Vandweller Forum
Mini Van Ideas - Printable Version

+- Vandweller Forum (https://vandwellerforum.com)
+-- Forum: Vehicle discussion (https://vandwellerforum.com/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Passenger (https://vandwellerforum.com/forum-64.html)
+--- Thread: Mini Van Ideas (/thread-969.html)

Pages: 1 2

Mini Van Ideas - Optimistic Paranoid - 02-20-2018

Online article showing 5 min van conversions.

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/diy-camper-conversions/

RE: Mini Van Ideas - Heidi Mull - 02-21-2018

(02-20-2018, 10:17 AM)Optimistic Paranoid Wrote: Online article showing 5 min van conversions.

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/diy-camper-conversions/

It didn't look to me like any of those conversions had an actual refrigerator, or electrical setup that could power a laptop.

Which, might work awesome for some people, but doesn't for me! My minivan still has the setup in it, I don't stay overnight in it often these days but tend to use it if my illness stuff hits while I'm driving from point A to point B and suddenly need to pull over and lay down/be sick for a while. And the fridge still comes in awfully handy.

RE: Mini Van Ideas - Ballenxj - 02-21-2018

The thought of a mini van for travel camping has crossed my mind before, and the better mileage would be welcome.
Heidi, you could adapt solar to a mini van as well, but in a slightly limited fashion.
While I found that site interesting, I wish they would allow me to read the article without all the pop ups asking me to subscribe, share on facebook, or tweet. This is an annoyance that most sites seem to show no shame about, so, not picking on this one in specific.

RE: Mini Van Ideas - Heidi Mull - 02-21-2018

(02-21-2018, 09:10 AM)Ballenxj Wrote: Heidi, you could adapt solar to a mini van as well, but in a slightly limited fashion.

I do have a couple solar panels I was thinking of attempting to mount on my roof, but never got around to it, mainly because I wasn't sure I could do both that and a ceiling vent/fan, which is direly needed in the summer.

The setup I ended up living with for years was a house battery charged by the alternator, which worked pretty well because I drove it for hours most days. When I started experimenting with camping out in pretty areas rather than staying in the city, though, I really would have loved the option to sit still for a little longer and still have electricity!

RE: Mini Van Ideas - Optimistic Paranoid - 02-21-2018

(02-21-2018, 09:42 AM)Heidi Mull Wrote: I do have a couple solar panels I was thinking of attempting to mount on my roof, but never got around to it, mainly because I wasn't sure I could do both that and a ceiling vent/fan, which is direly needed in the summer.

If you could find a roof rack, or maybe an add on ladder rack, that would fir your minivan, you could probably mount the solar panels OVER the roof vent, and still have the vent be capable of being open and closed from the inside.

RE: Mini Van Ideas - TWIH - 05-30-2018

Ya I know, reviving a dead thread, however I’m a sucker for anything minivan related, especially what Heidi was thinking of doing. 

Since ventilation in a minivan is a reasl challenge (even sunroofs dont work well when its raining), and as getting solar is a challenge (not many vans have a panel on top), I was wondering what if anything she has done.

Update?

RE: Mini Van Ideas - Heidi Mull - 05-30-2018

(05-30-2018, 02:02 PM)TWIH Wrote: Ya I know, reviving a dead thread, however I’m a sucker for anything minivan related, especially what Heidi was thinking of doing. 

Since ventilation in a minivan is a reasl challenge (even sunroofs dont work well when its raining), and as getting solar is a challenge (not many vans have a panel on top), I was wondering what if anything she has done.

Update?

Sadly haven't had the chance to do any of this. Sad

RE: Mini Van Ideas - TWIH - 05-30-2018

Please refresh my memory about your setup, and the thoughts about choice of van (is it a Sienna or an Odysee, I couldnt quite tell), and how you feel its working.
I saw you spoke of a fridg, was/is it the 12v compressor type so desired by vanners?  And you keep it powered how?

Many thanks

RE: Mini Van Ideas - MN C Van - 05-30-2018

Don't understand how a mini-van is any much different than any other vehicle as far as mixing panels and a vent.
I do understand cargo vans have a stamped spot for a vent cutout.
Is it filling in the stamped in stiffener ribs that's the problem?

You could raise panels, put on less panels, use different panel sizes or move front panel more forward and place vent between- in the given space.

I felt even those panels lowered MPG slightly, but didn't have a lot of fill ups before they went one, so raising more might be worse in MPG department!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=624]

RE: Mini Van Ideas - Heidi Mull - 05-30-2018

(05-30-2018, 03:13 PM)TWIH Wrote: Please refresh my memory about your setup, and the thoughts about choice of van (is it a Sienna or an Odysee, I couldnt quite tell), and how you feel its working.
I saw you spoke of a fridg, was/is it the 12v compressor type so desired by vanners?  And you keep it powered how?

Many thanks

I've been living in an RV trailer the past year, and definitely like that better.

I lived in (not out of) the minivan (2004 Sienna) for about two years, along with my partner. As with everything there are trade-offs, and our choice was very specific to my needs and location (Seattle). Living full time inside a minivan is not what I think anyone would consider comfortable. If you're mainly spending time outside of it and using it just to sleep at night, that might feel more enjoyable. It was sufficient to survive in, but for me not enough to thrive in. Read: alive but miserable.

I was still happy with my choice for minivan, however. Prior to that I spent almost a year in a full size 1986 Chevy G20 "conversion" van (just the bench seat in the back that folded down into a bed). That van had multiple break-in attempts and people reporting it each month. My Sienna? Never happened. Not once. I often went several days too ill to leave my rig, so it was imperative that while I was attempting to gather what little strength I had that I didn't have to deal with the reports or the break-ins. It was such relief when I got my minivan and they finally stopped. That said, I realize that's very area-specific, so YMMV.

Yes, I have a 12v compressor fridge, Dometic brand. I run it off a large AGM house battery in the back, charged by the alternator.

I certainly like the Siennas. It's been a reliable vehicle for me, they blend in well around here and have had (just barely) enough room for everything I've needed it for.

Hopefully I can take some pictures for you when I get the chance, but my life has turned inside out lately so it might be a while.