Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prius info
But I do also want the efficient "normal citizen" transportation into the well-paying big-city job.

If not, you're right but I'd remove all the relevant parts and re-assemble so it all stored nice looking and compact in an offroad camp trailer base.

Key would be getting a very recent model year cheap enough; you got me thinking!
(11-29-2017, 12:25 PM)John61CT Wrote: But I do also want the efficient "normal citizen" transportation into the well-paying big-city job.

If not, you're right but I'd remove all the relevant parts and re-assemble so it all stored nice looking and compact in an offroad camp trailer base.

Key would be getting a very recent model year cheap enough; you got me thinking!

Look at the Gen 3 Prius, 2010 - 2015. 
My Gen 3 with only 104K and impeccable maintenance is only worth $6,500-7000.  
A 2010 with say 150K would be worth $5K or less.

Gen 2', like a 2008-09 would be even less. 

Here's one in Florida:

2008 Toyota Prius5dr HB
  • Mileage: 72,795 miles
  • Exterior: Classic Silver Metallic
  • Interior: Dark Gray
  • VIN: JTDKB20U083376774
$5,911
"Life is short, smile while you still have teeth."
Yep what I'm talking about.

How much is a replacement batt pack, presumably within a few years of needing?

I've also seen "conversion kits" to make them capable of just plug-in use, longer electric-only range from a big added bank, but still let you switch to Hybrid if needed.

Comments?
(12-01-2017, 04:30 PM)TWIH Wrote: $5,911

Funny when I looked at it $1k higher.

So much for TruePrice 8-)
(12-01-2017, 04:34 PM)John61CT Wrote: Yep what I'm talking about.

How much is a replacement batt pack,  presumably within a few years of needing?

I've also seen "conversion kits" to make them capable of just plug-in use, longer electric-only range from a big added bank, but still let you switch to Hybrid if needed.

Comments?

The complete dealer installed Toyota packs still are 3.5K, but I don’t have a parts only price. Most people seem to be getting the individual cells replaced, if what I read on the priuschat forum is accurate. Course, a lot of folks on there are engineer type eco geeks, so they tear into things and wrench a lot more than I do.  

If you look up the “alternate power using a Prius” type google threads, you’ll find some decent information about it and or the Leaf setup. Over my head by a long shot due to all the lithium and nickel metal hydride concerns.
Since you are deeper into this technology than am I, start by looking at this thread fromsolar authentic solar and alternate power folks: http://forum.solar-electric.com/discussi...n-off-grid
Seems like intriguing little cars!
they have their uses as commuters certainly but for any realistic long-term dweller use I doubt it. Suanne and Brent from the "other" forum have used them for a number of years, and been successful with them. 

Lets just say they are a "niche" like perhaps a schoolie is. "Niche" meaning most dwellers cannot/will not use them in their particular circumstances but they will work for a few.
Well, just made a 24 hour (2 days) run from BC to Phoenix. One thing about the Prius, it’s not the most plush ride but less than $80 in gas to go 1,560 miles. Can’t do that in any rv or full sized van.

Now back in the warmth of 55 degrees vs 35, which was an improvement over the previous days. I have a couple more days off before going back to work, so will enjoy the sun and help a friend out.

I won’t be able to go to the RTR, imagine some of you are in that neighbourhood already. If so, enjoy the festivities and hope things go better than last year for some.
(01-04-2018, 09:47 PM)TWIH Wrote: Well, just made a 24 hour (2 days) run from BC to Phoenix. One thing about the Prius, it’s not the most plush ride but less than $80 in gas to go 1,560 miles. Can’t do that in any rv or full sized van.

Now back in the warmth of 55 degrees vs 35, which was an improvement over the previous days. I have a couple more days off before going back to work, so will enjoy the sun and help a friend out.

I won’t be able to go to the RTR, imagine some of you are in that neighbourhood already. If so, enjoy the festivities and hope things go better than last year for some.

Just an update, long time no post. (I was saddened to hear about Gunny)

It's been 3+ weeks now since the landlord's condo closed (meaning I'm out) and the Prius is certainly getting "cramped". That and its been over 100 for the last several days in a row, "cooling down" to mid 70's at night.

For example it was 89 degrees F (31.6 C) at 9 pm last night. That's hard to sleep in without the air conditioning running.

Wile I'm thankful for the a/c, it wakes me up every time it starts.  Sad

Oh well.  As soon as this job ends on May 31, I'm heading north.

While I cannot say the Prius makes a good long-term vehicle, it suffices for now.
(05-07-2018, 11:03 AM)TWIH Wrote: Wile I'm thankful for the a/c, it wakes me up every time it starts.  Sad

Have you tried using some of those foam ear plugs?  Very inexpensive.

I personally have mixed feelings about them.  I would much rather be awakened by things that go bump in the night - or what's the point of sleeping with a loaded gun next to your bed?  Still, if I wasn't getting enough sleep, and had trouble functioning the next day . . .
Regards

John

I don't like to make advance plans.  It causes the word PREMEDITATED get thrown around in the courtroom!
I'm NOT crazy!  My mother had me tested! Cool