Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Travels in the Heavy Van
(09-05-2018, 12:24 PM)S Cello Wrote: I had some shorts once, but I left them in the Philippines in '09. A really nice pair of shorts are hard to come by it seems, if you're me!

So your mission in Quartzsite is to find the shorts that are perfect for your time in Q.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Blanch for this post:
  • S Cello (09-05-2018)
(09-05-2018, 12:03 PM)Blanch Wrote: The redwoods are beautiful. I moved here in 2004. I lived in Crescent City for 12 years.

Really? Drove from Lk Mead to the Orick last winter, stayed, yes, in my van down by the river Rolleyes

The forest was really awesome, is all i have to say.
Sometimes dweller in 237k miles '07 Grand C-van w/ a solar powered fridge and not much else
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MN C Van for this post:
  • Blanch (09-06-2018)
Here is the downtown traffic jam in Orick.[Image: 6c61b011d8794ed1258cd8d4281f7293.jpg]

I spent last Saturday night at the local lake shore with Spottie. I took no photos that night, but we were parked next to the only bush/tree in the area. It was a quiet but boring place - free.

Spottie had trouble using the portable ramp that I had built for him to get in and out of the van, so I dropped him off Sunday morning at home where my sister could care for him while I went up the Kern River to camp at a place called Big Meadow.

I was referred to Big Meadow by a friend who was saying how beautiful it was up there. He sure was right about that. He said that the elevation was 8000 ft asl, but the last sign I saw up there said 6900 ft. It was nice and cool up there, and cold at night. My sister saved me from freezing as just before I left she brought out an extra big warm quilt and put it in the van. My priority now for the van is to get my propane tanks installed and piped into the system so I an run my furnace.

No cell service up there meant I had a nice break from the internet.

I arrived on Sunday afternoon just as many hunters were leaving. I scored what has to be one of the best free campsites around Big Meadow. It had a tiny stream, a variety of big trees  and dozens of beautiful blue birds coming around in the afternoon.

Here are some photos I took during my two night stay there:

[Image: IMG_0321.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0334.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0335.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0339.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0341.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0349.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0363.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0344.jpg]
[-] The following 6 users say Thank You to S Cello for this post:
  • Blacktank (09-26-2018), Blanch (09-26-2018), Snikwahjm (09-26-2018), Texjbird (09-27-2018), MN C Van (09-30-2018), TrainChaser (10-12-2018)
Bloody lovely, mate. Sorry the pup is having a hard time getting in and out of the van. Getting out there is good though. :thumbsup

YARC : Drunk in the Mud/Keeper of the Dingy/Ears [Image: L3000.gif]/Potluck Contributions Restricted
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Putts for this post:
  • S Cello (09-26-2018)
Beautiful spot
monkeyfoot
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Cammalu for this post:
  • S Cello (09-27-2018)
Nice area, hasn’t burned up/down yet...  that’s one of the issues I have with N Cali, too darn many wildfires.   Sad
They say when you get older two things happen, one is you lose your memory and the other, I forget.

Organized people are simply too lazy to search for stuff.
Well, by the end of September I had installed the cargo carrier on the back of the van and strapped on two 7 gallon propane tanks, the generator and 3 five gallon gas tanks. On Monday, October 1st I loaded clothes, food and stuff and on Tuesday I headed back up the road for a longer stay near Big Meadow.

The first night I parked at a friends campsite off of a dirt road called "Spur 5". It was nice but didn't have much of a clear area for me to park my solar panels in.

[Image: IMG-0374.jpg]

[Image: IMG-0380.jpg]

[Image: IMG-0382.jpg]

[Image: IMG-0384.jpg]

[Image: IMG-0387.jpg]

The next morning I moved over to the campsite that I had used before that had the nice clear open space that my solar panels liked so well. I was glad to find that it was available.  
The next day I met an elderly couple who were camped just a short hike away. They live near me just on the other side of the lake, and the lady even goes to my church. The old guy INSISTED very firmly that I come over and camp next to their campsite just up the dirt road a bit. That area is very heavily wooded. The forest service has signs posted everywhere saying that the drought and bark beetles are causing trees and branches to fall, use caution and I parked in the clearest spot next to a HUGE downed tree. That night I was hearing crap and branches falling all night, which caused me stress and I ended up suffering a bad case of A-fib for the next 20 hours. 7:30 am the next morning I was boogying back to my clear campsite. I didn't get photos there at the wooded site as I felt too crappy.
Somewhere in all this, my hitch was riding a few inches low due to the weight and it caught on a large rock and flipped the 200+lb rock up and it tore a brace off of the cargo carrier.

[Image: IMG-0408.jpg]

I guess the cargo carrier didn't need that brace because it held everything ok for the rest of the trip.

Next day my friend Todd (from Spur 5) came by and we went for a ride over to "Channell Meadow". It's a real pretty place and had a 100 year old cabin owned by the forest service.

[Image: IMG-0393.jpg]

[Image: IMG-0396.jpg]

[Image: IMG-0403.jpg]

[Image: IMG-0407.jpg]

On that side trip, I saw the "Big Meadow, 8000 ft asl" sign.

I stayed in my nice open campsite there for 7 nights. I had daily offers from Todd and the old guy to go driving around with them but I didn't take them up on it as they were both hunting and I didn't want to get involved with dead animals. They never shot anything as far as I know, though.
I got an infection in my upper gum for a day or two but I had fish antibiotics with me and I only had to live on oatmeal for two days until the antibiotics worked and I could put my denture in without hollering.

Overall it was a real restful trip and I keep learning more about what I need and don't need. I'm making lists as I go. I returned home on Tuesday the 9th. I think that due to weather, this will be my last trip up there this year.

I want to go to Alabama Hills next, but I have a week of driveway surfing in southern ca to do from 10-17 to 10-25 while I get medical crap done to me by the VA. I hope to spend some time this winter at yarc camp and stop in for a look see at the RTR.
I have always wanted to do some exploring around Death Valley so I was thinking about going there for February.

In order to be able to afford my winter travels, I will need to shut off my utilities, internet and phone at this 3 bedroom house that I can't afford to live in. I'm trying to figure out the logistics of that now. And then there is Spottie... sad face.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to S Cello for this post:
  • Blanch (10-11-2018), TrainChaser (10-12-2018)