Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hurrincane Florence
I was at a Lowes today, the 5400 watt contractor style gennies were lined up on carts, I saw about 15 go out the door. The customer service lady sighed and said in a week theyll be bringing them back, used or unused... she said it happens whenever there’s a crisis.
"Life is short, smile while you still have teeth."
When Lt. Gen. Russel Honore wrote his book about the Katrina crisis*, he told about the people in the flood zone who had generators and, even if they had a multi-story home, they left the gennies sitting on the ground to get soaking wet and be absolutely useless.

*Survival: How Being Prepared Can Keep You and Your Family Safe" (Atria Books, 2010)
European model has Florence hitting about Wilmington, but then dipping southward and coming to Atlanta. Is that thing chasing me?

Plan was to stay till the 14th, but everyone has decided to stay put. So, I pack and go West today.
1989 Honeywell motorhome
Ford E350 chassis.  460 engine
The official forcast is seemingly only giving a nod to the possibility of a stall and a sw along the coast movement that a lot of the models now agree upon. The one report outright said they did not want to nudge the official track too far south as it would be 'inconsistent' with their earlier track.

So now they are worried about how their inaccuracy appears, and trying to second guess the reactions people will take based on their info. not sure whether that is more indicative of incompetence in teh NHC or accurately portraying the sheeple's tendencies to second guess and both over and underreact.

What is likely is that there is no historical precedent for a storm of this magnitude, taking this track ( if it stalls and turns SW) and moving so slowly.

One satellite measured 84 foot seas in the SE quadrant of the storm.

Regarding the returned generators, I think the return policies of stores are a bit asinine. i can understand if it was never removed from the box, but used and then returned?....people have no honor. Entitlement gone amuck.
As for myself being raised in Southeast Texas I grew up with dealing with Hurricanes all my life. Just one of the many reasons that I'm a prepper all year every year. Then I can sit back and smile as I watch video after video of probably the same people that thought I was nuts for prepping for man made and natural scenarios as crazy....running around like little roaches prepping. HA HA. I have also many survival skills that I have learned and practiced using over and over. I don't mean to offend anyone here. That's not my intention.
And as far as the storms path goes and why the models are so correct in the recent years. Many of yall will still not believe me when I tell you that the weather is being modified and manipulated every day. Including Hurricanes. Need proof? Go see this site....
www.globalengineeringwatch.org. I can go through many external hard drives and produce historical truth where it is shown back for many many years what is being done to us and that they are screwing with Mother Nature. Can we say "Climate Change" ? How about "Chemtrails"? Doesn't matter....I'll just sit on the sidelines with the truth and smile at others that have not done the research.
#NomadLivesMatter  
Sternwake: "I think the return policies of stores are a bit asinine. i can understand if it was never removed from the box, but used and then returned?."

I've always wondered why they allow that. Gutless wonders?
I posted this over on the "other" site at the request of a friend, and figured I should share it here also...

the state of W Virginia is offering a 55% discount at their state parks for anyone fleeing Florence.

If you book online, you can use the discount code: FLORENCE

There's a popup on their homepage that shows this: www.wvstateparks.com

Stay Safe.
[-] The following 5 users say Thank You to JWM for this post:
  • rvpopeye (09-12-2018), TWIH (09-12-2018), AbuelaLoca (09-12-2018), TrainChaser (09-13-2018), Everyroadleadshome (09-14-2018)
Reading that made me wonder... I've camped in a tent in the rain. It wasn't great, but better than not having the tent.

But here in WA, we only get about 38" of rain per season. With Florence, a tenter might be facing 38" in just two or three days. Even removing wind from the equation, has anyone ever been in that position? Better choose high ground...
We camped at a fair grounds one time. During the night it started to rain. By 3 am we had a foot of water. By 5 we had 3 ft. By the time we had all the wet stuff loaded in the truck it was gone. LOL we were lucky the truck was not in the pond. I don’t want to do that again. I look for high ground.
I'm not lost. I'm exploring.
The doppler radar's last several frames make it appear as if it has stalled offshore. If it starts moving south while still offshore, then that's worse for South Carolina. The fact that its max winds are now down to cat2 will likely make people takeit less seriously, even though the windfield has expanded with each eyewall replacement cycle and th storm surge and the waves on top of that are going to be just as large as a cat4

My friend informed me that the call from H Mcmaster was a fake, but he is in a position where such official calls are not unexpected.

I did not think generators were shipped with oil in them, so if they are used, and returned...... I would not be happy if I bought a returned one. I had a friend in mexico who, when his contractor generator would shut off due to low oil, and he had no oil, would fill the crankcase with water and thought nothing of it.

Seems people who plan on returning something after using it, since they obviously have no honor, would not be putting anything near an acceptable motor oil inside of them.

I would hate to have to deal with the modern entitled Consumer