Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1998 Safari......need some input/advice
The headliner on my Safari is slowly coming loose right at the upper edge of the windshield.    It's not really sagging , it's just loose,  more now than 1yr ago when I got it.    I don't think spray adhesice is the answer here.   Any suggestions?

Since I have the Aliner and do not want to set it up for just 1 night stays.  I'm thinking of setting up the van as mainly a small bedroom.  With extra storage  and basic things like a p bucket.  Also some canned food stuffs, water and Q food.   It is actully more secure when locked than the  trailer is.  I have to come up with a way to make the door on the trailer more secure when locked from the inside.  If someone should break in when I'm away I will really be P.O.    If it happens when I'm home one of us will get hurt,  maybe even both of us.  I worry about this with good reasons to.
  Does anyone have any ideas about the doors?  It has 2 sections with a latch to hold them together.

Jewellann
  I DON'T GO CRAZY
Tongue      I AM CRAZY          
   I JUST GO NORMAL FROM TIME TO TIME
I used some pins I found at the auto supply place to repair headliners, but I am going to take my beat up old GMC to one of the small, independent body shops and let them fix it right.

Rob
Once More Unto The Breach, Dear Friends, Once More.
Thanks Gunny,  I didn't know there was such a thing.  At the upper edge of the windshield is the only problem and this section of the headliner stops just behind the front seats.  

At least I've learned to duck [most of the time] going from the cargo area to the cab or out the side door.  That's where the ceiling  lowers,  really the high center of the roof is right down the middle of the van. Tonight I learned that it's easier to climb into the van over 2x3s and pieces of plywood than it is to step back down to the ground backwards over them holding on to the grab handle by the door.  I would think that at my age I'd stop doing stoopid things.  

Wink One of these years.

Jewellann
  I DON'T GO CRAZY
Tongue      I AM CRAZY          
I bought a pack of thumb tacks.  I made a pattern to keep it interesting.
Compared to parenting, Cat herding is less complicated
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to GotSmart for this post:
  • Justacarsofar (10-12-2017), Texjbird (10-13-2017)
3M makes a headliner specific spray, won't stain or harden the fabric like some other spray adhesives will do. The best way to do it is peel back the headliner to where ever the sag begins and work from there forward, using a piece of stiff cardboard to smooth out any wrinkles as you go.

But pins work in a pinch just as well and fabric pins that twist in are ideal for the job.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q87O00U?psc=1
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Everyroadleadshome for this post:
  • Texjbird (10-13-2017)
Thumbtacks and pins won't work for long. Don't ask how I know......
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Seawolf1090 for this post:
  • Cammalu (10-12-2017), Justacarsofar (10-12-2017)
(10-12-2017, 12:33 PM)Seawolf1090 Wrote: Thumbtacks and pins won't work for long.  Don't ask how I know......

I actually Know!  heh...(owie)  Sad
title~ "Deliberate Discharge" 3 "Stinkin Badges" 1 "Flying manure spreader" 1 "Pink Elephant"  Tongue
Can you post a picture of the doorway (inside view including trim)
stay tuned 
popeye

Weirdo Overlord : FMS Fleet Ops , Awards , Badges ,  aka Tamerlane the Impaler Mod.
(10-12-2017, 05:45 PM)rvpopeye Wrote: Can you post a picture of the doorway (inside view including trim)

The headliner problem is the very edge of it about 1/2 to 1in  across  where it meets  the windshield.  I wish I could post pictures so everyone could see Queenie Smile

Jewellann
  I DON'T GO CRAZY
Tongue      I AM CRAZY          
I meant a picture of the doorway you want to secure.

The headliner adhesive already mentioned is the cure for that . Wink

Do you need help with posting pics?
From your phone ? or........
stay tuned 
popeye

Weirdo Overlord : FMS Fleet Ops , Awards , Badges ,  aka Tamerlane the Impaler Mod.