Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ongoing van hunt saga. Suggestions?
Hi everyone. I have been looking for a van. I don't have much money. I found a 1989 xplorer for $2000... and I like it but.... it needs a good deal of work and I am not sure. Price is Right, though. Back window is broken out, brakes need work, most all the windows need to be sealed. I drove 4 hours to see it and the guy didn't bother to put gas in it or charge the battery, I didn't get to hear it run. But, for $2000, everything is there. Just not sure. Funky... Suggestions? Comments? Ideas?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Funky? Smell?

If it has an odor mold is a killer.

Past that the rest is all parts and sweat.
Beast Master,JunkyMonkey,Drinks with Wolves,Fup'd Duck,Sheriff Ricochet Cockroach 4B's 1 cluster,3 TFMS Tempory Weirdo Overlord replacement 
my mind would say there has got to be something better out there I could spend $2K on Smile Smile

my personal decision would be keep on looking LOL but your mileage may vary on how much work you want to handle.
(05-07-2019, 11:36 PM)Scott7022 Wrote: Funky? Smell?

So, would you reject a high top conversation van with a roof mounted air conditioner because the high top has been leaking, 88 van, not sure how long the leaking has gone on but I do want an environment not saturated with mold ( like this damned old house I am in St the moment)?

(05-07-2019, 11:36 PM)Scott7022 Wrote: Funky? Smell?

Funky behavior from the guy selling it....

No startee , no buyee .
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC 
ROOIRIA  
15 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  10 "Pine Cone" clusters  , one "Stinkin' Badger" and 7 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards
(What a "Stinkin' " honor !)

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to rvpopeye for this post:
  • Kaylee (05-08-2019)
If the guy didn't care enough to get it running and put some gas in it I would turn around and run away.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to weigh2ez for this post:
  • Kaylee (05-08-2019)
Leaking roof, guy didn't care that you drove 4 hours to see it, and couldn't be bothered to put gas in it or charge the battery tells me he did that because there's a good chance the van doesn't run.

I would pass on that particular one with out even blinking an eye.

My experience with $2,000 vehicles, is they usually need about that in repairs their first year. Just something to keep in mind, if you can do them yourself or know someone that will help, all the better.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Everyroadleadshome for this post:
  • Kaylee (05-08-2019)
+1 to the three excellent posts above!
That sounds like a negligent, no EQ owner.
If he treats you like that, I would not trust him to have taken reasonable care of the vehicle.

My sympathies on your housing situation. That's what pushed me into this lifestyle.
"Cause how you get there is the worthier part." Shephard Book to Kaylee, Firefly

May-10 Update:
Van engine replaced. Will be NFS dispersed camping for the next 1-2 weeks, and may not have any internet access.
Thanks for your kind & generous support! Smile