Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I’m not really a big fan of tuna
Always loved a good tuna salad, on a Kaiser roll, with provlone. and a nice red tomato.

But I hate Mayo with the white hot passion of a thousand suns. I can tolerate it in tuna, as long as there is not too much. IF I am making it myself I substitute avocado for mayo, or go without it. Diced hard boiled egg is another good tuna salad bulker, along with the celery.

One time In Costa Rica My travelling companions and I drove into a surfbreak normally unaccessible in the rainy season. The rainy season was overdue, but started once we got there. Several days later we hiked out as there was no driving out, and returned with many many cans of tuna, and bottles of Guaro. My buddy was the spice king, each can of tuna got a layer of onion salt and another layer of garlic salt, before ti was eaten straight from the can. I lost a lot of weigt that trip anfcould not touch a can of tuna for a while.

I do not get too much tuna these days, and when i do it is usually mixed into pasta.

I wasa hot sauce Junkie, but they have too much sodium and preservatives and other nasty crap in them. Lately I have been buying lots of peppers, yellow, serrano, jalapeno, anaheim, Pasilla, habanero, basically any pepper the store has, besides the regular red green yellow peppers for the lamoes who cannot handle a bit of spice. I boil some salty water, mix in the whole grain pasta, and when that is 4/5's cooked I add the diced peppers and some sliced onion to the water and let it boil for a minute oe 3 longer or so. Once drained I add olive oil and a diced tomato and can of solid whita albacore tuna, and stir it up nicely, and add minimal salt. Trader Jose sells the grated parmesean for $ 2.89 and it is way better than the kraft parmesean for 2x the price.

I saw someone here write that once pasta is put into boiling water, there is no need to keep the water boiling, and found this true, and did not seem to take much if any longer. I would take the pasta off, cover it, then fry up the pepper medley with onions in my small cast iron skillet, as I only bother with a single burner stove. Unless I am caramellizing the onions, then simply putting the diced peppers/onions into the boiling water a minute or 3 before draining the water is just as good and a lot less work. Perhaps healthier with less olive oil used.

This meal works well without the tuna too, and I will sometimes add julienned carrots or mix up the shape/size of the diced peppers or just how many of each pepper I use. Anyway it's a pretty healthy one bowl wonder that I have not yet grown sick of.

I've not used any hot sauce since I decided to go the straight pepper route, and it never comes out hotter than it goes in, and my stomach has no issues with it. Got to be way healthier than the huge amounts of sodium, preservatives, and, xanthan gum and other crap they add to make hotSauce marketable and max profitable.

Been shedding a few Lbs with Peppers bulking up the pasta, compared to using hot sauce alone with parmesean cheese as the flavorings.

Just have to be careful to not touch my eyes or face, or my Dogs, after dicing the spicy peppers, the habaneros are basically weapons, and where most of the heat comes from but sometimes jalapenos have some kick. Serranos are also hit and miss in the heat department but are among the more flarorful. Anaheim Pasilla and Yellow peppers have some kick but not too much. Someimte anaheim are no spicier than regular green bell peppers, but usually have twice the flavor.

My Sheepdog seems immune to spicy things and loves this pasta mixed in with her Kibble, and she inhales few meals faster or with more gusto, and it does not make her Poo too hard to pick up, as some human foods do when mixed in with her kibble.

I know raw onions fed to dogs is a NoNo, but cooked is no issue, for my Dog anyway, and I slice them thin enough that a minute or 3 in boiling water is cooked enough.
Off topic but more about jalapenos. I have found the difference in "hotness" seems to be how ripe they are. The green ones are mostly mild, when they have some purple coloring, they are hotter and the ones with "veins" are the hottest.
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.   Angel
I like my home made hot sauce without all the chemicals.I've eaten too much tuna in my life. I have so much mercury in me I'm 3 inches taller when I go out in the sun.
I'm enjoying the flavor and fiber bulk and heat of the various peppers I've been adding to most every meal, and not missing the hot sauce at all.

The Jalapenoes I have been getting are not ripening to purple vein status, but they are basically being rinsed, dried, and thrown in my fridge and eaten within a few days, so I am perhaps not giving them that chance.

If i want more heat, I add more Habanero pepper, or leave more seeds from all the peppers.

I occassionally splurge on a 'carne asada chips for 2' or 'super nachos' from one specific Mexican eatery here. They have a picante which is very flavorful, very hot and will make the back of my head sweat and drip down my back which no other picante has ever done. That is the only hot sauce I now apply to any meal and I only do it once every 2 weeks or so.

While i've largely stopped drinking beer, I have lost about 15Lbs since my return from the East Coast, where I was a beer swilling steak eating layabout stick and brick dwelling machine. I started the pepper medley cooking just before leaving there and do attribute some of the recent weight loss to bulking up my meals with the peppers, but more to the fact of immersing myself in the Pacific regularly, and not swilling cheap American beer like its my job.