Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New folks on the site
Hey great conversion images, thanks for posting them.

Yes the gas engine restarts when the main (traction its called) battery drops down to about 20% (according to the number of bars on the scale) and then it only runs to get the battery up to about 5 bars. Then the process cycles over.

No, it’s not realistic to presume that 2 people could occupy the back of a Prius, not if you had any belongings anyway.

I only carry a minimum amount of clothing and foodstuffs, sufficient for about a week. Also a small (maybe 12 liter) cooler, a backpack and rollie suitcase which stay on the seat and the floor in front of the ft passenger seat. At night the excess items from the back end (any extra items like a cookstove, propane fuel, blanket or sleeping bag if not needed) are transferred to the drivers seat and floor, then switched back the next day. The bed stays made unless I’m crossing the border, then everything reverts back to “car mode”.

There would be more room to stretch out if both back seats were folded down however that would make entry/exit more difficult and also remove the sitting area which is used for daily hygene, eating and dressing. Leaving one side or the other down is pretty much required. There is a space between the back of the ft seat (when it is pushed fully forward) that can be filled with a box or suitcase on end, and that lengthens the sleeping area to just under 6’. 

I found that most self-inflating pads are too long (75” usually) so I bought a thicker (thats a problem) childs air mattress thats 5’ long by about 30” wide off Amazon. It works well except for the height. I had tried using rolled-out 3” foamies however the bulk, when in “car mode”, is excessive as compared to an air mattress or self-inflating pad.

I am wanting to switch to a minivan so that should give you an idea of the longer-term viability of just having a Prius.  Look on YT for Prius camper videos, you’ll see they are all for solo travelers and do not have room for much in the way of contents.

Lastly there are posts on different forums that talk about wiring an inverter (I’ve seen up to 1,500 continous watts) directly to the main hybrid battery, or using smaller sub-600 watt inverters onto the small 35 amp AGM that is under the rear well. I don’t recommend that as the small AGM battery isn’t really meant for a lot of load and unload cycles. 
Reference Priuschat.com, Nov 5, 2012, post entitled: “Inverters”. 

Also, here’s a cut from a 2013 post talking about using an 800 watt inverter cabled to the aforementioned 35 amp AGM battery: 
You will be drawing around 70 Amps from the battery/12V system. There is a 100 or 150 Amp fuse in line with the inverter/charger, but if your battery is good most of the current will come from it. If the car isn't running (I don't recommend running it that way) all current will come from the battery and the fuse won't be impacted. I don't recommend running it that way because in roughly 30 min of use at full power the battery will be fully discharged.”. End of quote.

Another Priuschat question asked about parallelling a larger rv style battery to the existing AGM for increased capacity. Here’s the answer:

“I wouldn't wire a deep-cycle battery in parallel with the Prius 12V battery. The behavior of the high voltage to 12V inverter in the Prius isn't fully known (except by Toyota engineers), so I could forsee the batteries getting a different charge over time or the inverter getting confused. I would just replace the (rather wimpy) Prius battery with something larger if needed.

However, with the car on, the Prius inverter can supply around 60A (~80A minus the 20A to run the car's electronics). So you won't tap into the battery really at all unless you pull over 800W. However running a microwave or similar is only going to pull about 1500W, which wouldn't be a major stress on the battery for only a few minutes (and will just quickly recharge after). End of quote.

Hope the above info helps you.
"Life is short, smile while you still have teeth."
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to TWIH for this post:
  • Snikwahjm (07-14-2018), American Nomad Patriot (07-14-2018)
Well around this time happens to be when I apologized in another forum because apparently (albeit not to me) I went off topic after getting a bit excited on a thread. So, I'm doing my best to stay within the lines.

It took me a month to register here. I felt compelled since I wanted to express my condolences to Texjbird (and have yet to do that). I'd been following her "I'm moving SLOWLY" thread since I can (very much) relate.

So, thank you for the (unbeknownst to you) nudge, and condolences...

(07-12-2018, 07:30 PM)Texjbird Wrote: "...  I just think it's rude to walk into someones place without making yourself known. ..."

