Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Water damage, the good the bad and other upgrades
Whoaaaaah , that "Ain't Right" , I hope there's a way around that ! Tongue
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC 
ROOIRIA  
14 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 7 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards
1 of which is a limited edition Turkey Poop Spreader (What a "Stinkin' " honor !)

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to rvpopeye for this post:
  • shadow (02-10-2018)
(02-09-2018, 07:45 PM)shadow Wrote: Dealing with this is harder than you think, and there is no book that tells you what to do next, you have to figure it all out
by your self.

My parents didn`t want a funeral, just wanted to be cremated and that's it, so that's what I had done, and even at that, it was over four thousand dollars. Then there is dealing with the other bills that they had, as well as cleaning out the house and work shop so I can get it ready to sell.

And the best part I found out today. My mom was in a care home for two years that was paid for by medicaide, and I found out today that I have to repay all of it. I havn`t got the total amount yet, but it is some were around 96000 to 104000 dollars.

So I have to sell everything of value, which is not a big deal, because when I move into my rv I wouldn`t have room for
it anyway. It is very over whelming to say the least, and I have to get everything done as soon as possible because I only have
a small amount of money to keep things going here...
Cremation was over 4K? I hate to say this, but it sounds like somebody padded the bill. I've looked into simple cremation before and got all kinds of figures, from $600. and up. If I recall, the $600 was from a group that call themselves The Neptune Society. The problem is, these funeral and cremation people seem to take advantage of people during the worst time of their lives, and especially while they are grieving. The absolute worst are funeral parlors. I recommend asking for an itemized bill, showing exactly what that 4k was for, and how they arrived at that amount. Does the care home facility have any proof of debt? Are they trying to lien the property?
 It sounds to me like you need to sit down, take a breath, and be allowed to grieve in a normal manner, if that makes any sense.
 The Captain and Crew Finally got their stuff together. 
 Now if they can only remember where they put it.   Rolleyes
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Ballenxj for this post:
  • shadow (02-10-2018), Snikwahjm (02-10-2018), heron (02-18-2018)
(02-09-2018, 08:39 PM)Ballenxj Wrote:
(02-09-2018, 07:45 PM)shadow Wrote: Dealing with this is harder than you think, and there is no book that tells you what to do next, you have to figure it all out
by your self.

My parents didn`t want a funeral, just wanted to be cremated and that's it, so that's what I had done, and even at that, it was over four thousand dollars. Then there is dealing with the other bills that they had, as well as cleaning out the house and work shop so I can get it ready to sell.

And the best part I found out today. My mom was in a care home for two years that was paid for by medicaide, and I found out today that I have to repay all of it. I havn`t got the total amount yet, but it is some were around 96000 to 104000 dollars.

So I have to sell everything of value, which is not a big deal, because when I move into my rv I wouldn`t have room for
it anyway. It is very over whelming to say the least, and I have to get everything done as soon as possible because I only have
a small amount of money to keep things going here...
Cremation was over 4K? I hate to say this, but it sounds like somebody padded the bill. I've looked into simple cremation before and got all kinds of figures, from $600. and up. If I recall, the $600 was from a group that call themselves The Neptune Society. The problem is, these funeral and cremation people seem to take advantage of people during the worst time of their lives, and especially while they are grieving. The absolute worst are funeral parlors. I recommend asking for an itemized bill, showing exactly what that 4k was for, and how they arrived at that amount. Does the care home facility have any proof of debt? Are they trying to lien the property?
 It sounds to me like you need to sit down, take a breath, and be allowed to grieve in a normal manner, if that makes any sense.

The 4k cremation was for both my mom and dad, they just wanted the most basic funeral possible, and that is what I got them. And I do agree that even that seems high priced to me, and that was with a six hundred dollar discount because the funeral home was doing both of them at the same time.

The care home was paid by Medicaid, so they have nothing to do with the billing, but I`m finding out that you have to pay back Medicaid at the end of it all. I`m glad I have the house and other items to sell that will bring a good amount of money,
because if I had to pay this back on my own, it would take the rest of my life to do it.

