Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Truck Cap
Well, I still need to finish the truck, and work on the trailer, sell the van, do my taxes, and attend a few shindigs around here, including a benefit run for a fellow biker who was put in a wheelchair by a drunk driver.  Plus I have some chores around this place I need to get done soon...

I plan on a few more short trips around this area...but if things go right, I might be able to take a longer trip starting in May...or thereabouts.

Where will you guys be in April and May time frame?
Would a suitcase style solar panel be good for this setup? Just to have a little extra power on hand?

Not looking for any mounting.
(03-12-2018, 08:04 PM)tx2sturgis Wrote: Well, I still need to finish the truck, and work on the trailer, sell the van, do my taxes, and attend a few shindigs around here, including a benefit run for a fellow biker who was put in a wheelchair by a drunk driver.  Plus I have some chores around this place I need to get done soon...

I plan on a few more short trips around this area...but if things go right, I might be able to take a longer trip starting in May...or thereabouts.

Where will you guys be in April and May time frame?

I'll be in Little Rock, AR for about 7-10 months. If you come that way hit me up. I'll get you space to plug up and recoup for a couple days free...my treat. But just know I will be working 12 hours/day 6 days/week. Only day off will be Sunday. But the offer stands. Would like to check out your set up.    David
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to RepublicOfTXPatriot for this post:
  • tx2sturgis (03-13-2018)
(03-12-2018, 08:04 PM)tx2sturgis Wrote: Where will you guys be in April and May time frame?

We are in Gallup now but heading near Albuquerque where we will drop the trailer at friend’s ranch. Then we are headed to CO Springs for maybe a week to get John established as a resident.

Then it’s back to pick up the trailer and start meandering east. Going to stay at my place in Kentucky while I get this rod out of my leg and various other things. I figure we will have to stay about a month so I guess that’s where we will be at that time frame.

We will head back west when I recover.
monkeyfoot
(03-13-2018, 06:21 AM)OutdoorFT Wrote: Would a suitcase style solar panel be good for this setup? Just to have a little extra power on hand?

Not looking for any mounting.

I think it would....they work for anything from tent camping to large RV's...I have run a 120W portable setup for about 2 years when boondocking. 

It keeps up with small loads: daily charging of a laptop, drone flight battery charging, smartphone charging, some ham radio use. 

It probably won't power a fridge tho...
(03-13-2018, 06:35 AM)RepublicOfTXPatriot Wrote: I'll be in Little Rock, AR for about 7-10 months. If you come that way hit me up. I'll get you space to plug up and recoup for a couple days free...my treat. 

Wow...generous offer!

I dunno. I have loose plans to make a few rallies this year...we'll see how that goes. 

Several years ago I made the Bikes, Blues, and BBQ rally in Fayetteville, 2 years in a row...what a fun rally.

But it's not till later in the year, around September-October. 

Possible!
(03-13-2018, 06:47 AM)Cammalu Wrote: We are in Gallup now but heading near Albuquerque where we will drop the trailer at friend’s ranch. Then we are headed to CO Springs for maybe a week to get John established as a resident.

Still a bit cold up in Colorado...bad weather is possible so be careful!

I drove a regular hardware delivery route back in the mid-80s, I was all over Gallup and Albuquerque (plus cities and towns all over NM and AZ)...every week. 

Back then I drove a day-cab and stayed at motels every night. 

300 motel nights per year for FIVE years.

I got burned out on that and pretty much HATE to stay in motels now...

But I made friends there and got to find out all the good places to eat in that time...Earl's in Gallup was a good place to grab a meal....I wonder if it's still there?
Made more progress today, still not finished but getting there.

Mounted and hooked up the new Renogy Adventurer that I recently bought during the online 'fire sale'...dang I hate that term when it comes to electronics and wiring and fuses and such!

Drilled a big hole in the cap to run the cables thru, and hooked up the new fuse panel and my old inverter.

This is not done yet, I still have more to do, including dressing the wires and tidying everything up with clips and zipties. I still need to buy a few things, and install lights, my vent fan, and a few other items. I wont be installing insulation for awhile, I figure this spring and summer, I probably won't need it...but it will be installed before the cool weather.

I finally hooked everything up just after the sun was setting, it was getting dark, so the controller only got a sip of electricity from the panels, about 1.6 amps then it tapered to 0.8 as I was cleaning up and shutting the tailgate and hatch. 

But it's powered up and working.... 

(03-13-2018, 06:28 PM)tx2sturgis Wrote: Made more progress today, still not finished but getting there.

Mounted and hooked up the new Renogy Adventurer that I recently bought during the online 'fire sale'...dang I hate that term when it comes to electronics and wiring and fuses and such!

Drilled a big hole in the cap to run the cables thru, and hooked up the new fuse panel and my old inverter.

This is not done yet, I still have more to do, including dressing the wires and tidying everything up with clips and zipties. I still need to buy a few things, and install lights, my vent fan, and a few other items. I wont be installing insulation for awhile, I figure this spring and summer, I probably won't need it...but it will be installed before the cool weather.

I finally hooked everything up just after the sun was setting, it was getting dark, so the controller only got a sip of electricity from the panels, about 1.6 amps then it tapered to 0.8 as I was cleaning up and shutting the tailgate and hatch. 

But it's powered up and working.... 

Progress of any sort is awesome ! Thanks for sharing ! Lookin' good !
A few pics of some recent trips:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)