Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
non-dehydrated Bread
It's not dehydrated, but it's bread in a can, so it's shelf stable! Smile

Specifically "B&M Brown Bread", a New England classic...

after trying a single can (bought in a grocery store), I now buy it by the case (of 12):
[Image: vd_bmbread_01.jpg]

it's prettty much the same size as a can of baked beans (they go very well together):
[Image: vd_bmbread_02.jpg]

it's baked right in the can, and has a nice dome on one end:
[Image: vd_bmbread_03.jpg]

... and indented shape at the bottom:
[Image: vd_bmbread_04.jpg]

the directions say to remove both ends, then push it out - I've tried variations, and the directions are the easiest way to get it out:
[Image: vd_bmbread_05.jpg]

rear view of the label, with ingredients, nutritional data, etc:
[Image: vd_bmbread_06.jpg]

a single slice:
[Image: vd_bmbread_07.jpg]

two toasted slices, with SPAM & cheese:
[Image: vd_bmbread_08.jpg]

If you read the Amazon reviews, there's lots of fussies who whine about the taste.
I wasn't sure if I'd like molasses, but have found that, having survived NATO Liver, combined with my aversion to wasting food, I can put up with pretty much anything, so tried a can. I liked it!

It goes particularly well with butter, and is tastiest after toasting.
Some Amazon reviewers claim it doesn't work as a sandwich bread, but I've found otherwise. I have tried other meats.

If you like a variety of bread, you'll probably enjoy this, so keep your eyes open for a can at grocery stores, and give it a try. It's often in the canned beans or in the baking supplies area.

I buy the cases on Amazon, so far always using Subscribe&Save, and have a CamelCamelCamel alert set up.
Best case price (after 15% s&s discount) is $20.20 ($1.68/can).
Grocery store price is roughly $3/can.
I saw a YouTube review by a non-Minimalist Millennial who bought a single can for $6, whined a lot about that price before he even opened it, then whined somewhat about the taste after trying it. : sigh :

Shelf life is typically 1 to 3 years.
I'm aging a few cans, and will report back in a while.

I usually have at least 2 cans in my car Key Items Tub (right under the mini trauma bag), so when I finally get to meet any of y'all, remind me, and we'll feast on one. Smile
me: newbie, temporarily stuck in a motel, in Wait Mode, still have lots of dumb Qs

"We are in a car." K9 to Mickey, "School Reunion", Doctor Who
"Cause how you get there is the worthier part." Shephard Book to Kaylee, "Serenity", Firefly
[-] The following 8 users say Thank You to Kaylee for this post:
  • Scott7022 (08-10-2018), Blacktank (08-10-2018), Putts (08-10-2018), Gary (08-10-2018), MN C Van (08-10-2018), Everyroadleadshome (08-10-2018), Motrukdriver (08-10-2018), heron (08-11-2018)
Well, I'll be darned. The looks interesting. I like molasses. Thanks for the tip, Kaylee.
YARC : Drunk in the Mud/Keeper of the Dingy/Ears [Image: L3000.gif]/Potluck Contributions Restricted
Unfortunately, it is pricey on amazon.ca and none of the local stores that have websites carry it.
I’ve never even heard of canned bread! I think I’d try it if I spot it on the shelves. Thanks for the tip Kaylee
monkeyfoot
I'm in the home state of B&M......Maine...…..I just saw the chimney at the factory on the way to Heron's

In Florida we used to slice the B&M bread.....dip it in egg and fry for "French toast" while camping
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Abnorm for this post:
  • heron (08-11-2018)
They also make beans.....
I remember driving by the factory on the Portland vvaterfront and smelling the baking since I vvas a kid.
Kinda like lobster,,,meh. Tongue
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC
14 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 6 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards!
1 of which is a limited edition Turkey Poop Spreader (What a "Stinkin' " honor !) + ROOIRIA

They make the best baked beans.
And there's this in a can

https://www.amazon.com/Simpsons-Spotted-...ywords=spo
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ratfink56 for this post:
  • rvpopeye (08-11-2018)
Some vveird form of birth control ????
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC
14 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 6 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards!
1 of which is a limited edition Turkey Poop Spreader (What a "Stinkin' " honor !) + ROOIRIA

I t, and I can't wait to try that. Sounds just right.love the beans and the bread. Ed won't touch the bread, so I don't bother getting it too often. Abnorm told me about french toasting and I think that sounds just right. Can't wait to try it.
One gloriously stinkin' badge.