Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a complete solar hydronic van heating system
[Image: m808675036_1.jpg?1478785270]
2012 Gothic motif Ford Transit Connect XLT Cargo Van w/22k miles & 160 watts of solar power
Ture or false?

If the six gallons of water in the jug reaches 100F at sunset and the jug is placed in the sleeping chamber overnight and the water in the jug is equal to the ambient air temp of 50f at sunrise the total amount of free BTUs produced by the heated water overnight is 2500?
2012 Gothic motif Ford Transit Connect XLT Cargo Van w/22k miles & 160 watts of solar power
No idea, but if you sleep 8 hours, your body will generate about that same 2500btu.

How's that Rubbermaid waterjug? Tried finding one, but all I'm getting in search results are the round insulated types.
Everyone has been talking about how incredible you are, I have to agree. You're pretty awesome! 
LoL.

Anyone actually use excess solar to heat water during day?
(05-12-2018, 04:43 PM)MN C Van Wrote: LoL.

Anyone actually use excess solar to heat water during day?

I was actually "considering" coiling some black painted rubber hose around the exterior around the roof of my rig. Then with a valve I could divert the water through it for a shower. My other idea was to find a way to divert my radiator hot coolant/water into something where I could run copper tubing through. Then at least by burning a little fuel I could run the engine and heat the water in the tubing as it passed through the extra thingy (I haven't thought this through too much..can you tell?) .
#NomadLivesMatter  
I have a 45 watt 12v heating pad and andother one thas is ~65 watts with a smaller footprint to heat up my Showerbags. The 45 watt version is more efficient and not much slower to heat the 4 to 5 galoons of water to 100F

It consumes a lot of jiuce though,

it takes abotu 36Ah to get 65f water to 100F and takes some 10 to 12 hours to do so. Variables are the amount of insulation I add under and above the pad and showerbag, and the starting temperature of the water, and whether I decied to expose the bag to sunlighton my black dashboard.

The oter day i went surfing with a bag filled with 62 degree water. i used the 65 watt heating pad on the black dashboard with teh 4 gallon stearns showerbag atop it in the sunlight.

2 hours later the water was 100F and it consumed only 8.8AH.

Maintiaining 100F water overnight can be as low as 8AH consumed, but again it depends on just how manu clothes or other insulation I use around the showerbag.

I've gone through many showerbags over the last 10 years.

My favorite is this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Elements...dpSrc=srch

but I just got this one to try which is only 4 gallons and fits my system better:

https://www.amazon.com/Stearns-Sun-Showe...shower+bag

Do not use the plastic hollow rods provided with these bags, get a 3/4 inch Oak or hardwood dowell.

I tried one other Showerbag style, but consider it a failed experiment, as the handle must Always be kept upright or it leaks.
I would not recommend this bag except in cases where it will be hung in the sun:

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Elephant-So...n+elephant

My 45 watt heating pad is no longer offered. They now offer this 30 watt version, but there are other brands available.

no timer involved or heat settings on mine, but some others do have the timer, which is not desirable for heating shower bags with excess solar or simply with battery caacity.

I do use the 45 watt pad as a regular sore back heating pad or to help me warm up a cold mattress. The Ciggy plugs are cut off and thicker wiring leads to the pad, makng that 45 watts more like 52 watts at 12.8v the higher the voltage the higher the wattage, and i have also powered the heating pads directly off of solar panels, but they must be in full contact with teh showerbag or they can burn the heating wire insulation, which resulted in my smaller footprint ~65 watt heating pad with teh smaller footprint, after cutting out the burnt wire and soldering together the unburnt parts.

I've not put the 5 gallon hot showerbag under the covers with me but would consider it if I did not winter in coastal Sandy eggo.

I've got several ideas for heating the showerbags to 110F electrically, in a more efficient manner, but likely will not explore them until the Autumn.

With summer sun, putting the showerbag in the direct sun can do way more in 2 hours than a 45 watt heating pad can do in 8 hours .

Once I started heating the bags electrically i started considering them, when heated directly by sunlight, to be a way of conserving energy.
****Critical update****

There is no room for the 6-gallon model. My 30watt portable solar panels are in that interior space allotment.

The complete solar hydronic van heating system will be limited to this 2.5 gallon can sprayer.

[Image: ae81f9b092378f07f9db35167b0ae4a8.jpg]