Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dometic 12v
I have seen some people put a fan in the chimney behind the fridge blowing more air up through and increasing the fridge's efficiency , especially in hot weather when it struggles otherwise..
During my winter in Death Valley I found lots of weird but great hacks like that.
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC
13 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 5 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards!
1 of which is a limited edition Turkey Poop Spreader (What a "Stinkin' " honor !) + ROOIRIA

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to rvpopeye for this post:
  • heron (07-10-2018)
(07-09-2018, 08:24 PM)heron Wrote:  I hadn't realized groceries sold dry ice. 

The larger ones often do. It's normally sold by the pound, so if you dont need much, you can look in the cooler for a partially 'melted' block, and it will cost less than a bigger, newer piece. 

Of course, there should be someone to help you, and they will use gloves or tongs to handle the dry ice....you should also, or wrap it in a towel, when you transfer it to the freezer. 

And dry ice will outgas, so be sure to open the freezer a couple of times when the dry ice is in there. The gas is harmless carbon dioxide, the same stuff we exhale. 

A small block of it poses no health risks.
Wondering about Wandering.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
  • heron (07-10-2018)
There was debate on that other forum many years ago, on the dry ice co2 displacing the breatheable air inside a vehicle with good door seals.

I was behind someone in the grocery store who wanted dry ice and the store clerk had some sort of procedure to follow, California legal wise, where the purchaser had to hand over their ID.

Turns out you've got to be 21 years old to buy dry ice in California, as it can be made to go boom, and kids will be kids.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to sternwake for this post:
  • heron (07-10-2018)
You could freeze all the food and eat what ever thaws first.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Snikwahjm for this post:
  • heron (07-10-2018)
Our fridge sips propane. We never level unless we are going to be somewhere for a long time. Never had any problem at all. Just use the propane. Your bill will be negligible
monkeyfoot
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Cammalu for this post:
  • heron (07-10-2018)
(07-10-2018, 04:32 AM)Cammalu Wrote: Our fridge sips propane. We never level unless we are going to be somewhere for a long time. Never had any problem at all.  Just use the propane. Your bill will be negligible

Hoping this one will, too, now that it's cooled off. Seemed as though it was flying through propane, at first. But who knows how accurate the gauge is? I can drive hundreds of miles on the first half tank of gas, and a whooole lot less on the second. Smile
One gloriously stinkin' badge. 
(07-09-2018, 11:46 PM)sternwake Wrote: There was  debate  on that other forum many years ago, on the  dry ice co2 displacing the breatheable air inside a vehicle with good door seals.

I was behind someone in the grocery store who wanted dry ice and the store clerk had  some sort of procedure to follow,  California legal wise, where the purchaser had to hand over their ID.

Turns out you've got to be 21 years old to buy dry ice in California, as it can be made to go boom, and kids will be kids.

Laws are funny.

You can be 16 and get a drivers license to operate a 4000 pound, 400 hp car at 80 mph, but you can't buy dry ice. 

I think the warning about displacement of breathable air would be moot in a moving vehicle, a LOT of air circulates thru the vehicle while in motion. And a few pounds of dry ice sublimating (melting) during the course of a day or two, with hvac on, or windows open and doors being opened....not really a problem in normal use.

The carbon dioxide gas is the same stuff that we exhale.

There are risks with driving, using propane or gasoline, shooting pistols at the range, riding a bicycle, etc etc, and yes, even using dry ice has a couple of risks.

I know Miss Heron personally, I know she has a lot of common sense. She will be fine, either way.
  • heron (07-11-2018)
(07-10-2018, 09:12 AM)tx2sturgis Wrote:
(07-09-2018, 11:46 PM)sternwake Wrote: There was debate on that other forum

I think the warning about displacement of breathable air would be moot in a .

Some idiot discovered years ago they could disrupt anyone's idea by making it a dire safety issue.

Of course, typing out that warning from their apartment they haven't left to do anything substantial 30yrs.
Sometimes dweller in 234k miles '07 Grand C-van w/ a solar powered fridge and not much else
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MN C Van for this post:
  • heron (07-11-2018)
(07-10-2018, 04:32 AM)Cammalu Wrote: Our fridge sips propane. We never level unless we are going to be somewhere for a long time. Never had any problem at all.  Just use the propane. Your bill will be negligible

I find that I only need to worry about the fridge being level to start it on propane.  Once it is transferred from AC or DC, it just keeps running.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to BCGuy for this post:
  • heron (07-10-2018)
(07-10-2018, 02:25 PM)MN C Van Wrote: Some idiot discovered years ago they could disrupt anyone's idea by making it a dire safety issue.

Yeah thanks to dry ice, as kids we were always able to buy hard frozen fudgesickles and ice cream sammiches from the 'ice cream man' driving thru the neighborhoods (in a van!) with some loud jangly version of The Entertainer or some other crappy music playing on the PA horn. Ah...those warm summer afternoons. 

In my neighborhood now, these guys walk around pushing ice cream carts...pulling on a string with chimes or bells. Very retro. And the insulated box on the cart is filled with ice cream cones, banana fudgesickles, other sweet goodies, and dry ice. 

And amazingly, no harm is done.
  • heron (07-11-2018)