As for being allowed to grieve in a normal manner, I have been trying to keep busy and not think about it. I just can`t afford
to fall a part right now. Once this is all over and I can finally sit back and relax I`m sure it will hit me them.
2001 Phoenix Cruiser 2300B
On A Ford E350 Chassis
V10 Engine
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to shadow for this post:
  • Ballenxj (02-10-2018)
(02-09-2018, 08:12 PM)rvpopeye Wrote: Whoaaaaah , that "Ain't Right" , I hope there's a way around that ! Tongue
I agree it ain`t right.

I wish there was a way around it also, but I havn`t been able to find it.
On A Ford E350 Chassis
V10 Engine
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to shadow for this post:
  • rvpopeye (02-10-2018)
(02-09-2018, 10:04 PM)shadow Wrote: The 4k cremation was for both my mom and dad, they just wanted the most basic funeral possible, and that is what I got them. And I do agree that even that seems high priced to me, and that was with a six hundred dollar discount because the funeral home was doing both of them at the same time.
I see. Now may not be the ideal time to discuss this, and I think you should try and rest a bit before getting back into this, but I smell a rat in the funeral home. Ask them for an itemized bill, but sign nothing, at least not yet.
 The Captain and Crew Finally got their stuff together. 
 Now if they can only remember where they put it.   Rolleyes
My parents had all their funeral arrangements made in advance and my sister took care of all the BS involved when my parents passed (4 years apart).  She lives in the same town as them and I live 1200 miles away.  Anyway, both were cremated but wanted a traditional Christian funeral.  So they were on display for a couple hours before the service then came the funeral service itself.  All this to say the funeral home charged $1200 each to "rent" the cheap casket for that brief period of time.
Wow, sorry for your losses. Having gone through that process a few times myself I know how difficult it can be while you're in the middle of it. I don't remember what it cost to have my Dad cremated, but I think it was around $1200 which included a 2 hr wake at the funeral home. More a memorial service I guess, he was already cremated when we had the wake.

You wouldn''t be responsible for that nursing home bill regardless. Their estate is responsible, so if their estate didn't have any assets or cash that would be the end of it, but it sounds like it does so that gets paid and whatever is left goes to you and anyone else they left in their will. There are ways to get around it, but that has to all be done before they pass and maybe they had set something up.

I'd talk with an estate lawyer. A few hundred bucks for a consultation could save you tens of thousands in the long run
I had a few good things happen today.

I had a bunch of relatives over today, I let them have all of the furniture, pictures, and other items in the house that they wanted.
It was all stuff that I sure couldn`t use in the rv, so at all needed to go.

The best part of the day, My dad had a Cat 226B skid steer and I sold it for $9500 dollars.
I also have other people interested in a bunch of other items, so I hope that all works out.

I walk into the house now, and its just about empty. Its really a weird feeling.
On A Ford E350 Chassis
V10 Engine
[-] The following 6 users say Thank You to shadow for this post:
  • Ballenxj (02-10-2018), rvpopeye (02-10-2018), S Cello (02-10-2018), AbuelaLoca (02-11-2018), Putts (02-11-2018), heron (02-18-2018)
Very sorry to hear of your loss, shadow! My thoughts and prayers are with you!
viajes seguros
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to AbuelaLoca for this post:
  • shadow (02-11-2018)
Things are proceeding better than I could have expected. I sold the skid steer yesterday, and I sold the truck today.
I didn`t get quite what I wanted for it, but it had to go. If I would have had more time I would have held out for a little more money, But I don`t have a lot of time to get things sold.

In the past two days I have made a little over thirty six thousand dollars. I wish I could use that money for a newer rv, but if
I have to pay back the Medicaid bill, its a good start.
On A Ford E350 Chassis
V10 Engine
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to shadow for this post:
  • AbuelaLoca (02-11-2018), rvpopeye (02-12-2018)