Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to throttle bandwidth thru phone Hotspot.
I need to throttle a device on my phone Hotspot. It's my TV, I picked up a Hulu subscription but they don't allow you to manually throttle bandwidth. So it streams at highest rate and uses up my 60gb quick. SD is fine for me. Is there a way\app that you might know/recommend? I don't mind paying a one time fee, but the only thing I could find looked to be a monthly subscription, yuck for an app.

Want to limit bandwidth to TV thru my phones Hotspot.
Can you set the TV resolution lower on the TV itself? That would be the simple way.
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.   Angel
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to B and C for this post:
  • Wabbit (05-12-2019)
Nope, not on this model TV. Not a horrible TV, but was sub $150.
exactly which make and model tv? That is the only place I know that you could set the resolution to use less bandwidth. Maybe my googlefu will turn up something if I know what I am working with.
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.   Angel
  • Wabbit (05-12-2019)
It's a Vizio d32h-f0 (2017).

Here's a link to find manual down on page. I can't see anything for streaming resolution.

https://support.vizio.com/s/article/D32h...uage=en_US

Appreciate the time B and C!

Edit: An app for my phone that throttles bandwidth is another option I'm exploring.
OK. It just sunk in that it is Hulu that is sucking your data. You're right, not manual setting for Sd on the Vizio (good choice, my favorite). Hulu has a data saver setting: https://help.hulu.com/s/article/video-qu...uage=en_US

I don't have Hulu, I have Netflix so I can't walk you through to get to the data saver setting.
Brian

[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to B and C for this post:
  • Wabbit (05-11-2019), Kaylee (05-15-2019)
I had another thought. Your vizio appears to have cast ability (I don't use it). You caould cast from your phone to the screen, that way it would be your phone screen resolution.
Brian

• Wabbit (05-11-2019)
You may be able to reduced hotspot throughput directly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdFCO3s8Zhs

Roku devices, if that's what you're using on the tv, have a secret menu to limit bandwidth Resets on reboot, thoughj IIRC

If you are geeky you could insert a QoS-capable router before the hotspot and connect to that. The least expensive ones will be running open source OpenWRT or DD-WRT firmware. This would allow you to restrict bandwidth overall, by MAC (particular device), set priorities, etc. Can also make guest networks for buddies so they can check email or whatever. The little glinet one I have is about $25. Runs off USB power.

tangentially related: the amazon prime video app has a lowest quality setting of 0.15GB/hr, which is pretty good.
---
frater/jason
FT around El Paso:  159" Promaster, 570w
blog | campervan | RVwiki

[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to frater secessus for this post:
  • Wabbit (05-11-2019), Kaylee (05-15-2019)
Prime works well even at the lowest resolution. Easy to do. I use it on my tablet for movies while travelling via a vpn. If you shop Amazon using the prime shipping only is a rip but with music and movies not bad. I also use Netflix. But for my big tv here for English programming. Set to 4K as my internet is 178 Mbps down and 233 up!!! 20 bucks a month unlimited fibre optic connection. God I love totalitarian oppression.
Beast Master,JunkyMonkey,Drinks with Wolves,Fup'd Duck,Sheriff Ricochet Cockroach 4B's 1 cluster,3 TFMS Tempory Weirdo Overlord replacement 
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to Scott7022 for this post:
  • rvpopeye (05-12-2019), Wabbit (05-12-2019), B and C (05-12-2019), Kaylee (05-15-2019)
I only wish, about 70 down and 5 up. Makes my server here for remote access really slow.
Brian

• Scott7022 (05-13-2019)