Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear fence - What should I know?
Looking for info on a diy portable bear fence setup. Have done abit of reading on them, but need more Intel! Lol.

I have read about some portable setups using a Speedrite AN20 Energizer. It uses 2 D cell batteries. I want more "punch" than this. 

What do I need to have to setup a 50' square(50' x4 sides = 200' total length x2 wires) around my van using my house bank as energy source?

Is this doable for around or under $200 and last 5+ years(hopefully)? If so...

What would you suggest as an Energizer for wire? Needs to be weatherproof and run off 12v or 120v.

Suggestions on poles. (Durable and can be pounded into hard ground. Will have one wire about 8-12" from ground and another wire about 30-36" from ground.)

Insulators for poles?

I want it to be...

1"+ Equine fence tape(for visibility but not a must)
1 wire "hot", so touch just one wire and zappo!(this is a must)
Useable in wet weather.(this is a must)
Wire easily rolled up and reuseable for years.

Hopefully this makes sense to someone in the know. I am thinking on using 2 strips of 200' fence wire so if area won't fit 50' square, I can make fence smaller with 25' square using just one wire for top and bottom.

Thnx!
Everyone has been talking about how incredible you are, I have to agree. You're pretty awesome! 
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Wabbit for this post:
  • American Nomad Patriot (05-15-2018)
I got a little background with electric fences. If you go to the Tractor Supply website and search "Electric Fence" it will come up with many options. One being Solar powered controllers. You'll find something there to fit your application most likely. Copy & Paste this link to the solar fence controller.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produc...ce-charger

BTW...If you hook it to your rig while your gone away it will work excellent for security in urban environments. Nobody will touch your rig twice ..and dogs wont piss on your tires but once !! My dad used to hook his up to his truck to teach the dogs not to piss on his tires and rims. That cured them first sprinkle of tinkle !! LOL
#NomadLivesMatter  
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to American Nomad Patriot for this post:
  • Wabbit (05-15-2018), Snikwahjm (05-18-2018), TWIH (05-31-2018)
What to know?

Bears eat wabbits.  Use lots of pepper spray because they like spicy food.
Making this country better with every generation. 
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to GotSmart for this post:
  • Mr.LooRead (05-15-2018), Wabbit (05-15-2018), Cammalu (05-16-2018), Snikwahjm (05-18-2018)
(05-15-2018, 04:05 PM)American Nomad Patriot Wrote: ...If you hook it to your rig while your gone away it will work excellent for security in urban environments. Nobody will touch your rig twice ...

This idea is so awesome! Then I googled abit...people are such f'n sue happy victims now a days. Excellent idea, but I don't see it working in reality. If a kid touched it and something bad happened...
Everyone has been talking about how incredible you are, I have to agree. You're pretty awesome! 
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Wabbit for this post:
  • American Nomad Patriot (05-16-2018), Snikwahjm (05-18-2018)
Okay now...I musta fallen asleep.  You need a electrified fence for around your what? where?

I don't think this will work on Federal/State Lands.  Would work maybe 'til the 1st human got zapped. 

My Papa did put a steel plate on the ground across the entry to our metal garage and electrified the whole thing at night.  Stopped the raids on the big chest freezer in the garage.

Jewellann
        AND THAT'S ALL I'VE GOT TO SAY ABOUT THAT   "FORREST GUMP"   

JUST SAYING A THING DOES NOT MEAN IT WILL HAPPEN

I'M NOT HERE   Cool   YOU DIDN'T SEE ME

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Texjbird for this post:
  • Wabbit (05-16-2018)
Here's some info on bear fencing I found, doesn't get too much into the particulars but a very good over view by someone with a lot of camping with grizzlies experience.

http://www.bearsmart.com/docs/portable-e...-smith.pdf
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Everyroadleadshome for this post:
  • Wabbit (05-16-2018)
That's a good short read ERLH. Thanks.

The fence will be used around my van when up in the mountains of Colorado. Bear fences are encouraged in some places by the National Park Service. We are planning some SWA camping in CO also, will ask about rules on State land when buying permits. The fence isn't for show, if I'm in an area where there's lots of human activity, I don't imagine a bear fence will be needed.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Wabbit for this post:
  • Everyroadleadshome (05-16-2018)
Wabbit

I spent decades boondocking in the Rockies. Incidents are rare and you are far better off making it so the bears are not tempted than by trying to keep them out.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to justjim for this post:
  • Wabbit (05-16-2018)
I'll second Jim. I live in bear country...I've seen two in the wild (not counting driving through Yellowstone, cuz you see them there pretty regularly). Best thing is hard sides and keep your campspot clean as a whistle. If boondocking, make your campfire and eating spot 50 yards away from your vehicle, and keep the area around the vehicle spotless. Don't let the dogs run free, animals will often follow them or flush them back into camp. I've not had this problem, but my buddy Paul had a moose follow a dog back into camp. Kinda made a mess of things...almost killed the dog by stomping on him.

Never heard of people using fences, but your links seem legit. Seems like too much trouble to me.

There's a saying up here:

You only see 1 in 100 bears.
Only 1 in 100 bears you see will not instantly flee.
Only 1 in 100 bears that don't instantly flee will come towards you.
Only 1 in 100 that com towards you will charge.
Only 1 in 100 that charge will attack.

So they say. I hear of significant bear attacks only once a year or so.
YARC : Drunk in the Mud/Keeper of the Dingy/Ears [Image: L3000.gif]/Potluck Contributions Restricted
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Putts for this post:
  • American Nomad Patriot (05-16-2018), Wabbit (05-16-2018)
I've also heard of people drawing a circle of pee around their tent to mark the territory. I doubt this works...but it's funny. Also, being 62 I doubt I could manage to pee and walk at the same time, much less manage 80 feet of trail.   Sad
YARC : Drunk in the Mud/Keeper of the Dingy/Ears [Image: L3000.gif]/Potluck Contributions Restricted
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to Putts for this post:
  • American Nomad Patriot (05-16-2018), Wabbit (05-16-2018), GotSmart (05-16-2018), Cammalu (05-17-2018)