Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home built vs Mass produced question
I've workamped since the late 1900s and I've seen this rule in action....well , sort of.

Unless your rig is falling apart and looks like an accident victim.
You will have no problem.

Most of the places won't even look. Dodgy

The ones that do are few and far and usually top dollar expensive.

Some will ask for your registration but , again only the snooty ones.

I wouldn't worry about this at all.

Like ERLH said just go somewhere else.
Odds are slim you'll go to 2 in a row !
(Unless you're in high season in a tourist trap area.)

Build or buy what YOU want to live in and don't sweat the small stuff .
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ye a pirate or what ????? Aye ,,, thought so.

Most of our group will not want to park in a campground at all or very rarely anyway........
(the stories of bad campground neighbors Rolleyes will have to wait for another thread )
stay tuned 
popeye

Weirdo Overlord : FMS Fleet Ops , Awards , Badges ,  aka Tamerlane the Impaler Mod.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to rvpopeye for this post:
  • Everyroadleadshome (03-28-2018), heron (06-21-2018)
(03-27-2018, 09:32 PM)technomadness Wrote: I will say, though, if you’re willing to tow, it seems travel trailers are very cheap.  It’s a good way to get your feet wet.   I thought about it a lot but decided the overall length of a trailer (even small one) and tow vehicle was too much for me— I want to have the Alaska marine highway as an option.

I've always enjoyed towing, i've done so much of it, I barely notice a trailer back there anymore.  From my contracting business where I had a trailer behind me everyday for seven years, many of those days in downtown Boston, boats on trailers, and even owned a few mass produced camping trailers.....they are cheap used....cheap in price and quality.  Thus the reason for wanting to build something on my own....and I've made a living building things.  

I've always wanted to do an Alaskan road trip,  if I wanted to access the marine highway, I think i'd store the trailer and just use the truck for that portion of the trip.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Everyroadleadshome for this post:
  • Ballenxj (03-29-2018), heron (06-21-2018)
(03-28-2018, 08:18 PM)Everyroadleadshome Wrote:
(03-27-2018, 09:32 PM)technomadness Wrote: I will say, though, if you’re willing to tow, it seems travel trailers are very cheap.  It’s a good way to get your feet wet.   I thought about it a lot but decided the overall length of a trailer (even small one) and tow vehicle was too much for me— I want to have the Alaska marine highway as an option.

I've always enjoyed towing, i've done so much of it, I barely notice a trailer back there anymore.  From my contracting business where I had a trailer behind me everyday for seven years, many of those days in downtown Boston, boats on trailers, and even owned a few mass produced camping trailers.....they are cheap used....cheap in price and quality.  Thus the reason for wanting to build something on my own....and I've made a living building things.  

I've always wanted to do an Alaskan road trip,  if I wanted to access the marine highway, I think i'd store the trailer and just use the truck for that portion of the trip.
Same here on the used to towing. Bet you can relate to taking turns wider than necessary when you're not towing anything.  Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to RepublicOfTXPatriot for this post:
  • Everyroadleadshome (04-03-2018), heron (06-21-2018)
Who wants to camp in one of those 'nose in the air' places, anyway?
(04-03-2018, 02:47 PM)TrainChaser Wrote: Who wants to camp in one of those 'nose in the air' places, anyway?

Sometimes it's not so much a want but a need.......east coast has a lot less open land than out West, not as many state and national parks and not as big of ones when they do.  

And one of my favorite things to do is explore and fish new bodies of water.....mainly lakes and rivers I can boat on and lot's of time the only way to stay on or near them is to use a private campground.

However, I'd stay away from the overly stuck up places regardless. Thankfully New England is full of down to earth easy going folks so finding places shouldn't be all that difficult.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Everyroadleadshome for this post:
  • heron (06-21-2018)
ERLH: "Does anyone have any experience with their homebuilt rig and getting into private campgrounds? Do some allow them, none allow them or just luck of the draw?"

Passing on a late comment that I just remembered from a couple of years ago...

My first introduction to tiny mobile homes was when I ran across one of Lloyd Kahn's books, "Homework -- Handbuilt Shelter". He has several others, too -- lots of good ideas for the home builder.

Somewhere, a couple of people made the comment that they discovered that if they were hauling a 'cute' tiny home, people would nearly fall all over themselves to offer them a place to park on their property. But I don't think they mentioned RV parks, and they didn't interest me then, either, so I may have overlooked something.
Here, print one out.  Might get a vinyl one printed at Office Max or Staples.

[Image: 413849398.jpg]
  [Image: 414097000.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Motrukdriver for this post:
  • AbuelaLoca (04-12-2018), Everyroadleadshome (04-12-2018), TWIH (06-22-2018)
Yo Mo!!!! You and Anna down the road a piece??? Was just wishing y'all were on here so I could get my free meal! :-D
viajes seguros
Just across the state a bit. Head east towards St. Louis and then turn right. What a beautiful day it is today in Park Hills.
  [Image: 414097000.jpg]
In CA, near Encinitas where we were visiting friends, when I called a couple of campgrounds, they asked me the year and make of my rv, and when I said '88, they were appalled, and I was not welcome.That was the first and last time I had a problem, but I do have the coveted medallion on the old Roadtrek. Had we not needed a place to be for one night, I'd not have called, nor did I have any desire to stay in their snotty ass place. Though we'd been told that we'd be rousted at WalMart, we did anyway, off in the corner, showing no lights, and had no problem.
Two gloriously stinkin' badges.
Official YARC ship’s navigator.