Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For the record
one of the first things i did after making the forum was to email Bob tell him what i have done and invite him to come over and check it out

he replied that he wished us the best of luck

so there is no negativity or hostility between the sites and i would like to keep it that way
Change the forum theme-bottom right
yarc stickers
yarc stickers pirate edition
[-] The following 11 users say Thank You to Gary for this post:
  • Ballenxj (09-18-2017), AbuelaLoca (09-18-2017), Blanch (09-18-2017), Gunny (09-18-2017), Queen (09-19-2017), OutdoorFT (09-19-2017), frater secessus (09-20-2017), Texjbird (09-24-2017), Wabbit (10-09-2017), heron (10-26-2017), Heidi Mull (11-16-2017)
(09-18-2017, 11:45 AM)Gary Wrote: so there is no negativity or hostility between the sites and i would like to keep it that way.
That's the best way to keep it. Don't know if I can get that troupe of Kamikaze clowns to abort their mission though. Angel
 The Captain and Crew Finally got their stuff together. 
 Now if they can only remember where they put it.   Rolleyes
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Ballenxj for this post:
  • Gunny (09-19-2017)
I did that exact same thing when I opened my own cabinet shop. Told my boss what I did and said I hope it doesn't change things between us, it did temporarily and it the end we both benefited. I came across jobs too large for me to handle and he came across ones too small for him. I stopped working for him about 12 years ago and we still talk a few times a month just to chat.

Another boss once told me that competition is the best thing for a business, no one company can take all the jobs available and the more people that do it, the more aware the public is that a service exists, more people that know a service exists, the more that can benefit from it. So in regards to this new forum.....people will find it that wouldn't have found Bob's. Which means more people can find out about this lifestyle. Still talk to this old boss once every few months give or take too, just to keep in touch.

Always best to take the high road, says a lot about one's character.
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to Everyroadleadshome for this post:
  • Gunny (09-18-2017), Snikwahjm (09-18-2017), Scott7022 (09-19-2017), Heidi Mull (11-16-2017)
No point in getting into drama when one does''t have to. They have a site they all like and we have a site we all like. I am not them and they are not I. No need to convert people to your view of the world. Differences make the world rotate.
Beast Master,JunkyMonkey,Drinks with Wolves,Fup'd Duck,Sheriff Ricochet Cockroach 4B's 1 cluster,3 TFMS Tempory Weirdo Overlord replacement 
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Scott7022 for this post:
  • Gunny (09-19-2017), Texjbird (10-09-2017)
Excellent to hear, Gary.

I've been a part of a few breakaway forums in the past, the ones that head down the "we exist solely because they suck" were always the first to fail. The one that has survived did so by being a place for old time regulars to have a smaller quieter place to chat, away from the massive motherboard.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Queen for this post:
  • Everyroadleadshome (09-19-2017), GypsyDogs (01-10-2018)
What it really boils down to is that the "other" site exists to produce an income stream for the owner. It has a number of functions, and the forums is but one. AND the true function of that is essentially advertising for the other sections of the site that earn him click-through dollars each month from the advertising. It's important to him that his forum users stay on the straight and narrow, and that he attracts as many new folks as he can get who will click-through often on the other parts of his site. His youtube channel exists for the same reason, and he needs to ride herd on those properties pretty tightly because they're his "brand," and his income depends on them. I remember a tirade about how other groups had better not be using "RTR" as the name of their gatherings, because that was HIS gathering. He holds the rest of his intellectual property just as tightly, again because its his income stream, and he's found a formula for income that works for him. Unique visitors who do click-throughs... often and frequently... are his bread-and-butter. He can't afford to have folks who have strong opinions and stick to their guns frightening off the more timid folks who are paying his way.

