Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Reflectix under bedding
(12-29-2018, 07:00 PM)RiotRose Wrote: So the Relectix needs to be close enough to the body to radiate the heat back?
A 3" memory foam over it would prevent that?
Is Reflectix better than Mylar Blankets? Or is that the same thing?
Thanks

yes yes yes I am greener than a newbie

Rose, I gather you're a Texan/from-the-south, so these are all totally reasonable warmth questions (in this thread and others)!

I gather Popeye lives in his unit year round in Maine, so he's Da Man on these topics. Smile

Fortunately, you're not heading into persistent Arctic temps, you just need enough gear for short bursts down to probably 10F at worst.  You'll typically only experience that at night, with daytime temps probably 40F at worst.
That's much more manageable than Persistent Polar Vortex weather. Smile

You should definitely experiment with different gear while you're home, starting during the day with naps in your popup, and gradually increasing duration and trying colder times of day.

Try different configurations of cheap mular sheets, Reflectix, and various insulation.
Everyone is not the same, so what works for others may not work as well for you.
Experimenting is fun, particularly when you start with non-insane temps. Smile

Wool is awesome !
I've never tried lamb's wool, but as I've gotten older, "regular" wool is more irritating than in my youth.
I have several pairs of Merino wool socks, and regularly wear them for weeks during the winter without scratching/irritation.
In your case, even one pair of good wool socks is all you need to start with.
You'd mostly be wearing them at night, so don't have to change them often (unlike "regular" daytime socks).
If you buy at least one size bigger, you can layer them, if desired.
Polypro socks are a good liner.
I have some older wool socks that I use for sleeping, including oversized ones so I can wear two layers of wool, for toasty toes. Smile

Definitely buy several of the cheapest mylar sheets/blankets you can find.
Buy cheap so you don't hesitate to experiment with them. Smile

I mentioned AMK's "Heatsheet" above. They're pricier, but long lasting. That kit I mentioned above just dropped to a little under $9.

I lost my cold weather sleeping bag in the Midwest Flood of 2008, and have not "needed" to replace it.
Instead, I have beneath me:  one of those blue closed-cell camper pads, 1 thin fleece blanket on top of that, then 1 cotton sheet.
Above, I have:  2 blankets (one with Yote-cousins on it), a cotton sheet, and a Heatsheet.

If it's really cold, I wear two layers of loose-fitting fleece pants (dirt-cheap ones I bought one spring on sale at Walmart for $1 eadh), and a core/body Merino wool thingie, a cotton tee, sweatshirt, fleece jacket.

Sounds like you're set, headgear wise, however if you don't have a simple watchcap style hat, please do get one. If you've never slept in a hat, the full face thingie might be uncomfortable.
I always sleep completely underneath the blankets, so my face is never cold.
"Cause how you get there is the worthier part." Shephard Book to Kaylee, Firefly
[Image: dobby.png]

2019-Dec update:
I've escaped Winter!
(01-17-2019, 12:10 PM)Kaylee Wrote:
(12-29-2018, 07:00 PM)RiotRose Wrote: S the Relectix needs to be close enough to the body to radiate the heat back?
A 3" memory foam over it would prevent that?
Is Reflectix better than Mylar Blankets? Or is that the same thing?
Thanks

yes yes yes I am greener than a newbie

Rose, I gather you're a Texan/from-the-south, so these are all totally reasonable warmth questions (in this thread and others)!
Hi Kaylee, yes I'm from San Antonio, well just north in a little country town called Helotes.

At the rate I'm going it will likely be much warmer by the time I get there. Hopefully next month.
I tend to sleep hot anyways but I was just wanting to be prepared. Worse case scenario, I could have gone to a store over there if I needed more blankets or stuff. I try to think about anything possible and plan for that. Typically I over-pack. But since I'm not familiar with desert cold I was kinda freaking out. 
But thanks to you wonderful folks I've gotten lots of great ideas.
Gracias!!!!
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.

― Henry Ford
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to RiotRose for this post:
  • Kaylee (01-26-2019)
Rosie, I’m sleeping under a sheet and one blanket with my window open. Not too cold here now.
monkeyfoot
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Cammalu for this post:
  • RiotRose (01-19-2019)
I almost forgot... Reflectix also makes a warm mat or bed liner for the FurrPersons.  If your dog sleeps on the floor -- even on a blanket -- it makes it warmer if there is a piece under the blanket.  If your cat sleeps in a box or cat cave, same thing.  I've got three cats, three boxes, with Reflectix on the bottoms and up the sides, under their blankies.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to TrainChaser for this post:
  • Kaylee (01-26-2019)
(01-17-2019, 11:12 PM)RiotRose Wrote: I was just wanting to be prepared
I try to think about anything possible and plan for that.
But since I'm not familiar with desert cold I was kinda freaking out. 

Yes, yes, YES!!! Smile
The Force is strong with this one!

Rosie, my biggest frustration when reading CRVL is all the novices who do not yet think this way - you absolutely nailed the thought processes of somebody who is setting herself up to excel. Smile
Most of my favorite threads there are people sharing their fixes for mistakes (I'll be sharing mine, soon).

You've got a homebase, so take your time, and Launch on your own terms. Smile

TrainChaser:
Thanks for the timely reminder! Smile
I woke up to ice chunks between my top mylar sheet and the cotton sheet beneath it.
It was -17F outside.
Tonight will be milder (and my last (I hope!) unheated WI night), however I'm going to put a mylar sheet beneath me. Smile
Should have done that last night.
Recognize mistakes, always experiment, and tweak as needed.
"Cause how you get there is the worthier part." Shephard Book to Kaylee, Firefly

2019-Dec update:
I've escaped Winter!
Yup, mylar underneath helped a lot. Smile
Also finally dug out my oversized pair of wool socks - 2 layers is much better! Smile
Going back to the motel today.

2019-Dec update:
I've escaped Winter!
Well I have planned like crazy and still can't leave!! Had to evict a renter, now under contract to sell so gotta meet Inspector, Surveyor, Appraiser etc. Plus getting my car to be the best it can be. But I knew there was a reason I kept getting delayed. Now my emergency fund will be much more trustworthy. Thank God!

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.

― Henry Ford
It sucks wanting to go but being held back. So frustrating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
monkeyfoot