Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Dead and The Quick.
Living is for the living, or so the saying goes. But the influences of our dead haunt or remind us daily that life is precious. Be it a Father or Mother, Brother or Sister, or a spouse. Perhaps it is marching band of faces in the morning shower mists. Never the less; WE allow our dead to speak to us. 

“So primitive,” an anthropologist might observe if we were talking about a place outside of OUR place. But really is it? Do not the memories of those past give us guidance or perhaps the ability to accept a particularly awkward, or bad,  situation? 

I hear my own fathers voice when I find myself contemplating talking about my back pain. “The alternative is a little worse.” 

So many cultures do this openly and yet not us. We keep it to ourselves. Is it perhaps because the good book says; “Thou shall not communicate with the dead, for to do…”? Does the Christian influence, that few follow to the letter, have such a marked impact on the secular society? Or are we afraid of being viewed as primitive or superstitious? Perhaps crazy, a person of questionable intellect and grip on reality. 

Yet we all do it. 

Like masturbation, it is hidden away, out of sight and under the covers. Yet everybody still does it. 

It is thoughts like these that get me wondering how many other things does everyone, want, desires, fears, and ascribes? Yet we do not put a voice to it for fear of appearing unhinged. Is the Lemming need to be similar, or fear of being dissimilar, driving our lives? 

Do I read and subscribe to a Van Dwelling forum so I feel a familiar pull? Do I need that external validation to feel normal? Do I lie to myself and say I am here to help others? Don’t read me wrong I like to help, and those that know me know I am a generous person with both my time and my emotions. Still, I think it is good at times to turn on the fan and allow it to suck away the swirling ghosts of yesterday wipe off the mirror and look at the today. Aware and naked of obstructions. 

Just some thoughts as I do laundry in a hot and humid hell. The AC is broken and the pool is only for women at this time. My laundry is being washed by boys as women are not to permitted to wash the foreign clothing of men. So be it boys should learn to wash clothes as well. The coffee is strong and the Cuban is real and by doing laundry I mean watching. The situation just got me thinking about it as I mused how backward these locals are. Bringing me to the thought of hmm perhaps not so backwards as us? 

Today's mission should you choose to accept it is Green snakes. The little ones want to see the dangerous green tree snake. Yesterday our driver stopped to show us “The two-step Green bush snake.” Except it wasn’t it was a poor Green Mamba run over on its way home from feeding. Mamba’s are deadly you might retort. You’d be half right. The Black Mamba is very deadly but not all that poisonous. It is just very aggressive so it will bite you ten times or so. This unfortunate cousin is about 1/10th as poisonous and very docile. I explained in English to the children the driver was incorrect. He understood and was offended. Then using his language I told him to save his indignation for his mother in law. 
“Mr C, can we go look for a non-flat snake tomorrow?” 

So today I need to find a Bush Viper, most are green and while poisonous is still not a “2 step snake” for adults. The true 2 step is the Boomslang. It is a little snake and hard to find. It has long fangs, for a small snake, that are at the rear of its mouth. It can open it’s mouth almost flat as in 180 degrees so the fangs look very long. It is one of the most poisonous snakes on the continent. The area also has some Eastern Gabon Vipers and while deadly they are big, I believe the biggest, in the Viper world. Slow and not aggressive it would be nice to find one. 

Such is the life of Manny the Merc. 

Beast Master,JunkyMonkey,Drinks with Wolves,Fup'd Duck,Sheriff Ricochet Cockroach 4B's 1 cluster,3 TFMS Tempory Weirdo Overlord replacement 
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to Scott7022 for this post:
  • Snikwahjm (09-01-2018), GotSmart (09-01-2018), rvpopeye (09-01-2018), Putts (09-01-2018)
Funny thing about snake bites, they don't actually bite you. It is more of a quick puncture with the impact forcing the venom from the venom sack behind the hollow fangs to spurt forward. So a snake poke would probably be more accurate. And now rvpopeye will change his fish fetish to a snake fetish... I just know it.
MORATTA LESSRATTA  OFFICIAL YARC

About six weeks ago, while I was in the midst of working on the house, my first wife and mother of my four children was in a serious car accident. Head on collision on a two lane hwy at 50 mph each. She survived the crash, barely, and was rushed to a trauma center that was fortunately very close by. When my four children heard the news they all immediately high tailed it to her side. Within two days they were all there, holding her hand, teller her they loved her, and telling her where she was and what happened in case she could understand. After about ten days and five operations to remove her large intestine and 2/3 of her small intestine, she was stable enough to let her awake from the drug-induced coma. She couldn't speak, but she opened her eyes and squeezed the hands of her children. She knew they were at her side and felt their love.