And that's ok... but it leads to a different kind of atmosphere than what the folks who've signed up here so far are looking for as a "Cheers" bar kind of place to stop in every so often... get some new insights... shoot the breeze... and enjoy the company in a place where "everybody knows their name." THAT is the kind of place that I think Gary had in mind, and that we're trying to accommodate. It'll be good if Gary can make enough income eventually to pay the expenses for the webhosting and other costs... but I don't think he's doing this for income, per se. And THAT alone makes a big difference on the "feel" of the place. I don't see this as ever having the size of membership or the revolving door as the "other" site. I hope it'll remain a place where folks can come and hang out and talk about 'stuff' in a friendly, laid-back, and relaxed atmosphere. I hope it'll at least pay for its own expenses for Gary too.

All that said, there is room here for EVERY opinion... and if we want to be able to express ours, we have to be tolerant enough to let everyone else express THEIRS without fear of retribution, hazing, stalking, or nastiness. Just because you and I may hold diametrically opposed opinions on an issue, that doesn't mean we can't be friends too. In other words, "Don't be a jerk." If everyone who decides to become a member here subscribes to that, this is going to be one of the coolest places on the web!
1995 Coachmen B19 rear dinette, E250 chassis, 351W & E4OD trans
2006 Born Free 32RQ on a Kodiak chassis, 8.1L V8 & Allison 5spd trans
2016 Jeep JKU 6spd stick
[-] The following 6 users say Thank You to Hepcat for this post:
  • Gunny (09-19-2017), OutdoorFT (09-19-2017), Putts (09-19-2017), Scott7022 (09-19-2017), Snikwahjm (09-19-2017), Texjbird (10-09-2017)
(09-19-2017, 05:23 AM)Queen Wrote: Excellent to hear, Gary.

I've been a part of a few breakaway forums in the past, the ones that head down the "we exist solely because they suck" were always the first to fail.  The one that has survived did so by being a place for old time regulars to have a smaller quieter place to chat, away from the massive motherboard.

Yup...I wrote a post in one of Garys thread.!
Bob Wells and I had a few differences but I do respect many of his ideals. Not all, but many. I'm sure he appreciated the 'heads up' about your new endeavor.

Rob
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gunny for this post:
  • Scott7022 (09-19-2017)
I'm going to politely disagree with Hepcat.

I don't think Bob is doing this for the money.  He strikes me as more of a Man On A Mission. 

He genuinely thinks that everyone would be happier if everyone abandoned the conventional rat race and embraced the nomadic lifestyle.

Personally, I think that's silly.  If the vast majority of people stopped living lives of "quiet desperation", there would be no one to make vehicles, refine petroleum, and grow food, and we'd all be reduced to wandering around, on foot, as hunter-gathers.  So I depend on them to continue doing what they are doing to support my own comfortable lifestyle.  They most definitely should NOT all start living in vans down by the river.
Regards

John

I don't like to make advance plans.  It causes the word PREMEDITATED get thrown around in the courtroom!
I'm NOT crazy!  My mother had me tested! Cool
[-] The following 8 users say Thank You to Optimistic Paranoid for this post:
  • Scott7022 (09-19-2017), Queen (09-19-2017), AbuelaLoca (09-19-2017), Hepcat (09-19-2017), Snikwahjm (09-19-2017), frater secessus (09-20-2017), Nissi (10-06-2017), Heidi Mull (11-16-2017)
(09-19-2017, 10:24 AM)Optimistic Paranoid Wrote: He strikes me as more of a Man On A Mission. 

+1

His problem is he has succeeded. A LOT of people have been helped by Bob. I feel his heart is in the right place, and he deserves what he can earn from his work. Problem is he's too much of a sweet heart to comfortably hang on to the tail of the dragon he created. I'm sure it's difficult for him, and that difficulty shows up in how the forum gets managed, but that's the nature of any mid-sized forum that's growing. Seems like there was about five "Newcomers" thread starts a day over there. That's a lot of n00bs to absorb. I wish him well.
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to Putts for this post:
  • Queen (09-19-2017), Snikwahjm (09-19-2017), frater secessus (09-20-2017), heron (10-26-2017)