Vandweller Forum
Meet Faith - Printable Version

+- Vandweller Forum (https://vandwellerforum.com)
+-- Forum: Vehicle discussion (https://vandwellerforum.com/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Recreational (https://vandwellerforum.com/forum-66.html)
+--- Thread: Meet Faith (/thread-3636.html)

RE: Meet Faith - GypsyDogs - 08-25-2021

Slowly wending my way back to s&b location.
Not even off the road yet and I am wanting another trip… sigh
Lol

Guess that means I have an affinity for this mode of living.. Smile

RE: Meet Faith - rvpopeye - 08-25-2021

Now that we got ya hooked , ya might as well come along peacefully...........resistance is futile.

Glad you and the kids had a good tour.

RE: Meet Faith - Blacktank - 08-25-2021

was the trip interstates or backroads?,within 5-10 minutes on a interstate i turn into a road zombie,hate the things but a unique life exist there

RE: Meet Faith - Snikwahjm - 08-25-2021

Gary, I hate interstates too. Georgie and I drove mostly the Lincoln highway (US30) through Iowa and Nebraska. In South Dakota we got off the beaten path except near Chamberlin where there is a cool Indian maiden overlooking the Missouri River at a rest stop. We like to see state capitals. We stopped at anything kinda shiny and were well rewarded. We saw stuff we would have never seen from the interstate. Some was found through research but there is a lot of cool things just sitting next to a road. We made no effort to bypass small towns and we saw some very interesting places. Some times we found places by just talking to people. Some stuff we just saw is we saw old windmills in front of a land fill in South Dakota- might have been a hundred old wooden windmills some body restored. Amazing. Small town or county museums really give you an idea what things were like a few years ago. National monuments and parks are cool but state parks are cool and not as crowded some times. We brake for historical markers, murals, statutes, old cemeteries, cool old missions and churches, odd and twisted trees, you name it we stop. We do not get any where in a hurry. One night Georgie and I stayed in the car wash for 3 hours washing our vans... the machine never did turn off. We stopped in small places as well as some of the big bucket list places. We had no deadlines and no reservations to worry about. If we got tired we stopped. Some of the most disappointing places were tourist traps we had been to when we were kids. They all had the same stuff for sale and looked a bit the same. We found out there is a big company that buys up property in tourist towns and sells the same stuff in an area. Not much is truly local in a tourist trap. In Sturgis we stopped at the tourism place and talked to the biker lady in charge. Once she figured out what we liked she sent us on all kinds of fun places. Loved her. We figured out we don’t sleep in tourist towns. We might sleep near one but not in one.

RE: Meet Faith - GypsyDogs - 08-26-2021

I used a mix of Interstate and rural highways. I need places to easily pull off for the kids..
we slept in rest areas and truck stops and random places and a couple rv parks (when it was beastly hot (poor dogs) and we needed to refresh water and dump tanks and do laundry..) found inexpensive ones - cozy and friendly. (Highly recommend Snowville!) We had a fantastic trip. Alas— parked in the driveway now.. but already planning the next foray into the macadm-wilds…

Have a short list of things I need to do first. This was an excellent 3week dress rehearsal for more extended road time.
Just need that work-from-van job and to replenish our road fund.
This trip was to attend my sister’s wedding- and 5k miles in a Rt190P will eat the gas kitty something fierce.. lol

RE: Meet Faith - rvpopeye - 08-26-2021

My 350 gets 6mpg................

RE: Meet Faith - GypsyDogs - 08-26-2021

I was getting 15-18 depending on wind and terrain ?

RE: Meet Faith - Abnorm - 08-26-2021

Hiya Gypsy.............

We recently stopped Overnite at Lake Selmac in Oregon upon your recommend.....Nice Place.....Algae bloom so No Swimming

Thanks and see ya later

RE: Meet Faith - rvpopeye - 08-27-2021

15-18..........damn good for an RV !
But , yeah you still have to pay for the gas and 5K IS quite a few miles..
So the question really is...Did you enjoy the trip enough for it to be worth it to you ?
I'm guessing a big yes... the poochicles probably agree.

RE: Meet Faith - GypsyDogs - 08-27-2021

Got to see my sister (and meet her new family) and see some old friends and my ‘home’ in the PNW.
Also got to see a lot of scenery and have a lot of quiet time and the dogs got to smell all the things.
Already looking forward to the next trip.. ?