Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The location connection thread
I will be setting up a spread sheet to record the location, connecting and speeds of my various hotspots as I move around. I invite all to add their results in the locations they visit so that we might build a data base so that others can use this info while choosing their boondocking spots. I will given the time run two sets of test with and without the boosters. Some of what I report early on will have to be from memory of the locations I have been in. I have not kept a running log but generally can remember what connected. This first entry is a repeat of what I posted in the 4G Verizon thread.

Again please add your results even if it is only I am here and my (blank) hotspot/phone does or does not connect. Number of bars, DB strength and download/upload speeds, roaming or not will be a huge help.
[-] The following 8 users say Thank You to justjim for this post:
  • Blanch (05-04-2018), Everyroadleadshome (05-04-2018), Motrukdriver (05-12-2018), American Nomad Patriot (05-12-2018), heron (06-23-2018), Matlock (01-26-2019), TrainChaser (06-09-2019), frater secessus (07-12-2019)
I am currently on Casa Diablo rd outside of Bishop, Ca. These results are without using my boosters.

My $5 a month Verizon 4G hotspot sitting in a north facing window pulling 12.2 Mbps down and 6 Mbps up.

My AT&T Mobley is pulling 19.5 Mbps down and 4 Mbps up

Mt T-Mobile is pulling 28 Mbps down but only 357 kbps up which is fine since it is used for streaming only.

My Sprint is roaming and while it is connected it is barely usable at 226 kbps down and 24 kbps up

My $5 Verizon 3G hotspot is pulling 1.3 Mbps down and 234 kbps up.

I might be able to improve speeds with the boosters but with the speeds I am seeing on three of the four hotspots there just is no need.

By the way, I use testmy.net to run my speed test.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to justjim for this post:
  • Blacktank (05-18-2018), heron (06-23-2018)
While this is a bit of a detour, I want to add that the AT&T Mobley I have been using (on Jim's recommendation last year) has been working fine, even in places where my T-mobile phone had no service.

I extended the power cord, and I raise it up to about 15-20 feet on an extendable pole, when service is weak at ground level, and have been getting good results. 

The Mobley is at the top of the pole in this photo:

Wondering about Wandering.
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
  • American Nomad Patriot (05-12-2018), heron (06-23-2018), RoamingRaven (09-25-2018)
I have to admit that the Mobley is my go to device most of the time. I think areas of the Colorado Rockies were the only places it did not connect, neither did Verizon. Sprint and T-Mobile saved mt bacon there. I had no AT&T at the Grand Canyon but I was using Freedompop AT&T at the time. Real AT&T might be different.
No spread sheet yet but I am at 8000 ft in the Mountains above Mammoth Lakes. I was planning on spending a week but it started snowing last night and will daily from here on out. I will be moving back closer to Bishop where the weather is better. All four services are connecting and the test are as such.

On the booster and directional antenna that may have moved

T-Mobile 19.4 Mbps download, 3.7 upload

Verizon 4g 5.9 doewload 2.8 upload

Verizon 3g 1.6 download 60 kbps upload

AT&T Mobley 21.8 download 5.5 upload

Sprint 4g (roaming) 291 kbps download 249 upload

No booster

T-Mobile 25 Mbps dowload 3.2 Mbps upload

Verizon 4g 4.6 download 3.2 upload

Verizon 3g 1.8 Download 339 kbps upload

AT&T Mobley 22 Mbps download 2.6 upload

Sprint 4g (roaming) 103 kbps download 111 kbps upload

A bit of a disclaimer on the booster tests. Normally setting up the directional for each hotspot is a all day thing, this time I only tuned it for the Verizon 4G. I know there are at least two towers in opposite directions that I could pull from so the numbers may be off. . A third test would have been with the Omni directional antenna had I hooked it up.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to justjim for this post:
  • Blacktank (05-18-2018)
Some pretty interesting so far results today. I am on Movie road near the two arches outside of Lone Pine. I was here recently here in a spot down the road and up a bit in elevation. I thought for sure I was getting better results or a least connections on all services.

The most interesting thing is while the $5 a month Verizon 4G shows 1X, 3G and 4GLTE on the antenna indicator I believe it only connects to the 4GLTE signal. Right now it shows the same 3 bars of 3G that the $5 a month 3G does but it does not connect me to the internet while the 3G hotspot does. So now I do have a reason to keep both of them going.

My 4GAS T-Mobile hotspot shows a decent LTE signal but drops it after a few seconds of being turned on. It is either being prioritized off of the tower.

The AT&T Mobley is seeing two towers with the stronger signal being congested.

My PC4P Sprint hotspot is roaming and while the numbers are low it loads web pages just fine.

The numbers so far without a booster.

AT&T Mobley a average of 2 Mbps down and 764 up

Verizon 3G 861 kbps down 168 up

Sprint (roaming) 250 kbps down 31 kbps up

Verizon 4G and T-Mobile do not connect.

