Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
where I have been lately

Thought I'd return to the BACON site; should've 
brought eggs coz 1 of the lil porkers is to the right of the fence post in the bottom 2, & another at the far left of the bottom pic. They're spotted & camouflage well. The trail's in the middle pic.
ROOIRIA #2
1 Stinkin' Badge
And the road leads ever onward
looks like i need to learn how to dress down a pig,should be no different from other four legged beasts,it's those glands that scare me,dont want to cut into one of them and have whatever squirt all over everything
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Blacktank for this post:
  • fantym1 (03-25-2019)

Abilene SP. Just some pix of high water. The rocks in the middle pic will be completely exposed come summer. The 2d up from bottom started out as a buffalo wallow. Apparently they found a spring somewhere in there & now it's a large pond.
ROOIRIA #2
1 Stinkin' Badge
(03-24-2019, 07:51 PM)Blacktank Wrote: looks like i need to learn how to dress down a pig,should be no different from other four legged beasts,it's those glands that scare me,dont want to cut into one of them and have whatever squirt all over everything

For pig you'll need a barrel, fill with water, boil it. While waiting for boil, bleed into a bucket for blood sausage. Once water boiling, dunk pig. Swirl it around a bit til the bristles loosen. Scrub the bristles off the porker. You don't skin them really. The skin forms the rind of hams & such when you cure it (sugar cure, smoke, etc) - see ham hocks in the grocery. I don't recall any specific glands, just the normal cutting around the anus, tie it off, so the contents of the intestines don't taint the meat. Squeeze out the contents, wash thoroughly & boil - casings for sausage & chittlins.
My uncle raised hogs when I was growing up - used everything but the squeal. Pickle pig feet. The head: boil all the meat off , makes souse; the brains are good with scrambled eggs. If it's a boar, I can't tell you what they did with the pizzle, but I think it went to the dogs - or maybe sausage.
ROOIRIA #2
1 Stinkin' Badge
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to fantym1 for this post:
  • Blacktank (07-24-2019)

Gypsy telling me she thinks the trail is closed

Trav tests the water
ROOIRIA #2
1 Stinkin' Badge
  • Blacktank (07-24-2019)
I won't say my family of origin was "country folk", but ...
The electric line didn't go up on the road going past my uncle's place until I was almost 12 yo
I learned to read from his wallpaper, some of which dated from 1924
My grandfather never did get electric; he didn't believe in credit, oweing anyone or anything.
His earliest wallpaper was dated 1901. I was fascinated by some of the ads.
My grandmother grew a well-known herbal. She made it into a tincture - for her "female" trouble - still had a Rx written for it, dated 1908. I guess some "female" troubles never end ... I always wondered if it was papaw. He died at age 98, from the lead poisoning he caught jumping out of a bedroom window, not his own. She was 105 when she passed & yep, still taking her tincture daily.
ROOIRIA #2
1 Stinkin' Badge
  • Snikwahjm (07-24-2019)
Betcha thought I'd got truly misoriented (ha!) but now in CO, Cripple Creek (there was a song...when I was younger) & oh I have been walking in beauty (dogs just wanna find Alvin or something)
But damn if I can post the pix

The trip up Phantom Canyon rd between Canon City & here was breathtaking - every time I got to tunnel (2), a bridge or passage between mountain abutments but there are several spots for dispersed camping along the way
ROOIRIA #2
1 Stinkin' Badge
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to fantym1 for this post:
  • Blacktank (07-24-2019), rvpopeye (07-24-2019)
Not that a shower helps my headspace, but...

Apparently, resizing pix to kilobyte size isn't something this (new) fone can do - but my avatar was taken ystrdy along Phantom Canyon rd
ROOIRIA #2
1 Stinkin' Badge