Vandweller Forum
Change in vehicles coming up - Printable Version

+- Vandweller Forum (https://vandwellerforum.com)
+-- Forum: Vehicle discussion (https://vandwellerforum.com/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Passenger (https://vandwellerforum.com/forum-64.html)
+--- Thread: Change in vehicles coming up (/thread-1998.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Change in vehicles coming up - TWIH - 11-07-2018

Some vehicle changes coming in late December.  Through a game of “family wants a different ride roulette”, I will be giving my Prius to my son who will be selling his car and another relative will be gifting him a Ford Edge (older generation, maybe 2010?) and he will gift that to me...  Confused

So pros are: It’s AWD, I will know the maintenance history, doesn’t need any work, quite low mileage (under 50,000), doesn’t leak, no smoke, no body damage in or out, no rust, is about 33% bigger inside than the Prius (like I could actually roll over or even halfway sit up), has a roof rack that I could put a solar panel on.

Cons: Gas mileage is 1/3rd of the Prius in town and close to 1/2 on the highway. No ability to run ac at night in hot climates like the electric ac on the Prius, and car specific forums say that you MUST keep the coolant flushed every 2 years or so and the centre differential fluid (TPU?) changed annually or you will have a $2200 and a $1600 repair bill respectively (internal water pump requiring front of engine disassembly and the TPU gear oil sludges up due to heat and dries...)

So it isn’t the hoped for minivan but from what I’ve seen on dealer lots or on CL, most everything 2007-2010 has a bunch of miles (like 140-200K) and lots of forum reported repair issues (most brands have problems with their power sliding doors, to name a common expensive one).

Since this will give me more room and I will still look “normal/stealthy”, it may be a win-win. He gets an economical commute car and I get a known low-mileage replacement of about the same era. Yay for elderly family who can’t drive anymore...

Not like this news will cause anyone to stand up and cheer but hey, it’s more liveable than what I currently have. Now to try and put a pop top on it... ha ha   Shy

RE: Change in vehicles coming up - Texjbird - 11-07-2018

Smile  THIS SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD THING TO ME.
  I DON'T REMEMBER IF YOU INTEND TO DO A LOT OF TRAVELING OR NOT.  FOR ME IN THE TRADE OFF OF MORE MPG OR BEING MORE COMFORTABLE........COMFORT WOULD WIN IN MY WORLD.  ARE YOU FAMILIAR  WITH THE SAYING "BUILT FOR COMFORT NOT FOR SPEED"?  I LIKE GOING FAST HOWEVER IT'S 2ND TO COMFORT FOR ME.

I HOPE EVERY THING WORKS OUT FOR YOU.

JEWELL ANN

RE: Change in vehicles coming up - TWIH - 11-08-2018

(11-07-2018, 11:22 PM)Texjbird Wrote: Smile  THIS SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD THING TO ME.
  I DON'T REMEMBER IF YOU INTEND TO DO A LOT OF TRAVELING OR NOT.  FOR ME IN THE TRADE OFF OF MORE MPG OR BEING MORE COMFORTABLE........COMFORT WOULD WIN IN MY WORLD.  ARE YOU FAMILIAR  WITH THE SAYING "BUILT FOR COMFORT NOT FOR SPEED"?  I LIKE GOING FAST HOWEVER IT'S 2ND TO COMFORT FOR ME.

I HOPE EVERY THING WORKS OUT FOR YOU.

JEWELL ANN

Some travel, right now not so much but in the summers a lot so yes, something other than an enclosed skateboard would be nice... thanks

RE: Change in vehicles coming up - TWIH - 11-08-2018

Guess if I go out in it I will look like an SUV dweller vs a van dweller...

RE: Change in vehicles coming up - ratfink56 - 11-09-2018

Mobile citizen.

RE: Change in vehicles coming up - TWIH - 11-09-2018

I’ll try to keep everyone posted on mods... it’s simpler than a minivan as I can’t put in a cot, won’t do a house battery so no extra wiring (c-d solenoid), might get a small 20 watt dashboard solar panel to keep the starting battery topped up through the power-point that’s always hot. Smaller ice chest (can’t do a compressor fridg due to electrical draw), just the basics for extended trips.

RE: Change in vehicles coming up - TWIH - 05-30-2019

As I look back on the Nov 2018 post, I see that I had high hopes (well, maybe just above the ground hopes) for using the Edge. Turns out while bigger than the Prius, it's no more useful than any car, and certainly smaller than a Crown Vic. It does have a flat floor, which cars don't have. It does get 20 mpg or higher regularly, so that's ok. However it is poor on ventilation (windows don't help when its raining) and the black interior is HOT here in the summer. So, while I am still with my son and family, it will have to change to something else, a la minivan, by the summer, when he moves.

I've made several week long trips in it and while I have only a HF jump pack for power, that's been sufficient due to daily driving. A cooler that holds a 10# bag of ice for 2-3 days is all I am using, and with a roll-up foamy, that's about it. No cooking in it (too small a space) so everything has to be shelf stable as far as food goes, or consumed in one meal if not. I don't even use a propane stove, just haven't seen the need. Lots of truckstops and convenience stores to get free hot water for tea (Canadian roots, eh). Window blocks are just simple sunshields of varying sizes, motel parking lots are the norm for overnights.

Doable for the longer term? Not really, I'd have a tough winter in this if its down to 14 degrees (F) like it was here last Jan/Feb. At least its paid for, and insurance/plates/maintenance are budgeted for $150/mo, gas at $150-200/mo, pretty much the rest is available food. Short-term it works.

I have seen a couple of vanners in the nearby area, it is sure easy to spot them once you know what to look for; the roof vent is the single biggest giveaway for me. That and so far the generally unkempt condition of the vehicles. That's why I am adamant about staying with a minivan for urban camping.

Till later then.

Change in vehicles coming up - Cammalu - 05-30-2019

Good luck on your van search! Comfort can’t be overrated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Change in vehicles coming up - Queen - 05-30-2019

We had a minivan for a minute, would have made a perfect stealth camper, but we got a lemon. Around here (middle of Illinois) used ones are everywhere and relatively affordable. Good luck with your search.

RE: Change in vehicles coming up - Gr8ful - 05-30-2019

Maybe you could trade it for a minivan if you can find one without a million miles on them. We had several, never any major issues & ran them all to at least 200k & 1 to 300K miles & they all we running great when we sold them. My wife hit a deer in one & it cracked the big grill so small you have to know it was there & they totalled it so we bought it back & put another 100k on it. All Dodge/Chrysler ones.