• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quartzfest
http://quartzfest.org/about.html

Who's going?
We will be a couple miles down the road
monkeyfoot
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Cammalu for this post:
  • Xanthorhizas (07-27-2018)
Textosturgis will be there. He has a top grade setup in his trailer.
Compared to parenting, Cat herding is less complicated
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to GotSmart for this post:
  • Xanthorhizas (07-27-2018)
Yep.

They have food and portapotties....what else do ya need?

Oh...bring yer own beer and chair.
Wondering about Wandering.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
  • heron (07-27-2018), Xanthorhizas (01-03-2019)
so tex2,how much juice is needed to operate a portable HAM system?
(07-27-2018, 12:35 PM)Gary Wrote: so tex2,how much juice is needed to operate a portable HAM system?

There are basically 3 power levels, low power, around 2-10 watts output, called QRP, can run on a motorcycle battery easily. A 20 watt panel can easily charge this battery. 

Mid or medium, what we usually call 'barefoot', around 90-125 watts, can run on a single, normal size, deep cycle battery. 100-200 watts of solar will run this day and night more or less continuously, depending on duty cycle, cloudiness, weather, etc.

The big boys, running 500 to 1500 watts of output (called QRO) will normally use a generator. 

Keep in mind that those output power levels are always intermittent duty cycle, during transmit only. During receive there is very little power being used.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
  • heron (07-27-2018)
Could anyone please share their opinions of the different gatherings that happen in that area around that time of year? Blush
I don't have any opinions of the different groups because they all go there for their own reasons. I know of two other gatherings that happen around that time frame. Skoolies - the bus people and Boomers - the my age group from the Escapees. I'm sure there are many more, just not aware of them.
  [Image: 414097000.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Motrukdriver for this post:
  • Xanthorhizas (01-03-2019)
Just FYI:

You dont have to a ham, or even be interested in ham radio, to attend Quartzfest.

Here is a list of activities:

http://quartzfest.org/activities.html#

Lots of stuff to do for anyone...Hams tend to be a social bunch, always interested in meeting new people, sharing ideas, etc. 

And there is no stigma for not being a ham, no one ever checks credentials or anything like that. 

Newcomers are always welcome. 

I did meet one dickhead out there...any large group of people will have a bad apple or two!

But overall, it's a fun gathering.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
  • Xanthorhizas (01-03-2019)
Sure wish I could get my license.