It may appear rude, though that's definitely not my intention. It takes me a while to case out a place. Then, I'm doing my best to improve response time. I want and need to hone my writing skills, and develop a style. I'm doing my best to keep up with life (think Blanch https://vandwellerforum.com/showthread.php?tid=1529) Since I avoid pills, and continue to search for an effective therapist, I keep IT at bay with exercise and healthy eating. Twice a week each I've been jogging, swimming, bicycling. Once a week each I walk the farmers' market (connect with humans) and garden (commune with wildlife). The rest of the time is filled in with maintaining connections with my children and few remaining friends while making ends meet, clearing my clutter, and preparing for this adventure. I'm trying to figure out how everyone seems to get things done.
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to Xanthorhizas for this post:
  • Motrukdriver (07-14-2018), American Nomad Patriot (07-14-2018), Texjbird (07-15-2018), Vesper (08-21-2018)
(07-14-2018, 07:09 AM)Xanthorhizas Wrote: Well around this time happens to be when I apologized in another forum because apparently (albeit not to me) I went off topic after getting a bit excited on a thread. So, I'm doing my best to stay within the lines.

Staying on topic around here is like trying to push a rope sometimes.  No problems since we are a small like minded group sharing thoughts and information and the ones that try and manage the place don't wear jack boots.
  [Image: 414097000.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Motrukdriver for this post:
  • Xanthorhizas (07-21-2018)
Hey Xanth, are you building, got a RV or van already?
monkeyfoot
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Cammalu for this post:
Welcome to the posting side.
If you've been here that long , by now you must have decided we're your kind of people ?????  

Share your plans , ask questions , post pictures with circles and arrows , post a story of your "Ain't Rightness".......
whatever ,, Ya know , just  regular stuff.
stay tuned 
popeye

Weirdo Overlord : FMS Fleet Ops , Awards , Badges ,  aka Tamerlane the Impaler Mod.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to rvpopeye for this post:
Well around this time happens to be when I apologized in another forum because apparently (albeit not to me) I went off topic after getting a bit excited on a thread. So, I'm doing my best to stay within the lines.

It took me a month to register here. I felt compelled since I wanted to express my condolences to Texjbird (and have yet to do that). I'd been following her "I'm moving SLOWLY" thread since I can (very much) relate.

So, thank you for the (unbeknownst to you) nudge, and condolences...

Us trying to stay on topic is like herding cats. LOL. But it doesn't bother me to see it done or do it myself since I have a very bad case of C.R.S. (Can't Remember Sh*t).  Welcome !! Texjbird is a good friend of mine. Hit me up in PM if you want. I'm a 13 yr nomad work camper in a TT. But currently building a shuttle bus.  Glad to meet you !! David
#NomadLivesMatter  
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to American Nomad Patriot for this post:
I’m here.
Trying to post more, all I have is cool stories about Blanch, and she would beat me up, so I keep quiet Smile
Seriously I hope to start posting some text in the near future as I am invited back to my job in Florence sitting on my ass, smoking joints and selling printer ink for far too much money. So I will have a PC and time to post some of our recent adventures. And they are pretty epic.
Peace Love and all that hippy shit,
bLEEps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to bLEEp for this post:
(07-12-2018, 07:30 PM)Texjbird Wrote: "...  I just think it's rude to walk into someones place without making yourself known. ..."

Hello X and Welcome!
What a moniker you have.  Smile

Thank You for the condolences.

My remark about "rudeness" was not directed to you in particular or any one else here.  I think it stems mainly from answering my apt. door more than once in the last 8 years to men I've never seen before that expect to just traipses  into my bedroom with their ladder for attic access to 3 other apts. in my building.  Even when a Public Housing rep is with them I still don't like it.

I stopped 2 of my meds 6mo ago with out consulting my DR.  All my labs have come back good on the conditions these 2 meds were for.  So am I cured or just lucky?  IDK  Another I take only 25% of the prescribed daily dosage.  This last one makes me very lethargic.  Not sleepy just a "I don't want to do anything so I won't" attitude.  I don't have time to be laying around!!

JewellAnn
  I DON'T GO CRAZY
Tongue      I AM CRAZY          
   I JUST GO NORMAL FROM TIME TO TIME
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Texjbird for this post:
Don’t worry about JewellAnne unless she has a BB gun. Then back away.  Big Grin  You are safe online.
Compared to parenting, Cat herding is less complicated
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to GotSmart for this post:
  • Cammalu (07-15-2018), Xanthorhizas (07-21-2018)
(07-13-2018, 11:58 AM)TWIH Wrote: "... I would like to see some more controlled growth, so the forum experiment doesn’t fail, yet it’s basically up to people when they search. ..."

I'd been wondering about a wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki) that included some flow charts since one (meaning me) can easily get lost in the details...maybe just a skeletal one for the essentials which can be elaborated individually.