Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ROCKET STOVES
Does anyone here have experience building a Rocket Stove?  Using one?  Using a store bought one?

I'm thinking I could save using up propane or butane or building campfires if I had a rocket stove.   The few videos I've seen show that they use very little fuel, mainly small sticks.  So far I've seen "Tiny House Prepper" build one out of 25 bricks and cook chicken rice soup using their Thrive freeze dried food.  It sure looked good. 
I just don't want to drag around 25 bricks on a road trip <<<<<  Huh  <<<< as soon as I'd drop one on my foot my hair would do this while I cussed and added "Brick Dance" to my other "Lizard "and "Frog" dances. Queenie seems to find them amusing.  Just as soon as she stops running she always looks back to watch.

I was watching a "Cook Off" between a DIY rocket stove built out of a Turkey Fryer and a commercially built R.S.....BORING      Rolleyes I'LL GO BACK AND FAST FORWARD A FEW TIMES TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

JEWELLANN
        AND THAT'S ALL I'VE GOT TO SAY ABOUT THAT   "FORREST GUMP"   

JUST SAYING A THING DOES NOT MEAN IT WILL HAPPEN

I'M NOT HERE   Cool   YOU DIDN'T SEE ME

[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Texjbird for this post:
  • rvpopeye (06-10-2018), American Nomad Patriot (06-11-2018)
I can buy 5-gallon propane refills for $9.00 locally and refill a quart green bottle with a brass screw cap for .45 cents.
2012 Gothic motif Ford Transit Connect XLT Cargo Van w/22k miles & 160 watts of solar power
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Mr.LooRead for this post:
  • American Nomad Patriot (06-11-2018)
(06-10-2018, 05:51 PM)Mr.LooRead Wrote: I can buy 5-gallon propane refills for $9.00 locally and refill a quart green bottle with a brass screw cap for .45 cents.

Smile   It costs $15 to swap out a Blue Rhino at Wal Mart here in L.A.  Just a few $$$ more than by the lb at Tractor Supply.  My bottles were old so I swap for the newest ones at WM and when I'm sure I've got the best I can I'll start looking for the cheapest propane.

If I'm using a propane frig when I boondock I'll want to make sure I can keep my 2 kinds of insulin safe. I'll want 2 cooling sources as the price on both insulins has gone up to appx $3,700 cash for a 90 day supply. Thankfully I have good insurance and low co-pays

Jewellann
        AND THAT'S ALL I'VE GOT TO SAY ABOUT THAT   "FORREST GUMP"   

JUST SAYING A THING DOES NOT MEAN IT WILL HAPPEN

I'M NOT HERE   Cool   YOU DIDN'T SEE ME

[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Texjbird for this post:
  • American Nomad Patriot (06-11-2018), heron (06-23-2018)
Walmart has the best price on insulin if you use threirs. Costco some times has propane...
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Snikwahjm for this post:
  • American Nomad Patriot (06-11-2018), Texjbird (06-12-2018)
Sounds like a good idea, as long as there's a supply of fuel. I don't have room for propane.

Along similar lines,  was thinking a tiny woodstove, great for forests were there's lots of fuel, but i noticed there's areas where you couldn't find a piece of wood for miles.

Are there DIY plans? Let us (non propane) people know what you find!
Sometimes dweller in 234k miles '07 Grand C-van w/ a solar powered fridge and not much else
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MN C Van for this post:
YT has video about tiny back packing cook stoves. You can buy them on line or you can buy a small alcohol stove at WM
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Snikwahjm for this post:
There's a thing called a Solo Stove, it works by using leaves, twigs, small pieces of wood. I got rid of mine, way too impractical during stage 2 fire bans.
One Stinkin Badge!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to waldenbound for this post:
I saw another YT'er nomad vandweller that has his green 1 lb bottles stored in a piece of what looked like 3-4" PVC sewer and drain pipe. Then he secured the pipe to the back inside corner of his van. Which I could imagine that be adapted to put the pipe with caps or in sections that would allow someone to mount the tube/pipe horizontally etc.
And he mounted two plastic milk crates on the back bumper for the larger cylinders. He put two more milk crates on top of them to box them in. Looked pretty compact and easy access too.
#NomadLivesMatter  
I don't know how enforced things are south of the 49th but I know the transportation of explosive substances is regulated pretty strongly in the North.
Past the law inside is always an issue for me. There is a story on here someplace about propane...and I.

Past the jocularity propane is dangerous and the little detector that NO ONE checks, the battery, intakes clean, expiry date ok! Yes, they have an expiry date.

To the OP I have used the large rocket style stove by https://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/campstove-2

It is handy in a backpacking application and the added USB charging is a great thing in our modern world. I have used them is extreme fire risk areas on a picnic table. They don't smoke much and they get hotter than regular non-fan version my friend has. I have had Rangers come by when I was using it, under a fire ban, and nothing was said. I had a bucket of water and sand next to the cooker. It uses garbage fuel and looks interesting enough I think they just let it go. If you have an 800 phone plugged into it then you are going to be sitting next to it. Right?

Says I am being responsible. The charge function is not bad, mine didn't have an extra battery on the stove just the device plugged in. It worked well for charging a GPS and cell phone and a USB flashlight.

Dual purpose is good. Style form and function tend to score points as well.
Beast Master,JunkyMonkey,Drinks with Wolves,Fup'd Duck,Sheriff Ricochet Cockroach 4B's 1 cluster,3 TFMS Tempory Weirdo Overlord replacement 
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Scott7022 for this post:
  • rvpopeye (06-12-2018), Texjbird (06-18-2018)
(06-12-2018, 03:14 AM)Scott7022 Wrote: I don't know how enforced things are south of the 49th but I know the transportation of explosive substances is regulated pretty strongly in the North.

Interesting. Down here they seem to encourage use of explovive substances in transportation.
What do you put in your cars up there?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJC4YiBK4pXBuzdpWdJFa...F1x7QqIJFw]

LoL
Couldn't resist
Sometimes dweller in 234k miles '07 Grand C-van w/ a solar powered fridge and not much else