Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My New RV.
(12-02-2018, 03:28 PM)B and C Wrote: I will repeat something.  An outlet on the outside has to have a weatherproof cover.  If you have one outside where the cover is broken off, you need to replace the duplex outlet and get a cover on it.  Water frozen in it would cause a short and potential fire.

The outlet on the outside does have a weatherproof cover, and it looks dry when I lift the covers, just wondering
if water could get into it anyway and cause a short ?.
2001 Phoenix Cruiser 2300B.        
On A Ford E350 Chassis.

Full time since 10-12-18
(12-02-2018, 10:49 AM)B and C Wrote: A picture is worth a thousand words as they say.  A pic of the breakers would help a lot.

I am sure you know this but I will say it.  You have to turn a tripped breaker all the way off before you can reset it.
I have no way of posting a picture right now.
The breaker is marked recepticles (plugs) at the bottom of the breaker is a test button like you would find on a GFI plug.
So either the breaker has gone bad, or one of the plugs has a short ?.
On A Ford E350 Chassis.

Full time since 10-12-18
Ah. Progress. It is a GFCI breaker. GFCI breakers control outlets that are in wet places like the kitchen, bathroom and outside.

Take something around (a lamp works well) and plug into every receptacle. Any dead receptacles you find mark them GFCI with a permanent marker. If something is already plugged in, unplug it. Try your breaker again. If it still trips it is probably the one behind the fridge (outside access cover and vent). You will have to take off the outside vent cover to access it. Unplug the fridge and try the breaker again.

If all of these fail, you probably have a bad circuit breaker or outlet. The way to track down an outlet is to start taking the wires off the receptacle closest to the breaker and removing the wires. Reset breaker and see if it trips. If it doesn't trip, trip it and put the receptacle back together. Then go to the next closest one. Repeat process. You will finally reach an outlet that only has one set of wires on it. This is the last one in the chain. I don't know of a way to check the breaker short of swapping in another one. That is last resort.

Personally, I would go straight for the outside outlet after unplugging everything on that circuit and trying the breaker again. If you take it all the way apart there maybe rust on it which says that the cover wasn't closed in a rain or the seals are bad.

This is not a fun process.

Let's hope it is just something that is plugged in that is the culprit.
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.   Angel
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to B and C for this post:
  • shadow (12-02-2018)
Would a mouse chewing on a wire mess it up?
I'm not lost. I'm exploring.
If it's 2 wires next to each other.......
stay tuned 
popeye

Weirdo Overlord : FMS Fleet Ops , Awards , Badges ,  aka Tamerlane the Impaler Mod.
(12-02-2018, 06:16 PM)B and C Wrote: Ah.  Progress.  It is a GFCI breaker.  GFCI breakers control outlets that are in wet places like the kitchen, bathroom and outside.

Take something around (a lamp works well) and plug into every receptacle.  Any dead receptacles you find mark them GFCI with a permanent marker.  If something is already plugged in, unplug it.  Try your breaker again.  If it still trips it is probably the one behind the fridge (outside access cover and vent).  You will have to take off the outside vent cover to access it.  Unplug the fridge and try the breaker again.

If all of these fail, you probably have a bad circuit breaker or outlet.  The way to track down an outlet is to start taking the wires off the receptacle closest to the breaker and removing the wires.  Reset breaker and see if it trips.  If it doesn't trip, trip it and put the receptacle back together.  Then go to the next closest one.  Repeat process.  You will finally reach an outlet that only has one set of wires on it.  This is the last one in the chain.  I don't know of a way to check the breaker short of swapping in another one.  That is last resort.

Personally, I would go straight for the outside outlet after unplugging everything on that circuit and trying the breaker again.  If you take it all the way apart there maybe rust on it which says that the cover wasn't closed in a rain or the seals are bad.

This is not a fun process.

Let's hope it is just something that is plugged in that is the culprit.

Right now there is nothing plugged into any plugs on that circuit, and the breaker still wont reset.
I did have trouble with it tripping sometimes last summer for no reason, but it would always reset and work just fine.

I will check the outside plug to make sure there is no water in it, if its dry and in good shape, I guess it would be a bad breaker,
Maybe ???. All of the other plugs are inside.
On A Ford E350 Chassis.

Full time since 10-12-18
Switch the wire going to that breaker to one of the other breakers to see if it is that gfci breaker gone bad.

A pretty common problem though , much more often than the regular breakers.
Bring it to the store to make sure the new one matches ,,and maybe get a spare ~$20 each last time I chased one down

As you check the outlets , re tighten all the screws holding wires as well as at the breakers..
Do this once a year as regular maintenance.
Going down the road tends to work 'em loose.
stay tuned 
popeye

Weirdo Overlord : FMS Fleet Ops , Awards , Badges ,  aka Tamerlane the Impaler Mod.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to rvpopeye for this post:
  • shadow (12-02-2018)
Did you unplug the fridge?
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.   Angel
  • shadow (12-03-2018)
Forgot to add that breakers do wear out. They have a duty cycle rating.
Brian

• shadow (12-02-2018)
(12-02-2018, 08:42 PM)B and C Wrote: Did you unplug the fridge?

I did not unplug the fridge, I will do that tomorrow.
On A Ford E350 Chassis.

Full time since 10-12-18