Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Putts
Speaking of tools, I've known for a while that I was going to be very short of space in my garage...which we'll get to in a minute.

I was talking about my plans with Scott, the Roll With It bus guy, and a new plan of sorts arose. I'm getting old and worry about riding around on motorcycles and poking an eye out or something. I began to look into electric bikes...turns out they're pretty darn cool. Eventually, I figured I could get a folding electric bike and stick it in the garage. That way I could remain stealthy from the outside rather than having a motorbike on the back bumper. Well, with that, and the Farkle Hut, which again we'll get to in a minute, I sure as hell wasn't going to have room for all my tools...and I need my tools, lots more work to do on Putt. 

Scott suggested a big bumper box of some sort. We talked about some cool ideas for a custom project. But in the end, I need a solution now. So, I started looking on-line and found a pick-up truck tool box with the right dimensions for the job.

[Image: IMG_2661-L.jpg]

Initially, I was going to put all my tools in the garage, but this makes way more sense as I'd have all the tools available at ground level for working on stuff.

Got about 70% of my tools sorted and packed away in tool rolls and carry bags.

[Image: IMG_2658-L.jpg]

Power tools are in the bags. 

[Image: IMG_2662-L.jpg]

Pretty happy about that...but by the time I get all my tools packed up the tool box will be chock-o-block full. I was hoping to fit the road safety and recovery stuff in there as well. We'll see.
YARC : Drunk in the Mud/Keeper of the Dingy/Ears [Image: L3000.gif]/Potluck Contributions Restricted
[-] The following 8 users say Thank You to Putts for this post:
  • GotSmart (07-18-2018), tx2sturgis (07-18-2018), Snikwahjm (07-18-2018), Motrukdriver (07-18-2018), rvpopeye (07-18-2018), Matlock (07-19-2018), heron (07-19-2018), AbuelaLoca (07-20-2018)
I have everything but the Kreg tool and I drool whenever I go to their website.
  [Image: 414097000.jpg]
Where did u get the tool rolls and which ones do you like the best? We need some
monkeyfoot
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Cammalu for this post:
  • GotSmart (07-18-2018)
^^^^

Camps near Putts.

Borrows tools.

Big Grin
Your build method is so much like I've been doing .
So what else can I say ??? PERFECT !
(I really like the curves style you are using in your build , so shippy ! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)
(I've been experimenting with using 1/2" ply for a while now and if you use no longer than 2" #6 SR screws and be careful to hit the center ply AND stay 3" from an end it won't split...)

That truck box will sure be an awesome nice WORKBENCH there chummy ,,,OHHH Ayuh !

Is it just me or is Dart getting bigger ?
stay tuned 
popeye

Weirdo Overlord : FMS Fleet Ops , Awards , Badges ,  aka Tamerlane the Impaler Mod.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to rvpopeye for this post:
  • heron (07-19-2018)
(07-18-2018, 02:32 PM)rvpopeye Wrote: That truck box will sure be an awesome nice WORKBENCH there chummy ,,,OHHH Ayuh !

Mount a vice on it and the stealth look is complete!
Compared to parenting, Cat herding is less complicated
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to GotSmart for this post:
  • heron (07-19-2018)
(07-18-2018, 09:02 AM)Cammalu Wrote: Where did u get the tool rolls and which ones do you like the best?  We need some

Kinda depends on what's going in them, I just bought a variety.

Used this one for fairly thin things: my box open wrenches and electronics tools (pokers, tweezers, jewler screwdrivers, fine files).

Used this one for bigger tools, like my general basic tool kit and misc tools.  It works good for tools tools like diagonal cutters, needle nose, wire strippers.

Used this one for bits, drills and blades. It's got six long pouches with zipper closures. I sorted all my bits, drills, and blades into zip lock bags, and them further sorted them by the tool they went into the various pockets.

(07-18-2018, 02:32 PM)rvpopeye Wrote: (I really like the curves style you are using in your build , so shippy ! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)

It really does feel like a road boat.

Quote:(I've been experimenting with using 1/2" ply for a while now and if you use no longer than 2" #6 SR screws and be careful to hit the center ply  AND stay 3" from an end it won't split...)

I'm sure with good plywood it's doable...but the margin for error gets quite a bit thinner. I tend to beat the crap out of stuff, so I'll stick with 3/4". Prolly much better for most folks to go 1/2" if they can pull it off to save the weight.

Quote:That truck box will sure be an awesome nice WORKBENCH there chummy ,,,OHHH Ayuh !

The problem is once you start using it you better have gotten everything you might need out of it, which is possible.

Quote:Is it just me or is Dart getting bigger ?

He has, but not much. At 15 lbs. he's slightly above average size for a Schipperke and won't grow much more.

(07-18-2018, 03:45 PM)tx2sturgis Wrote: Mount a vice on it and the stealth look is complete!

Ya know, I've been thinking about just that. My bench vice is one of my most commonly used tools. And you're right, it won't hurt the stealth factor one bit.

(07-18-2018, 04:45 PM)GotSmart Wrote: YARC REPAIR LLC.

"If you want it done right, you've come to the wrong place." Big Grin
YARC : Drunk in the Mud/Keeper of the Dingy/Ears [Image: L3000.gif]/Potluck Contributions Restricted
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Putts for this post:
  • rvpopeye (07-19-2018), AbuelaLoca (07-20-2018)
So YARC REPAIR NRC. (Not Responsable Chuckleheads)
Compared to parenting, Cat herding is less complicated
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to GotSmart for this post:
  • rvpopeye (07-19-2018), heron (07-19-2018), AbuelaLoca (07-20-2018)
Stealth oh ya, could be plumber, carpenter, electrician pick one...... but your gonna need a vice to pull it off. Well, it would add to the theme.

I carry one that clamps to my steel step bumper, I'd trip over it if left permanent. Half my road projects need that 3rd hand though.
And the last thing I look like is a stealth candidate.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Matlock for this post:
  • Putts (07-19-2018)