Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Building a chemically safe van
Yeah after a ton of work.
I'm not lost. I'm exploring.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Snikwahjm for this post:
  • Cammalu (11-12-2017)
Yeah after a ton of work.
Heidi, would the insulation absorb moisture?
We looked at stuff like that and decided not to.
  • AbuelaLoca (11-12-2017)
We pulled a trim piece off. The ceiling fabric fell off. Then the foam fell off a bit at a time - no scraping necessary. It was cold and rainy so we left it like that. We could take down the panels but decided to do a minimal rehab. Then we visited the big box home improvement stores. We looked over a lot of materials that seemed like they would be safe. The existing ceiling panels are luan plywood. They could be painted or covered. We looked at putting some aluminum looking plastic insulation up with an r value of 1. We decided it might tear pretty easy so not a good finished look for about $30. There were some corrugated metal pieces that might be cool if they stay up and aren’t too heavy. 15 of them at $6.00 each. Not hateful but kind of heavy. We looked at the faux ceiling tiles which were 24”x 48” but the existing panels are 30 x 68 +- and on sale $25 for those sheets. Then we saw 100 ft paintable wallpaper that looked like the plastic faux ceiling tile. The whole thing might run $25 - $50 plus glue. We decided it might tear up - but who knows... then we discussed gluing up fabric or paper or just painting it and may be stencils or faux painting. Then we saw some real thin wooden bead board panels for $9 a set and love that but we are putting that on hold until the rest of the ceiling is cleaned up. Each panel will need 2 1/2 - 3 sets and there would be 5 panels. About 15 sets. After Christmas they should have a sale...
  • AbuelaLoca (11-13-2017)
(11-12-2017, 02:22 PM)Snikwahjm Wrote: We pulled a trim piece off. The ceiling fabric fell off. Then the foam fell off a bit at a time - no scraping necessary.  It was cold and rainy so we left it like that. We could take down the panels but decided to do a minimal rehab. Then we visited the big box home improvement stores. We looked over a lot of materials that seemed like they would be safe. The existing ceiling panels are luan plywood. They could be painted or covered. We looked at putting some aluminum looking plastic insulation up with an r value of 1. We decided it might tear pretty easy so not a good finished look for about $30 a roll. One roll would do it. There were some corrugated metal pieces that might be cool if they stay up and aren’t too heavy. 15 of them at $6.00 each. Not hateful but kind of heavy. We saw some 4 x 8 panels of thin shiny plastic that looked like fire truck metal for $75 each but the size would require a lot of waste. We looked at the faux ceiling tiles which were 24”x 48” but the existing panels are 30 x 68 +- and on sale $25 for those sheets. Then we saw 100 ft rolls of paintable wallpaper that looked like the plastic faux ceiling tile. The whole thing might run $25 - $50 plus glue. We decided it might tear up - but who knows... then we discussed gluing up fabric or paper or just painting it and may be stencils or faux painting.  Then we saw some real thin wooden bead board panels for $9 a set and love that but we are putting that on hold until the rest of the ceiling is cleaned up. Each panel will need 2 1/2 - 3 sets and there would be 5 panels. About 15 sets. After Christmas they should have a sale... 

Then we looked under the carpet and the wood looks serviceable but we are going to pull out the carpet behind the front seats because of the decomposing carpet padding. The vinyl planks should be low voc and work ok. Costco had some quality planks last I looked. Once upon a time there was a place we could get short cuts of oak flooring. I’d love to get some of that... I’m think it was free... People took it home and burned it. Not me... I saw a floor once that intrigued me and if I get really bored I might look around for some scrap boards and cut in half inch cut offs and glue the end grains on the sub floor. The question would be which is worse vinyl or glued down end grain pieces with some sort of filler between chunks and varnished over that. The wood plank vinyl would be quick and possibly not that much more cash time glue is paid for and power to cut off a million pieces. 
Glad you're finding some things that will work for you! I hhopewe get to see pics sometime. Smile
I hope to figure out pics, too.
Living here at my parents toxic and mold house is not good for me but somebody has to take care of them. Even with reminents of the old van interior I think I should be ok. If not the rest will have to be changed out.
(11-12-2017, 03:20 PM)Snikwahjm Wrote: I hope to figure out pics,  too.  
Living here at my parents toxic and mold house is not good for me but somebody has to take care of them. Even with reminents of the old van interior I think I should be ok. If not the rest will have to be changed out.

Ohhhh. Yeah. If that's how bad the house is, sounds like moving in ASAP is the higher priority, and see if it works!

I had a 1986 Chevy G20 "conversion van" with carpeting everywhere and the ceiling falling down. Reminds me of what you describe. It wasn't a pristine breathing environment, but it was good enough to get out of a dire situation.

Another thing I'd suggest if you don't know about it already is an Aireox air purifier. I keep their 12V model in my van. Though I didn't have the power to run it all the time, it helped while driving and I could also use it briefly to help clear the air as needed when parked.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Heidi Mull for this post:
  • AbuelaLoca (11-13-2017), Snikwahjm (11-13-2017)
Snik, keep in mind that adding to the floor or ceiling will make it shorter.
viajes seguros
We will be taking off ceiling and floor. The fabric ceiling and foam will go away. That is primarily why we are thinking paint or glueing paper on the existing ceiling. The carpet and it’s pad takes up more room than vinyl. I suppose we will have to keep feet insulated in loo of carpet though.

As far as this moldy less than 10 year old house goes...1) it is my parents house and is supposedly in a good neighborhood. 2) the FBI drug raid next door was a little scary. 3) the shoot out by the neighbors on the other side was even scarier since it was just a couple feet away from me. 4) one night a stray bullet from maybe across the street went through the living room wall, my bedroom door, hit the wall and landed on the floor. I was 3 feet away. Yup i know about the drug deals between 2 & 4am... My parents aren’t going to leave so I’m stuck here. All I can do is be prepared. My own house is supposedly not in a good neighborhood but we haven’t had a whole lot of drama over there. We do have a very nice mix of white, black, Hispanic, oriental population by my house. Occasionally someone plays their own party music too loud but nobody cares as long as they shut it down by midnight. Some times the church up on the corner has a tent revival every day for a couple weeks. That gets a bit wound up, annoying but they quit before late at night. Yup I would love to be able to move my house when I want to... someone has to take care of my mom. Nobody else wants to. She needs companionship type care so here I am. So sad when my sisters could easily help out.
Well , if the Po Po can't stop the shooting maybe they can loan you some flak vests.... Rolleyes 

My mom's apartment before moving to assisted lvg had the septic pipe collapse underground the first of March and then on the 21st the furnace quit working. (I moved her on April 5th) BTW neither is fixed yet !!!!!!
TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE

But compared to your folk's house it was like a Hawaiian Vacation !!!!!!!
stay tuned 
popeye

Weirdo Overlord : FMS Fleet Ops , Awards , Badges ,  aka Tamerlane the Impaler Mod.