Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Aid
(10-27-2017, 06:06 PM)Optimistic Paranoid Wrote:
(10-27-2017, 04:44 PM)Everyroadleadshome Wrote: There's not much you can do when bitten by a poisonous snake except get to an ER with antivenom.  Remove jewelry before you swell and keep the area bitten below your heart level if possible.  And try and remember what the snake looked like that bit you.

Rattlesnakes, Copperheads, and Water Moccasins are all pit vipers, and the same anti-venom is used for all of them.  The only other poisonous snake in North America is the Coral Snake, which is only in southern Florida, and bites by them are extremely rare, so much so that the only supplier of anti-venom for them shut down due to a lack of sales.

We're lucky.  Australia has over 50 varieties of poisonous snakes, and the deadliest North American snake wouldn't even make it into their top twenty.  With a couple of the Aussie snakes, you're dead within seconds of being bitten.

Hence why Australia is the only Continant and country I have never been to. Vipers are nasty but more often the bite is a dry bite. Always assume the bite is dry and always treat like it is not. Keeps the stress and heartrate down. 

Snake and speed. They can move faster than you can scared. They will run you down if they want to. 

Coral snake (red touching yellow kills a fellow) King Snake (red touching black posion lack) both are very docial snakes and rarely bite unless really threatened. Picked one up once and then realilzed it wasn't a King snake. Put it down gently and let it go start a #metoo campain for molesting it. 

Odd that most of the world reads this # symbol as the pound sign. Caused some funny translations today with the locals. They were confused as to the message. 

Crates and Adders are here and they are the same color as the sand. Little creatures are curious and so we had to have the talk as they are very poisionious and little ones have too much monkey arms and not enough size to likely survive. Antivenom is in the fridge. 

Back to work.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Scott7022 for this post:
  • American Nomad Patriot (05-15-2018)
I don't worry so much about the snakes in Australia but those frikkin magpies are a constant threat especially in swooping season. Last time we were there one bashed me on the head and left a swollen lump. They've been known to take out an eye. Never did see a snake and we were there for 5 months up in Queensland.
  [Image: 414097000.jpg]
(10-27-2017, 11:13 AM)waldenbound Wrote: feminine items-yes MEN and women should carry these, they are great for putting on a gash to stop bleeding. In an outdoor environment it's hard to find absorbent materials, especially in a desert where everything is prickly.  
They're not sterile, but after all, it's an emergency.
I disagree with the femine products. I have been practicing and studying survival items, techniques, gear for several years. I have learned that the tampon for something like a gunshot or stab wound etc is not a good option. Cloth or any sort would be a better option. 

I suggest the one thing that has multiple uses and has been used for a century if you venture out....Bandana. I advise anyone that wants to put a first aid kit together or buy one that they get one of the ones for survivalists. They will come in great canvas bags etc that you can attach to a belt, pack, etc. They are also compact. Always carry a sharp knife.
#NomadLivesMatter  
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to American Nomad Patriot for this post:
  • Everyroadleadshome (05-15-2018)
(05-12-2018, 05:32 PM)American Nomad Patriot Wrote:
(10-27-2017, 11:13 AM)waldenbound Wrote: feminine items-yes MEN and women should carry these, they are great for putting on a gash to stop bleeding. In an outdoor environment it's hard to find absorbent materials, especially in a desert where everything is prickly.  
They're not sterile, but after all, it's an emergency.
I disagree with the femine products. I have been practicing and studying survival items, techniques, gear for several years. I have learned that the tampon for something like a gunshot or stab wound etc is not a good option. Cloth or any sort would be a better option. 

I suggest the one thing that has multiple uses and has been used for a century if you venture out....Bandana. I advise anyone that wants to put a first aid kit together or buy one that they get one of the ones for survivalists. They will come in great canvas bags etc that you can attach to a belt, pack, etc. They are also compact. Always carry a sharp knife.
I think you are coming at this from a modern/old fashion definition. As far as Femine products go Tampons are kinda new. Well if you old like me and can remember the bulky belts and pads worn by girlfriends. Tampons inserted are desgined to swell to fit the void they find themselves in. So this would not be good in a gunshot situation as the swelling would cause more damage to the surrounding tissue as would yanking it out. The Pad/Liner style is very usefull as the added sticky bit on the back helps to keep the dressing secured to the bandage over the wound and the products with wings and wicking design help move blood, and bacteria, away from the wound site. Easily sterile and handy to pack as they are made to be discrete as for some reason we need to hide this monthly phenon from delicate sensibilities. RUBISH

Always carry a sharp nice is great advice. Carrying a small survivalist pack is a good idea as well. Bigger units in the rig for yourself and others.
Scott, you are spot on. When I was a firefighter/medic dealing with ridiculous budget cuts, we couldn't get enough med kit refill supplies, so I brought in tampax pads to use as replacement ABD pads, they worked great.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Queen for this post:
(05-14-2018, 06:45 AM)Queen Wrote: Scott, you are spot on. When I was a firefighter/medic dealing with ridiculous budget cuts, we couldn't get enough med kit refill supplies, so I brought in tampax pads to use as replacement ABD pads, they worked great.

So I am spotting  Tongue Tongue Smile Scotty. LOL! Sorry I just don't understand the emotive crap that surrounds this whole normal monthly occurance and the need to issue a D Notice or an Eyes Only classification to the whole matter. Ironic that male Hunters can be shoulders deep gutting and skinning a dear, covered in gore and crack a beer and enjoy a cigar. Then this topic/idea/or incident takes place and they get all squemish like children. 

My Mom told me to keep several of these "bandages" in my car when I was 16/17 and it was nice to be the Knight in shinning armour at several parties and outback picnics. I grew up in the 70's and 80's when tight white pants were in and not just with Russians. 
"I think my sister left some stuff in m glove compartment."  That was all that needed to be said to save the day.

My Mother was the greatest wingman ever!!
I totally agree about the pads. What all Scott and Queen have said about the monthly. My original reply was concerning the tampon.Being as my mother was in the medical field (humans and animals) plus having two girls as roommates I always kept a plentiful supply of feminine products, and condoms etc in my house and vehicles. Probably also why I never got any woman pregnant. LOL
#NomadLivesMatter