Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this a good controller for a LiFePO4 and a 160 watt panel?
I  have just ordered a very pricey LiFePO4 battery to go with my 160 watt solar panel.  Now I want a MPPT controller and I was hoping someone here could confirm this is the correct controller for the battery and panel.  I believe it is the correct controller but I would like a second opinion please.

The charge controller:

https://fazcorp.co.nz/collections/mppt-s...v-ml2430-1

With a MPPT Bluetooth Communication Module so I can monitor the solar system from my Amazon Kindle:

https://fazcorp.co.nz/collections/mppt-s...ies-bt-1-1

Solar panel:
Standard power: 160 Watts
Maximum power voltage: 17.8
Maximum power current: 9.0A
Open Circuit voltage: 21.1V
Short Circuit current: 9.5A

LiFePO4 battery:
Nominal voltage: 12v
Capacity: 100Ah
Discharge cut-off voltage: 8.4v
Operating voltage min 11.5 V - max 14.8 V At 80 % DOD
Optimal discharge current < 50 A
Charge voltage: 14.6v
(07-19-2019, 11:26 PM)GimmyTree Wrote: LiFePO4 battery:
These specs suggest to me that the manufacturer considers 14.6 to by the terminal voltage at Full charge and 11.5 to be the terminal voltage at 20% SOC.   The discharge against SOC would show very little capacity difference between 11.8, my preferred figure, and 11.5    My preferred Low Voltage Cutoff contains a little bit of safety margin that is mostly psychological.   Yeah, I could go lower but don't need to and there is a lot less anxiety for me in the slightly higher figure.

Similarly, I prefer charging my LiFePo4 batteries to 14.2 as again providing a small safety margin against over charging.
(07-20-2019, 02:17 AM)Ticklebelly Wrote:
(07-19-2019, 11:26 PM)GimmyTree Wrote: LiFePO4 battery:
These specs suggest to me that the manufacturer considers 14.6 to by the terminal voltage at Full charge and 11.5 to be the terminal voltage at 20% SOC.   The discharge against SOC would show very little capacity difference between 11.8, my preferred figure, and 11.5    My preferred Low Voltage Cutoff contains a little bit of safety margin that is mostly psychological.   Yeah, I could go lower but don't need to and there is a lot less anxiety for me in the slightly higher figure.

Similarly, I prefer charging my LiFePo4 batteries to 14.2 as again providing a small safety margin against over charging.
So I guess I can also charge and discharge the battery to the same levels as you (14.2 & 11.8).  Sweet Smile
It states it can charge LiFePo and the price sure seems decent.

Guess you'll be our beta tester.....best of luck to ya !

Keep us updated and ask anything else that you need input on...

......on another note,,,,have you checked out the YARC yet ?
(Only the very most "Ain't Right" are eligible ,unless
you're any kind of musician , you're already IN !
Read post #1 first)

OOOOO , almost forgot , post pictures as you go , nothing more requested on this forum,,,,(if no pics , it didn't happen ! )
stay tuned 
popeye

Weirdo Overlord : FMS Fleet Ops , Awards , Badges ,  aka Tamerlane the Impaler Mod.
(07-20-2019, 03:44 AM)rvpopeye Wrote: It states it can charge LiFePo and the price sure seems decent.

Guess you'll be our beta tester.....best of luck to ya !

Keep us updated and ask anything else that you need input on...

......on another note,,,,have you checked out the YARC yet ?
(Only the very most "Ain't Right" are eligible ,unless
you're any kind of musician , you're already IN !
Read post #1 first)

OOOOO , almost forgot , post pictures as you go , nothing more requested on this forum,,,,(if no pics , it didn't happen ! )

I'll setup the solar system next weekend once all parts arrive, then I'll do some testing and give a review of the whole setup.

I'll check out the YARC tomorrow morning but for now I'm going to have to get some sleep.  Struggling to stay awake as I type this.

I haven't really got anything to take photo's of at the moment, but I'll see what I have been able to put together by next weekend.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to GimmyTree for this post:
  • rvpopeye (07-20-2019)
Yup yup , if you need any help post er up!
stay tuned 
popeye

Weirdo Overlord : FMS Fleet Ops , Awards , Badges ,  aka Tamerlane the Impaler Mod.