Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Building a chemically safe van
Hopefully that stuff^ isn't an allergy problem by itself.
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC
13 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 5 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards!
1 of which is a limited edition Turkey Poop Spreader (What a "Stinkin' " honor !) + ROOIRIA

I don’t need a whole bolt of that fabric and it looks like you have to buy it by the bolt.

I like how that contractor paper turned out on the one ceiling panel we did. We haven’t done the rest yet. We want to get the solar in first. I think I can use the contractor paper and maybe fancy it up a bit. I have more experimenting to do after the dust settles around here. I think brown paper or the contractor paper could be painted or stenciled maybe to mock a tin ceiling. I could do some other faux painting techniques. As it is it looks sort of like leather. I want to experiment with some string dipped in paint and see what it will do when I lay it on there. I pretty much give up on the map idea. I’ve seen it in a lot of pics. It just seems too busy to me. I’m thinking you can buy rolls of brown kraft paper at a dollar store. It is thinner and possibly stronger than the contractor’s paper. The contractor paper matches our pink van interior pretty nicely. As far as cost goes the contractor’s paper is very cheap and I don’t know how many rolls of Kraft paper it would take to do the job. We should have paper left when we are done. Contractor paper comes in brown, too. I suppose a person could try collecting brown bags if they can find any. It might be fun to see what logos can be found when traveling.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Snikwahjm for this post:
  • AbuelaLoca (12-08-2017)
The fabric is made of 100% nylon fabric with polyester foam core and nylon tricot backing.

The glue is non-toxic.  MSDS: "2. Composition, Information on Ingredients --  No hazardous ingredients known to company."   http://sds.staples.com/msds/112623.pdf

You don't have to buy a whole bolt.  It says right below the little box:  
"Minimum order is 3 yards."  
3 yards = 9 feet long ............60" wide x 9 ft long = 45 sq ft, which is the same as a square of fabric 6'7" x 6'7".  Use the extra to cover the windows.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to TrainChaser for this post:
  • AbuelaLoca (12-08-2017)
For us that foam-backed fabric is not useful--between the fabric and the foam, too likely to outgas something. And I am not impressed with how long that fabric holds up, especially on a ceiling where gravity works against it. Back in college days I worked for a company with one client in the exhibit-building business, so I remember a bit about what they did (Velcro wasn't around that far back, though!) But most of their stuff was not intended for long-term use. We hope to be using this van for several years at least--the old rusty one (an '87) we have had for more than 6 years now. It's been my work truck and daily driver for most of that time, as well as our travel and camping vehicle.
The foam is about 1/16" thick, if that makes any difference. And it tends to be the adhesive that gives up first, rather than the fabric, although direct sunlight will rot it, as it does so many other things.
Likely from the van sitting in the sun, the fabric in our van foam was powder and the adhesive was not holding the powder so we pulled off the sagging fabric covering and scraped the loose foam bits. Right now there is just bare plywood. It will be getting some paper glued on - the paper matches the van interior quite well. Waiting to do some wiring and solar before we do more with paper. The paper panel we did looks good. We used glue to hold it on and varnish to seal it. The panel we did was removed and a very easy job. We will see how it goes when we travel and cook below that panel. If that paper comes down in my oatmeal it will likely get some other treatment. For now we like what paper we have and it was darn near free.
Free is the best kind of building material !
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC
13 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 5 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards!
1 of which is a limited edition Turkey Poop Spreader (What a "Stinkin' " honor !) + ROOIRIA

Popeye, it fits any budget. I priced the contractor paper at a store and it was $15 for a huge roll. Ours was free since my BIL gave it to us and Mr. Sniky stuck it in the garage for a few years? I saw some other paper for $5 for a short roll. It might pay to shop around. Sort of free - you could paste fast food bags up there - YARC endorsed, I’m sure just paste one up every time you get one... they might even throw in an extra bag if you don’t like grease...