Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1961 Corvair Airstream
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/rvs/d...09085.html
What a cool ride. A little out of my budget but still cool. Probably wouldn't be able to stop at a gas station without a dozen or so folks wanting the story on it.
MORATTA LESSRATTA  OFFICIAL YARC

I had a 63 Corvair Greenbrier bus. 

They are not designed for heavy use. What is shown is a home built unit on a pickup frame.  A lot of money for a 55 year old truck camper. It looks cool, and would be something you take out to car shows.
Compared to parenting, Cat herding is less complicated 
I had two 65 Corvair's. Parts were scarce even back in the 80's
(08-12-2018, 04:31 PM)GotSmart Wrote: I had a 63 Corvair Greenbrier bus. 

They are not designed for heavy use. What is shown is a home built unit on a pickup frame.  A lot of money for a 55 year old truck camper. It looks cool, and would be something you take out to car shows.

That wasn't a home built camper, they were available commercially in both work and camper configurations.

The Corvairs were workhorses, and their only weak spot was in the manual transmissions, the automatics were great.

I had a factory camper van that had a solid walled pop top, and it's unique design slept 4 adults, and two kids, had a full kitchen, a toilet and a shower.  In the right hand picture you'll notice a dealer installed swamp cooler.  The pictures are examples, and not the exact ones I had.

I also had a Corvair powered UltraVan.  A Travco like motorhome.  Lightweight but powerful.  It was also cooled by swamp coolers.  Here's an example.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Handy_Dan for this post:
  • ratfink56 (08-13-2018)
That is not a factory conversion. It has no interior pictures and is definitely not a Airstream brand unit. Someone with skill made it, but not the GM factory. It started out as a Corvair 95 rampside pickup.   It has a camper shell on it with a lot of weight over the cab. Including solar panels. Propane tank, jugs of water and fuel. Not something I would want to drive in LA traffic.
Compared to parenting, Cat herding is less complicated 
It has cool factor though.

(I don't vvant to drive anything in LA traffic........)
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC 
ROOIRIA  
15 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 7 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards
1 of which is a limited edition Turkey Poop Spreader (What a "Stinkin' " honor !)

Wish there were inside the camper pictures to look at. I'm curious on how you'd access the engine compartment.

https://jalopnik.com/for-28-000-could-th...1789511868

Here it is with one inside picture.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Motrukdriver for this post:
  • GotSmart (08-13-2018)
Wow $28,000