Within a day or two, sepsis set in---she had lay open for days early on as they reconstructed her gut; sepsis was no surprise. As they prepared to go on the offensive with the infection, one eye strongly dialated and she fell back into a coma. Her circulation was poor, and future surgeries would remove half her tongue and three fingers. If she survived she would live with a colostomy bag and would, essentially, be unable to speak. The doctors and my children had the hard conversation. They went into a room together; cried very hard; and decided it was time to halt life support. Their mother passed with them all at her side.

It was such an eery feeling to know your children were together making decisions and having feelings that were theirs alone to have...I was a spectator to the hardest adulting they've ever done. I'm so proud of them for loving their mother with such strength.

Scott Wrote:Living is for the living, or so the saying goes. But the influences of our dead haunt or remind us daily that life is precious.

Indeed.
YARC : Drunk in the Mud/Keeper of the Dingy/Ears [Image: L3000.gif]/Potluck Contributions Restricted
[-] The following 6 users say Thank You to Putts for this post:
  • BCGuy (09-01-2018), GotSmart (09-01-2018), rvpopeye (09-01-2018), Scott7022 (09-02-2018), S Cello (09-05-2018), Blanch (09-07-2018)
Sorry to hear that Putts, but I believe they made the best decision they could have. And if only everyone could be so lucky to pass with their children at their side.

I pulled the plug on my Dad just over ten years ago today, a hard but necessary decision and I'd do it again and again and again if it were required.

Scott, a seriously interesting subject you bring up. I still find I make decisions quite often based on what I think would make my Dad proud or what he would do or advise me to do if still around. And there's a lot of comfort in that for me. I believe there is something else out there, it's crazy to me to think this is the only planet in this big old vast universe. Whether or not we or or souls continue to travel to other areas of the universe, or are reincarnated here, or get stuck somewhere in between two places, like a ghost, those are all fun to think about and seems easy enough to believe any such one of them is possible. I suppose there's only one real way to find out, but I've got too much living to do still, thus I don't plan on finding out anytime soon. But when it is my time, I think i'll be excited at the prospect of going somewhere new.....that old traveling spirit never lets you down! However, if we don't go anywhere and we just cease to be into nothing, well i'll never know, so that's ok too, if that's all that happens. Maybe the after life is as simple as your body decomposing in to the ground to give life to new bacterias and plants and whatever else happens during that process.
They chose wisely.
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC 
ROOIRIA  
15 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 7 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards
1 of which is a limited edition Turkey Poop Spreader (What a "Stinkin' " honor !)

Matter is never destroyed it just changes form. To energy perhaps on dust, it's science we are made of stars and will one day return to start new stars. Can't argue with science quantum science and facts.

I did the same for my Dad. He made it easy. "The day I can't wipe my own... I am done. Got me, boy?"

Yeah, Dad, I got this too!
Beast Master,JunkyMonkey,Drinks with Wolves,Fup'd Duck,Sheriff Ricochet Cockroach 4B's 1 cluster,3 TFMS Tempory Weirdo Overlord replacement 
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Scott7022 for this post:
  • Everyroadleadshome (09-02-2018)
i have plans to have my sister be the one to pull the plug on my mom and as soon as it flatlines start saying "you killed mom"
mixing my moms ashes in some cookie mix and feeding them to my sister
mixing my moms ashes with my dad and his new wife

does that make me a bad person? or just aint right

and i've decided to not work with Scott,his definition of "slightly dangerous" is different from mine
Change the forum theme-bottom right
yarc t-shirts
yarc stickers pirate edition
GARY
Being the forums foremost expert on such things Dodgy ................
"You Ain't Right"!
Confirmed...without  doubt!
T W O h s,,,,P. O. Tongue
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC 
ROOIRIA  
15 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 7 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards
1 of which is a limited edition Turkey Poop Spreader (What a "Stinkin' " honor !)

Gary, I totally get it with the sister thing. Do we have the same sister?
(09-02-2018, 04:43 AM)Snikwahjm Wrote: Gary, I totally get it with the sister thing. Do we have the same sister?

thats just me messing with the crazy one,the evil one i'm waiting for one of her 8? husbands to murder her and set me free
Change the forum theme-bottom right
yarc t-shirts
yarc stickers pirate edition