Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Genealogy
Unfortunately as a kid I paid little attention to the grown-ups during the occasional family gathering.  I probably wouldn't have remembered a 10th of what was talked about even if I did. So here I am, retired with an abundance of free time and I'm obsessed with family genealogy and very little leads to follow-up on.

I've spent the past two winters researching and have some spotty details but it's frustrating connecting the dots. I'm pretty sure my paternal GG grandmother had an immaculate conception.... donno .. still look'in.  Confused
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Matlock for this post:
  • AbuelaLoca (11-07-2017), Justacarsofar (11-07-2017)
(11-06-2017, 04:37 PM)Motrukdriver Wrote: I saw a documentary about the Irish.  One thing that struck me was it said there are more Irish in America than in Ireland.  That is a lot of movement by a population and I was thinking maybe, maybe not...  Then it struck me.  My grandmother's maiden name is Sullivan to there's that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Famine_(Ireland) they didnt have much choice
Change the forum theme-bottom right
yarc stickers
yarc stickers pirate edition
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gary for this post:
  • AbuelaLoca (11-07-2017)
mine is well documented,just on my dads side in this country the extended tree is huge,every western european country 2-3x and a couple indians,moms side mostly english occupational names

the surname being scottish border=gaelic,norman,viking and the possibility of something roman
add the legend of princess scota and i am related to everyone
yarc stickers
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gary for this post:
  • AbuelaLoca (11-07-2017)
Well, since we're on the subject of genealogy and it is also my hobby and passion, I'll gladly do lookups on ancestry.com for anyone who would like me to! If you want to ask here, fine, or you can shoot me a PM, but either way I'll have to ask some intrusive personal questions about dates and places and names and such! :-)
viajes seguros
I'm 3rd generation born here, paternal side. great grandpa came from Europe on some ship laden with poor immigrants and was traveling with an unidentified woman who died on the voyage! He was about 12 yrs old and was adopted by a family with the same nationality~ here in MN.

I don't know what year that was but I look at the immigrant photos around that time. It's pretty sad!  Sad

I'm guessing most of them were escaping both poverty and religious persecution. I dunno... it's lost history.
title~ "Deliberate Discharge" 3 "Stinkin Badges" 1 "Flying manure spreader" 1 "Pink Elephant"  Tongue
It is a fascinating subject. My old man is a Swede,, my grandfather emigrating with Family to Nj after WW2. His brother doing research got back as far as the 1400s when some French blood was injected.

Mom's side, is pretty well unknown to me. She claims that both of her grandparents were Russian. Her side of the family forced me to go to the Russian orthodox church when I was quite young, which soured me on religion.

Was kind of weird growing up with accented blueblood Swedes on one side, and religious Nutjob Russian descendents on the other. That one X mas where both families were in one spot, well I hear some funny stories. i was too young to remember it, but it was described to me as hatfield and mccoy meets Downton abbey.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to sternwake for this post:
  • Justacarsofar (11-07-2017), AbuelaLoca (11-08-2017)
Just for the information, for those people with English/Scots origins, the British Isles conducted a census every ten years.  It was done on a single day and census takers visited every house and recorded those people in the house on that day along with birth dates and occupations and their relation to one another. The censuses are available on Ancestry.com, searchable by birthdate, so if you know a single ancestor's birthdate, you can begin your search there.  That's how I started my search. I found a picture of my G Granfather's grave and enlarged it enough to read the dates. From that single date I discovered hundreds of ancestors. It took more than a year of daily research, but sooner or later you'll get it together.  Plus, there are many websites and forums, some dealing with only your surname. Just by posting the names and dates you Do know, it's amazing the responses you get.

You see, VivoEnMiFurgoneta, my G Grandmother was a Bell. We might be related.

[Image: UaIwqf2.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to IanC for this post:
  • Justacarsofar (11-07-2017), AbuelaLoca (11-08-2017)
here's a good site to look up military records https://www.fold3.com/ pay site but has free trial

they have my revolutionary war ancestors widows  handwritten petition for pension with letters from his commanding officers documenting his service
yarc stickers
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Gary for this post:
  • Justacarsofar (11-08-2017), AbuelaLoca (11-08-2017)
http://www.findmypast.com has free military records today only (just saw this so sorry so late in the day)
viajes seguros
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to AbuelaLoca for this post:
  • Justacarsofar (11-08-2017)
(11-08-2017, 03:52 PM)VivoEnMiFurgoneta Wrote: http://www.findmypast.com has free military records today only (just saw this so sorry so late in the day)

it says free records Nov 8 - 12 !!

hey, I just found my POPPa there!!
title~ "Deliberate Discharge" 3 "Stinkin Badges" 1 "Flying manure spreader" 1 "Pink Elephant"  Tongue
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Justacarsofar for this post:
  • AbuelaLoca (11-08-2017)