Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Travels in the Heavy Van
Yep, the van is heavy. It rides like a '68 Lincoln though and the V10 pulls it nicely.

I spent the last 10 nights sleeping in it and was quite comfortable. It's not completed yet, but the layout is working out well for me, and that is a good thing because it's all screwed together to beat hell.
I used a plastic tub on the floor for a sink as I have not built the little kitchen with the fancy dancy sink yet.

Spottie stayed home this trip as he's still suffering from back legs weakness. Also because this trip was me going down to the Los Angeles area to visit my 4 kids and 8 grandkids... Spottie doesn't much like little kids.

I was driveway surfing at the kids houses, though I never had to plug in to their power. The solar panels supplied all the power that I needed and a lot more. I never drew the battery bank down below about 84% and I had the Dometic fridge set at -4f. I used the microwave whenever I pleased, Fantastic fan was on nearly the whole time as well as phone charger and laptop.
I found that in the near future I will want to get one of those induction hot plates as I didn't like cooking with propane flame in the small van space. lol, I did actually light a small towel on fire using it for an oven mitt.

I also will be getting one of Jim from Denvers 400w tiny window air conditioners to mount in one of the back windows.
The weather was cool and cloudy in the am with clear sky by 10 am and the solar controller was in Float every day by one pm, sometimes by noon, with the battery bank at  100% so I think the solar could run the A/C for free in the afternoon after the batteries are 100% charged.

Well, I didn't take any photos, just didn't think of it, but I sure did enjoy my first trip in the camper van.
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to S Cello for this post:
  • rvpopeye (09-05-2018), Blanch (09-05-2018), Everyroadleadshome (10-11-2018)
Smile  IT SOUNDS LIKE IT WAS A GOOD TRIP.  

CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHAT 400 WATT AC OF Just Jim aka  Jim In Denver IT IS THAT YOU ARE SPEAKING OF?  I SAW A YOU TUBE VIDEO HE DID WHERE HE RAN A AC OFF OF HIS 1,000 WATT CHAMPION GENNY FROM HOME DEPOT.  I THINK THAT AC WAS A 5,000 btu.  I MAY BE MISTAKEN ON THAT.  IT SEEMED TO RUN QUIETLY

I MAY TRY TO HANG A SMALL AC IN ONE OF THE SAFARI'S REAR DOOR WINDOWS.  MY SAFARI BEGAN LIFE AS A 7 PASSENGER CONVERSION VAN.  IT HAS A REAR AC UNIT THAT HAS HAD NEW PARTS AND REPAIR WORK DONE TO GET IT WORKING AND I'VE RARELY USED IT IN THE NEARLY 2YRS I"VE HAD THE VAN.  I MAY NOT NEED A AC OTHER THAN WHAT THE VAN HAS NOW.  IT JUST DEPENDS ON WHERE AND WHEN I FINALLY GET TO GO SOMEWHERE.

JewellAnn
                                            I AIN'T DONE YET
                                    A CHANGE IS GONNA COME
                            MY  Heart  IS GOOD....BUT OH THIS MOUTH                         
Congrats you got out a bit!
We have an IKEA induction cook top. I just love it. It’s about a year old and we use it constantly. I use an antique cast iron Grizwald skillet and an IKEA pot to cook. The cookware has to have a flat bottom and a magnet has to stick to it. Our solar isn’t a big enough system to run the induction cook top so we run it off a little generator.
Nice!
8 grandkids! You lucky guy, I have zero, but my fingers are crossed.

I’m front yard camping right now, not my favorite way to camp, but visiting the kids is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(09-05-2018, 01:31 AM)Texjbird Wrote: CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHAT 400 WATT AC OF Just Jim aka  Jim In Denver IT IS THAT YOU ARE SPEAKING OF?

Ditto!

Good to hear of a trip that worked out well. That solar stuff really works well, doesn't it?
Sometimes dweller in 237k miles '07 Grand C-van w/ a solar powered fridge and not much else
CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHAT 400 WATT AC OF Just Jim aka  Jim In Denver IT IS THAT YOU ARE SPEAKING OF?  

Hi Jewelann. He did a very recent video with BW where he's showing a Frigidair window unit, a small probably 5000 btu unit that only draws 400 watts, running off his solar. He has two of them. It cost $180 something.

Thanks Snik for the info on the cookware. I hadn't thought of using a magnet.

Yeah, Blanch, It had been over a year since I had seen some of them, so it was great. BTW, one of my longest lasting friends has recently retired and he and his wife moved from Washington DC to Crescent City where they bought a nice house. They are telling me that they have a river/creek on property that has Salmon! I will definitely be going there a bit myself. You and I can probably meet up there one of these days during our travels if you'd like.  He has always been drawn to those redwood forests that you love. oh, seems like you where talking about a cardiologist recently. She is a retired cardiologist and he is a retired heart medicine scientist who worked for FDA. Poor guy hated the people he worked for, as he's honest.

MN C Van, I am blown away by how well the solar does!  It's amazing!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to S Cello for this post:
  • Blanch (09-05-2018)
The redwoods are beautiful. I moved here in 2004. I lived in Crescent City for 12 years.

Are you making to to Quartzsite this winter? A lot of us will be there.

Yes, I am planning to be in Quartzite this winter. Me and Putts are planning to be the wore out old guy section at YARC camp.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to S Cello for this post:
  • Blanch (09-05-2018), Putts (09-06-2018)
(09-05-2018, 12:06 PM)S Cello Wrote: Yes, I am planning to be in Quartzite this winter. Me and Putts are planning to be the wore out old guy section at YARC camp.

I wonder what section I belong in. I’m sure I ain’t right! I’ll be seeing you this winter!! Bring shorts, it is lovely to wear shorts in January!

I had some shorts once, but I left them in the Philippines in '09. A really nice pair of shorts are hard to come by it seems, if you're me!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to S Cello for this post:
  • Blanch (09-05-2018)