Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery charger for 700w outout generator?
We're coming into a few cloudy/rainy (I hope) days here in Southern Arizona. This made me think about periods of cloudy weather or camping under trees for more than 3-4 days with my trailer.  I'm going to be getting a little propane generator (I can't stand the smell of gasoline). It's a Ryobi, 900watts peak, 700 watts continuous. What I'm looking for is the best battery charger that will work with this generator's limited power output.

I have four of the el cheapo UPG 121000 100ah batteries. In a perfect world, they like to eat 20-30 amps per 100ah of capacity when deeply discharged, which of course, they'll never get close to that on a trailer that is not connected to an alternator.  I also have 680 Watts of solar, so they are staying very, very happy with the sunny days we've been having here, per the Victron battery monitor I have.  But the day will come when the solar panels will be inadequate to get the batteries back to 100% in a timely manner.  I have portable solar but that won't help on cloudy days.

I thought that recharging the trailer batteries was a simple matter of plugging the trailer into the generator, but then I read that would take forever. So I need to get a battery charger directly connected to the batteries that plugs into the generator.

My question is, how large/what brand battery charger can I get for use with a 700 watt power supply?  700 Watts is 58amps, but there is the loss factor, I don't know how much. I have a CTEK mus25000 (25amp) battery charger, which Hubby is scarfing for his van.  It seemed to do okay on house current (when I had a house) on my van batteries (300ah).  But feeding 400ah of batteries only 25amps seems inadequate. Any suggestions on the battery charger that will work with the low output generator? Or should I keep the one I have and have Hubby get his own? I don't want to have to run the generator hours longer than I have to if I can avoid it with a higher amperage battery charger.

Thank you, 
Ted

Messages In This Thread
Battery charger for 700w outout generator? - by TedOnWalkabout - 02-13-2018, 02:40 PM
RE: Battery charger for 700w outout generator? - by RepublicOfTXPatriot - 02-14-2018, 09:45 AM