I am going to set up the booster unless we move. I will rerun the test and post the results. I will also post about the 3G/4G issues in their respective threads.
  • Blacktank (05-18-2018)
This next series of test is in the same location but with the Wilson Sleek using a Omni directional antenna. The improvement is big. These test take all day considering I am testing four hotspots today with multiple speed test on each in five ways. The hotspots alone in the best position in the trailer that I can find. Then on the Sleek with both the directional and omni directional antennas and for this one time the really expensive RV booster from weBoost. I am giving it back after this because in my review I did not see anything about it that made the extra bulk, cords, parts and especially power consumption that made it worth while.

So on the the Sleek test with the Omni directional

The AT&T Mobley jumped to as high as 12 Mbps download and 2.7 Mbps upload

The 4GAS T-Mobile held its connection and provided 10.6 Mbps download (the hotspots meter showed as high as 17 Mbps) and 1.9 upload

the PC4P Sprint hotspot still roamed and only improved a little on the download to 268 kbps but the up load more than tripled to 248 kbps

The Verizon 3G hotspot had a high of 2 Mbps, average of 1.6 Mbps download and 181 kbps upload steady

There was no change in the unusable status of the Verizon 4G hotspot even though it showed more bars.

Fine tuning the directional for each hotspot will take some time
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to justjim for this post:
  • MNPaul (05-18-2018), Blacktank (05-18-2018)
Wow running these test is draining. lol

On to the Sleek and directional antenna results. Each device was tested for speed multiple times, I did find that there were towers in 3 positions and that being able to focus on the best tower made a improvement and I am posting the best reception numbers.

The AT&T Mobley averaged 14 Mbps download and 4.2 up. This was mid day and later when I ran the test again in comparison with the RV booster the speeds were faster.

The 4GAS T-Mobile had three towers to chose from but oddly enough the best signal was pointed right at a big rock. it averaged 18 Mbps down and 2.3 Mbps up.

The Verizon 3G clocked in at 2.6 Mbps down and 213 up.

I was unable to test the Sprint hotspot as I was not able to get its manager to open to see the db levels to see what direction was best.

The 4G Verizon was not seeing a signal no matter what I did. It did get nice speeds for the short time it connected today.
  • tx2sturgis (05-18-2018)
Mobley for the WIN!

Big Grin

I wonder if you might want to try what I did:

Extend the 12v, 22 ga power wires, and mount that thing up high on a pole. 

Since it is a simple on-off via the power cord, and only two LED indicators, it can sit happily humming along up on a pole at 20-30 feet, (or more) and grab the distant signals that wont connect at ground level.  I suspect it has a pretty hot receiver since it is designed to operate in a steel vehicle cage, down underneath the steering wheel, plugged into the OBD2 port. 

I have thought about rigging up some kind of parabolic reflector for it, but have not tried that. 

Of course, rain would be an issue, so for my tests I have just slipped a sandwich bag over it and secured it with a rubber band.

Up at 20 feet, I can't see the little LEDs during the day, but facing the Mobley downward I can just barely see them at night. 

Of course, the admin page lets you see the signal bars and all the pertinent settings are right there. 

If you have good luck with it like I have, you won't even need a booster for it...reducing the power requirements and eliminating the tangle of wires and cables and cradles.

Wondering about Wandering.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to tx2sturgis for this post:
  • RoamingRaven (09-25-2018)
Now for the RV booster directional test. The thing with this booster is while it is suppose to flood the RV with a boosted signal, you have to have the device right on the indoor emitter to get these results. Anything more the 6 inches away and you would barely know it is on. It was later in the day and speeds were higher but in rerunning the Mobley test the Sleek numbers were too.

The Mobley came in averaging 18 Mbps down and one test was 22 Mbps. That was the only test with a high upload speed of 5.4. The rest were 2 Mbps while the Sleek was consistently higher between 4.5 and 5.4 Mbps up.

T-Mobile averaged 17 Mbps down and a consistent 2.7 up

The Verizon 3G numbers were really down but as mentioned it went off line shortly after this test. 360 kbps down and 171 kbps up was the best I saw

Again the Sprint and Verizon 4G test was not able to be run.

Oddly after the Sleek did well on the omni directional antenna only the Mobely responded to it on the RV booster with a average of 7 down and a average of 2-3 Mbps up.

T-Mobile would not connect, the 3G numbers were the same as above. Sprint showed a high of 370 kbps down and 263 up. The 4G Verizon did not connect.

I am giving the RV booster back now. The only thing I will miss is the Omni directional antenna for when it is too windy or I am too lazy to tune the directional on the Sleek. The fact that you still need to be on top of the indoor unit, have a extra part in between the antennas and the emitter plus the fact that it draws twice the power that the Sleek does while only producing good results with the directional antenna dose not make it very attractive at over 2 1/2 times the price.

So ends the extended test on Movie road. It is a challenging area to get internet in and I am told the two spots I have been in are some of the few that it can be had. The Sleek certainly proved it worth while the RV booster did not.
  • tx2sturgis (05-18-2018)