Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Building a chemically safe van
have chemical sensitivities. I’ve recovered from some chemical poisoning but I try to be careful not to gas myself. To avoid more chemical  poisoning I am very concerned how we will be outfitting our van since usually sensitivities are caused by some kind of indoor air pollution. We chose a van from 1991. It was stored in a garage when it wasn’t traveling. It should be out gassed but now there is the beginnings of deterioration from sun resulting in dust. We have had some discussions what we can do with the ceiling. It is some kind of foam lined fuzz and slightly drooping. It may have some hard board under it. I don’t know it it is glued on or how it is attached but there is a baggy saggy layer drooping down.  I think it needs to come out and be replaced with what? We would never match that mauve fabric... There is carpet on the floor. Hard wood or ceramic won’t out gas as much as carpet but in a van?  Vinyl plank would be cheap and outgas less than sheet vinyl and carpet padding.  On a hot sunny day I’m sure there will be outgassing and it is a small closed space. We don’t know if there is plywood or strand board under the carpet and carpet padding that can also deteriorate and turn to toxic dust powder. The foam seats on our old van turned to powder. How long will that take in the sun? Seat covers? Would they slow down the deterioration? The curtains and side walls are made out of fuzzy stuff and could turn to dust in the sun. The van is practically a time capsule other than the sagging ceiling. It is kind of killing me to think about yanking stuff out. it is a very nice well cared for van and should serve us well but we did get it to use as we see fit. 
My pictures are too big to post. 
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Snikwahjm for this post:
  • Cammalu (11-11-2017), Justacarsofar (11-12-2017)
Go to picload.org and upload pics there. You'll get a link to put them in your posts for each pic.

As for the time capsule... your health is more important! Gut it and use the materials you know will keep you safe!!
viajes seguros
Once the headliner starts sagging there really isn't much you can do other than replace it.  There are videos on youtube for how to stuff.  Basically you take the headliner pan out and scrap it.  Some are cardboard and some are fiberglass.  Then rough cut the material to just fit the pan, spray a headliner adhesive on it and then smooth the material out to eliminate bubbles.  Cut out material for all the holes you need for the various mountings and then put it back in the way it came out.  It isn't a difficult job and a van headliner might be a day's worth of work depending on how long it takes to scrape the old stuff off.   Also, get window shades to eliminate the direct sunlight on your front seats.
The headliner in my 96 Ranger needs replaced but the seats are still like new other than a small rip.  It is a work truck too.  I always kept front and side window shades in it when I was parked at the truck stop waiting for me to come home.  Here are some materials you can use for headliners and hopefully they might match your existing interior color.  Australian ebay but it is available in the US and Canada too with a quick search.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/0-8MM-AUTOMO...1187105826
MORATTA LESSRATTA  OFFICIAL YARC

The concern is for chemical safety. 1) spray glue. Someone has to apply it. It will gas. 2) foam backed material will out gas initially and will deteriorate the second time around. I think I want to choose some other kind of stuff but what? Decoupage some maps? What other types of fabrics can be used? Something with out foam and can hold up to heat?
The seats look and feel new. Will do shades. UV can do serious damage to car seats.
You'll want to insulate the ceiling if you're going to rip out the lining. Not sure if you can use the foam board, but if so, you could decorate it before you put it up there... I'm sure there's an adhesive in the 3M products that should take the chemical sensitivity in to consideration!
viajes seguros
I’m thinking... take down what ever is up there, clean it off, decorate it with something* and put it back up. Maybe sew it on to the hardboard or use upholstery buttons? Paper fasteners? Thumb tacks? It may or may not have any insulation up there. There is an overhead cabinet in the back I bang my head on that - it needs to vanish and plug its holes. There are lights that need to be replaced with LEDs.

The other solution would be to amputate the roof (or is it decapitate) and put in a high top...

*something? Hippy flower drapery fabric? Upholstery fabric? Does it need the foam to hold it up or is the foam supposed to insulate? Back to keeping safe and avoiding foam. I’ve not messed with car or van interiors ever.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Snikwahjm for this post:
  • AbuelaLoca (11-12-2017)
I'm covering everything in material for my van... gypsy style... my sis made curtains out of colorful materials... almost different for every window, including a Chiefs one because that's my team!! I'm using colorful sheer curtain panels, paisley scarves, quilts... and the furniture will be steampunked! If I can just GET TO THAT POINT, all my dreams will come true LOL

Foam is for insulation
viajes seguros
I have enough fabric laying around to do something pre-tty groovy. I’d love to put in some of that plastic ceiling tile that looks like tin but I don’t know what it would do to me or how it would hold up... not cheap either.

Doing the actual ceiling fabric replacement might actually be fairly easy. There are panels with oak boards between. I think I can just pull the boards off see what is next... ?

Stick the toe in the water and wade in...
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Snikwahjm for this post:
  • AbuelaLoca (11-12-2017), Heidi Mull (11-12-2017)
I was looking in to those for a back splash for my stove area!!
viajes seguros
I have them at my house above the sink. Love it. It took one 2x4 (feet) panel. The ceiling would take too many and they just aren’t the right size.

I looked into some rolled up shiny stuff and the cost - might as well go for a high top....
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Snikwahjm for this post:
  • AbuelaLoca (11-12-2017)