Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inverter/Charger Problem, Maybe ?.
I removed the Magnatek converter from my Class A also. A Outback Power Systems inverter/charger does a charge if the solar isn’t keeping up. Both together can take care of the battery fairly well. Right now it’s plugged into the grid with the charger turned down to the lowest setting of 5 amps on this particular model. I’d rather have a tiny little micro hydro turbine to recharge the batteries overnight and help the solar. That would be the cats meow.
Old thread, but I too upon ruining my first battery in my new to me Roadtrek threw out the Magnetek and installed a Progressive Dynamics converter. It was a direct replacement, no modifications required. When my van now sits, it is plugged in all the time with no problems. The radio I installed does not buzz anymore due to the poor filtering on the old Magnetek either. Never looked back since.

Shadow, did you replace the converter yet?
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.   Angel
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to B and C for this post:
  • Wayne49 (12-27-2018)
Thanks for the tip on replacing an aging, buzzing Magnatek with a PD unit.
I replaced the converters on both of my TTs and used the Progressive Dynamics converters too.  I have been very happy with them and always recommend them.
I like the pd.converters as if one has the pendant/wizard one can choose one of 3 different voltages for manual charging
You don't have to have the pendant. It is only for remote access without opening the power bay cover (the main one where you look at the fuses). There is a button with a green LED that flashes to let you know what it is doing. Press the little button to change what state it is in. My converter is down by the floor and a little awkward to get to but I hardly ever change what state of charge it is doing.

Each fuse position also had an LED that will light up if that fuse is blown. I love mine.
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.   Angel
I am only personally familiar with the PD9245, and these require the phone jack with wizard/pendant, if one wants to manually override the automatic 'stages'.

The pd 9200 series are stand alone fully enclosed converters, the 9100 series are drop in replacements for failed Wfco's or other converters where the converter portion is part of a larger electrical distribution panel. I am not familair with the 9100 series

Not everybody does wish for manual control of chaarging stages and just will assume that automatic means good enough, but i'd rather be able to press a button and force the converter to seek and hold 14.4v for 4 more hours rather than hope 13.8v will get er done.
I put in a 4635 which is a direct replacement for the old Magnatek converter I had.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/power-...00-series/
Brian