Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Judge declares Seattle mans' truck 'his home'
A man who has been living in his truck since 2014 ran up $900 in tickets for his poor choices in parking spots, and his truck was impounded.  A judge has declared the truck his home, basing his decision on the 123-year-old Homestead Act that prevents a person's  home being sold to satisfy debts.  The news media is saying that this "could be a landmark decision".

The city can appeal, and I would bet they will. 

http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/judge-de.../711526241
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to TrainChaser for this post:
  • Texjbird (03-06-2018), Ballenxj (03-06-2018), rvpopeye (03-07-2018), Heidi Mull (03-07-2018)
In the world of courts going by Case law (Admiralty law/ Corporate Entity)..instead of Constitutional law this is a landmark case. Please keep us posted on this case. It could mean alot to us Nomads now and in the future.
(03-06-2018, 11:37 AM)TrainChaser Wrote: A man who has been living in his truck since 2014 ran up $900 in tickets for his poor choices in parking spots, and his truck was impounded.  A judge has declared the truck his home, basing his decision on the 123-year-old Homestead Act that prevents a person's  home being sold to satisfy debts.  The news media is saying that this "could be a landmark decision".

The city can appeal, and I would bet they will. 

http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/judge-de.../711526241

You beat me to it. I was just about to post about that here, LOL.  Cool
 This might just set a precedent for people living in their vehicle and give them more rights.
 The Captain and Crew Finally got their stuff together. 
 Now if they can only remember where they put it.   Rolleyes
Ballenxj, it might, but the way govt deals with cute, well-built tiny homes on wheels does not bode well for decrepit old vans.

BTW... while some states (like WA) have automatic homestead laws (as above), in others, you have to actually apply for a homestead, and others don't have homestead laws at all. If you might depend on it, be sure to check on the state you're in.