Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Audio Books
A friend told me about this and I finally tried it. I went to a library and got a library card, it wasn’t as easy as it should be, but I did manage to get one. Here is a hint, get it while you still have a physical address.

Then you get the LIBBY app. It is a library app that allows you to “borrow” audio books for up to 14 days. Most libraries allow you to use Libby. You can also check out ebooks and you can put a hold on any book that isn’t available and you will be notified when it is available.

This is the perfect NOMAD library. It is all digital and can be done on a phone. I enjoy audiobooks and ebooks. I have listened to my first audiobook and it was just as good as if I had bought it, no difference, other than the fact that using the app makes it all free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[-] The following 6 users say Thank You to Blanch for this post:
  • TrainChaser (09-22-2018), Putts (09-22-2018), MN C Van (09-22-2018), Snikwahjm (09-23-2018), Cammalu (09-23-2018), TWIH (09-23-2018)
Thanks Blanch. We both got library cards this year and that would be great for the hours spent driving
monkeyfoot
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Cammalu for this post:
  • Blanch (09-23-2018)
Exactly true. When I moved down to North Carolina to be with my son, one of the first things I did as soon as I got a piece of mail, was to get a local library card. There they told me of the Libby option. While I have not used it yet, it is there to be used...

Thanks Blanch.
"Life is short, smile while you still have teeth."
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to TWIH for this post:
  • Blanch (09-23-2018)
Perhaps get a stint in jail just long enough to get mail ...
Sometimes dweller in 237k miles '07 Grand C-van w/ a solar powered fridge and not much else
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MN C Van for this post:
  • Blanch (09-23-2018)
(09-23-2018, 09:32 AM)MN C Van Wrote: Perhaps get a stint in jail just long enough to get mail ...

That makes no sense, at least use an emoji to indicate you’re trying to be funny...
  • Blanch (09-23-2018)
The physical address thing has been a pain in my butt. The short answer is to get everything in place while you still have one. I had to argue my way into a library card, the fact that I didn’t plan to check anything out and just wanted the card helped. I admit I have been very middle class my entire life, being poor and considered homeless has been eye opening.

So true. My Az Maricopa county library system required proof annually of residency, and the snitty old ladies who seemed to always be behind the counter viewed their job as weeding out all possible users of the system, forgetting that it’s circulation that drives their organization... yes you should be a ‘taxpayer’ in order to use the county library yet taxes are paid when you purchase anything at a store, and the city, county and state all get their share.  That’s why I don’t understand the zealousness of requiring an address, the modern libraries I usually see don’t seem to have cash flow issues.
  • Blanch (09-23-2018)
It is just crazy how I get treated from time to time. When I was at the DMV to renew my drivers license they asked if I wanted the new federal ID. I said I was legally considered homeless, or something along those lines, and the woman stepped back a foot from the counter like breathing the same air as me was an unhealthy thing to do. I have all my teeth and my clothes are clean, I don’t look like a drug addict. I sure get treated like a drug addict from time to time.

Blanche, you have to remember that most people lead such small, limited, boring, controlled lives that they are completely unable to understand the concept of Freedom. The idea of roaming around the country, looking at wonderful things is beyond their understanding. While it is irritating, they are more to be pitied.
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to TrainChaser for this post:
  • Blanch (09-23-2018), TWIH (09-23-2018), Snikwahjm (09-23-2018)
TC, that was a great comment.  

It’s one thing to be nomadic, quite another to be a permanent fixture on Skid Row. 

Why is it that when we are not chained to a S&B with a 40 hour job, we are considered “weird” or abnormal. And that’s the nicer things they think, some believe we are criminals or worse.

I constantly had to hide my living/sleeping out of the Prius as I felt nobody around me would understand. Fortunately it was after I had a drivers license and all that however if I have to go out again that could rise up to get me again.

Here in NC the requirements for the Real ID compliant drivers license are simply outrageous. Not many people have all this documentation. All it takes is a fire or theft and poof, you can lose the important papers that control your life.  Confused