Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fermenting foods on the road
But.................
Isn't fermented another word for rotten ?
stay tuned 
popeye

Weirdo Overlord : FMS Fleet Ops , Awards , Badges ,  aka Tamerlane the Impaler Mod.
Modern life is much too sterile, very important to cultivate a complex microbiome.

There's a whole movement for years now of DIY fecal transplants, traditional Western "scientific" medicine is just way too bureaucratic and slow.

Avoid antibiotics like the plague.
(12-03-2017, 10:41 AM)waldenbound Wrote:
(12-02-2017, 11:05 PM)Gunny Wrote: Save some of the watermelon rind for me.......Please

Rob

I never had pickled watermelon rind, but I'm sure willing to throw some in the crock. 

Oh, and pickled okra, and pickled asparagus, and pickled little Brussel's sprouts, wonder if those would work?

My kids and I call pickled okra cowboy pickles because you bite the end off where it connected to the plant and set it down.  It looks like a little cowboy hat.  For the watermelon rind, scrape all the pink off the inside surface, slice it up like big thick french fries and then peel the dark green off the outside surface with a potato peeler.  Pop em in the juice for as long as you want them to pickle.  mmmm mmmm mmmmmmm
  [Image: 414097000.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Motrukdriver for this post:
  • Gunny (12-03-2017), waldenbound (12-04-2017)
(12-03-2017, 11:55 AM)rvpopeye Wrote: But.................
Isn't fermented another word for rotten ?

Way different. Fermentation is microbes feasting on sugars, the salt in brining liquid retards spoilage. Rotten is bad bacteria overtakes everything. 
The battle between good and bad bacteria, one keeps you healthy, one kills you dead.
One Stinkin Badge!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to waldenbound for this post:
  • Justacarsofar (01-17-2018)
(12-03-2017, 02:18 PM)John61CT Wrote: Avoid antibiotics like the plague.
Antibiotics are very hard to avoid especially when we eat meat and poultry that isn't grain fed, plus all milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream, butter and milk products have residue antibiotics in them.
Ok, I got some Napa cabbage, carrots, red onion, and sliced ginger in the crock. I'll let you know what happens.
One Stinkin Badge!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to waldenbound for this post:
  • frater secessus (12-06-2017)
(12-04-2017, 12:38 PM)waldenbound Wrote: Ok, I got some Napa cabbage, carrots, red onion, and sliced ginger in the crock. I'll let you know what happens.

How did it turn out? I'm currently gobbling up some carrots, broccoli stems, red onions and radishes - delish! I am also drinking up some fermented persimmon soda and tepache. Got some pineapple vinegar brewing and some kombucha. Also have a tiny batch of kimchi fermenting that was just from re-filling the jar with what I had on hand.

I am also on a fermentation kick for the same reasons as you. I spent years on antibiotics and am trying to undo the damage.

Looking forward to more posts on this topic! Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MyChiAndMe for this post:
Just stumbled on this that may be of interest: Tara Whitsitt has a projact called "Fermentation on Wheels" where she drives around in a school bus/fermentation lab to educate people on the processes.

Her website here: http://www.fermentationonwheels.com/

And a video about her: 
YARC : Drunk in the Mud/Keeper of the Dingy/Ears [Image: L3000.gif]/Potluck Contributions Restricted
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Putts for this post:
I adore Lacto-pickled sugar pod peas.
super easy...
augmet gut flora and eat a serving of healthy veggies in one go!

really yummy on sandwiches!

'course I've made my own yogurt, and cottage cheese, and wine and such for years...
My body is a temple- Ancient and crumbling,  
probably cursed 

Dog Bender with 4.2 Stinkin' Badges 
Ok, I just gave my Ball jars to Goodwill. There's an ewww factor I can't get over yet. Can't "stomach", pun intended, the idea of actually eating what I've fermented.

I have some lemons fermenting on the counter now, they've been there a month. Don't know what to do with them.
One Stinkin Badge!