Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery maintenance for beginners
(12-04-2017, 12:11 PM)heron Wrote: Damn. I guess I'm going to be one of those who replace batteries periodically. Part of my issue is that I need to see and do what I'm learning, in order to have much of a clue. I dunno what the other part is. Just don't get it, and it really PISSES ME OFF. I'm not used to not getting it. >_<

Read lots of past posts by people you've learned know their stuff. Parse the words and phrases, do a lot of googling, take extensive notes in a good full-text searchable tool that suits your learning / thinking style.

Ask good questions occasionally when you're stuck. Maybe starting new threads on important topics that will also benefit others, e.g. "What are some good 'DC Electrics 101' books and online resources for noobs?"

Post strongly worded opinions that may be wrong, if the gurus don't correct you got it right, if they do you learn & profit!

Keep at it, not rocket science, when there's a will there's a way.

Or if you find it boring, stop and find more interesting ways to spend your time.
(12-04-2017, 11:37 AM)John61CT Wrote: I read the OP request as "for people that don't care about accurate SoC information".

well i meant it as beginners starting from the beginning so i am assuming/thinking/guessing SoC stands for state of charge?
and when anyone is assuming/thinking/guessing it means they are not knowing which is not a good thing

so i am assuming/thinking/guessing

you want a digital voltmeter as near to the battery as possible so when you are kicked back watching tv with a light on and you look over and it says 12.6 you can keep on but if it say 12.3 you need to shut things down?

so get a solar charge controller that has one and if you are just charging via alternator add one?

hydrometer,i will add a pic and instructions on how to and how often to use

water,distilled water filled just to the top of the plates or higher? or that battery acid stuff the auto parts sell?

clean and keep clean your connections

factory setting are not good enough to charge batteries to full,i'll add one of sterns write up on this

as many and as much charging sources you can get,as much solar you can get with an alternator if possible with the goal of getting to proper float asap? 

any other basics to add?

see on the mechanical side i cant tell you how many time people have told me their shocks and suspension must be bad and will cost $xxxx and i went out and their tires were at 15,25,35,20 lb's and that all it was

that the starter is bad and will cost $xxx and i went out and clean the connections and guess what..

i bought a little 4x4 for $300 because there was a fatal flaw in the clutch,they just replaced it and it was bad again,get this truck out of here,it would barely move so i drove around the corner and adjusted the non hydraulic manually adjusted clutch in and drove it for years on that clutch 

you see if people are not keeping connections clean,fluid level at non proper levels and are running the batteries flat every night,getting the batteries to the proper float level is a mute point

you got to start from the beginning
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Blacktank for this post:
  • TWIH (12-23-2017)
Heron,
The most expedient way to learn the right way (my opinion-but it'll take a while-lotsa info) is to go over to the Dark Side (CRVL) and search on Sternwake's old posts there about batteries. You'll see why that board's losing him was a bloody shame (their loss, our gain).
Ted
i'm envisioning it

start off with connections,proper types and cleaning them
then to fluid check and refilling
basic quick look monitoring so you dont run them into the death zone

i'll take some pics,steal some pics,steal a couple stern quotes,have something to be reviewed in a day or two
I'd started collecting info on batteries, footnoted with sources. It might help you find stuff for your thread:
http://rvwiki.mousetrap.net/doku.php?id=...le_battery

Also, some battery-related quotes I found useful or interesting:
http://rvwiki.mousetrap.net/doku.php?id=...#batteries
---
frater/jason - FT 2018.  Retired/boondocking 2020.  
159" Promaster, 570w:220Ah, 35gal fresh
twitter | RVwiki
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to frater secessus for this post:
  • Cammalu (12-09-2017), ratfink56 (08-16-2018)
(12-04-2017, 12:54 PM)John61CT Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 12:11 PM)heron Wrote: Damn. I guess I'm going to be one of those who replace batteries periodically. Part of my issue is that I need to see and do what I'm learning, in order to have much of a clue. I dunno what the other part is. Just don't get it, and it really PISSES ME OFF. I'm not used to not getting it. >_<

Read lots of past posts by people you've learned know their stuff. Parse the words and phrases, do a lot of googling,  take extensive notes in a good full-text searchable tool that suits your learning / thinking style.

Ask good questions occasionally when you're stuck. Maybe starting new threads on important topics that will also benefit others, e.g. "What are some good 'DC Electrics 101' books and online resources for noobs?"

Post strongly worded opinions that may be wrong, if the gurus don't correct you got it right,  if they do you learn & profit!

Keep at it,  not rocket science,  when there's a will there's a way.

Or if you find it boring, stop and find more interesting ways to spend your time.

Here's an Australian made video that does a decent job of explaining 12v battery charging - it can be long but just watch what you want:  http://forum.solar-electric.com/discussi...alternator
"Life is short, smile while you still have teeth."
I searched here and over there and cannot find any of the at least a couple of posts that I remember that mention charging a battery fully, then disconnecting all loads, and seeing how far the voltage drops in 24 hours, or some such procedure.

This ties to the vintage wiring thread. 1989 Tioga with two batteries, both with same date sticker, Walmart BCI 24, but not directly cross connected. So one battery got abused, while the other loafed around. After 24 hours with no load and disconnected from each other, one reads 12.65 and the other reads 12.50.
I'm guessing that difference may not be enough to consider replacing anything, yet.

I now have them directly cross connected with 2 gauge cabling, instead of 10AWG and multiple circuit breakers and solenoids.
I have an old flooded battery which will pass the fully charged 24 hour rested voltage test with flying colors, yet it would fail miserably, if I were to try to perform a 20 hour capacity test on it. I bet it would struggle to provide 80 of its original rating of 130AH, and drawing it to 10.5v could be the straw which breaks its back.

Yet it will show 12.91v 24 hours after it last saw any charging. That is wil low electrolyte. If recently refilled that is 12.65.

Lots of variables, nothing written in stone. Observe and compare and the more tools to do so the more vaild tfuture comaprisons will be, on that specific lead acid battery
Has anyone tried this stuff or similar products for old batteries???

https://www.batterystuff.com/battery-res...gIyz_D_BwE

Just asking as I have no knowledge or experience with it.
  [Image: 414097000.jpg]
Or something like this???  I'm guessing this is something to put your batteries in equalization without having to buy a charger with that option.  Dunno...

https://www.infinitumstore.com/
  [Image: 414097000.jpg]