Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beginner Tips, fresh from my Newb Brain ;)
Glad YARC camp survived. They are a staple (both) when I travel. Easy to make individual servings if so wished. I carry the Baby Reds. Put whatever you want on them.

I do put a pat of butter or drizzle some olive oil in the pan before frying hash browns. I do add ketchup (to eat) when frying them though. Never thought about cracking an egg over a serving, sounds good and simple. I like simple.
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.   Angel
I have to keep an eye on sodium so a lot of that packaged food is out of the question. Too bad it is so tasty.
We buy large bags of bacon bits at Costco, and this is how I use them. I put a couple of tablespoons in a dry, small skillet. Let them sizzle a few minutes, then scramble a couple of eggs and add a bit of grated cheese. Pour that over the bacon bits and cook. It's really simple, and just a little bit of BB goes a long way! You don't need any oil or anything, either, if you have a nonstick pan.
Can do similar with potato flakes. Add chives and sour cream.
I have a fridge with a freezer which allows me a lot of options. I carry Potatoes O'brien (frozen). I put a pat of butter in the frying pan and a small handful of the potatoes in to cook. Takes awhile. When cooked, I throw in a little chopped bell pepper and a small handful of the Costco bacon bits (I carry spares as they keep well unrefrigerated). I simmer until the bacon starts sizzling and then throw an egg in. Break the yolk and stir to mix well to get the egg cooked. Put it in a flour tortilla (toasted on the gas stove) and sprinkle shredded cheese on top, roll up and eat. This could be done with freeze dried hash browns too.
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.   Angel
Snik:
I just checked my carton of "Hungry Jack" hashbrowns, and it says 300 mg per serving.
Granted, that serving size feels smaller than most would actually consume.
I suspect you can get lower sodium if you buy a #10 can. I may investigate that (purely for science, right?!?) in the future. Smile

I have not yet made them in the van, and was planning to next week, so thanks guys for the fried egg suggestion - that's perfect! Smile I was trying to decide what to make it with, given that I have only a one burner stove (as TrainChaser points out, it can be limiting/challenging). That solves that dilemna. Smile

Yea for all the bacon tips & recipes! Smile

Fire is Dangerous tip:
In honor of Blanch's elvation to Mod and her fire fiends...

Many posts ago, I recommended that you have all your ingredients & gear out & ready to go before starting cooking.
Several times I've forgotten something important or merely desireable, and didn't realize until I was mid-way thru cooking on my butane stove.
Instead of risking burning down your vehicle (or setting fire to a picnic table/etc), it's ok to shut off the gas.
Now that I say that, it seems obvious, but the first time this happened to me, I had a prolonged moment of anxiety/stress, before realizing that I could & should do so.

If whatever you're cooking needs stirring or turning, do so. If it needs flipping, do so.
Get it safe & stable, then find whatever you're missing.

This also applies when you realize your food is cooking faster than you expected. Don't stress, just shut it off. Smile

Butane canister stoves are particularly friendly about being turned "off". The canister is gently ejected.
Feel free to hold onto your pan/pot in case the ejection's vibration dislodges it.
Guess how I know that!?! Smile

P.S. Blanch, see, you're not alone in fire fiend feeding. Smile
"Cause how you get there is the worthier part." Shephard Book to Kaylee, Firefly

May-10 Update:
Van engine replaced. Will be NFS dispersed camping for the next 1-2 weeks, and may not have any internet access.
Thanks for your kind & generous support! Smile

Damn. I left my favorite cast iron griddle on the induction cook top on high heat, turned my back and the griddle cracked in about a minute.
Walden: I have (finally!) joined the Order of The Bucket. Smile
Thanks a ton for your confidence inspiring, detailed & authoritative how-to! Smile Smile

Last Friday, was going to a designated (but free) NFS Campground, but took a wrong turn. Two miles of rather challenging (to newb me) rough roads later, I pulled off into a clearing, briefly debated turning around, and decided it would be wiser to wait a few days for the roads to dry (it had been raining steadily for the previous 2 days).
That would also force me to do The Bucket Thing.

I didn't do the nesting buckets thing, purely because my 5-gal bucket is packed (yes, I'm still in Submarine Mode), but I otherwise followed your formula.

The Dollar Tree 4-gallon bags (50 for a buck) worked out well.
It's easy to get them in the 2-gallon bucket, they fall down around the sides so they're easy to gather up, tie off, and move into a zip lock.
I put my toilet paper into the bag, before tying & removing. It's one less step, and one less separate container.
The only smell was when I opened the container the previous day's wag-bag(s) is/are in, but as soon as I put the lid back, it was ok.

Roughly how much hamster bedding do you folks use?
Small/female handful? Medium? Large?
If anyone has experimented a bunch, perhaps you could share a picture of the amount in your hand (i.e. no poo required)?

Tips: My first night, I prepared my small bucket with a wag bag and hamster bedding (and lid on), so if I needed it quickly, it would be all ready to go.
After the first couple of, um, uses, I decided to prepare a few wag-bags filled with bedding, so I could pull one out & have it ready to replace the one I'd just used.
The bags are very thin & tightly packed, so it's easier to remove a bunch of them, open each fully, fill each with about a handful of bedding, then just loosely fold each a couple of times.

Has anyone tried a pool noodle?
I still haven't - figured the psychologic discomfort would greatly excede the physical discomfort, and I was right. Smile That may just be me. Smile
It's an enormous relief to have finally tackled that skill/task!

Zip lock bags are better for putting the wag-bags in. They're easier to pop open & reseal.
One kewl bonus of my mac&cheese obsession is that I have some zip-lock deli cheese bags that I had not yet thrown out, in hopes that I could reuse them for something... I have. Wink

P.S. Obligatory Firefly's Kaylee quote: Hamsters is nice. Wink
"Cause how you get there is the worthier part." Shephard Book to Kaylee, Firefly

May-10 Update:
Van engine replaced. Will be NFS dispersed camping for the next 1-2 weeks, and may not have any internet access.

you can buy toilet seats for buckets https://www.walmart.com/ip/Honey-Bucket-...gJavfD_BwE

or whole systems https://www.walmart.com/ip/Reliance-Lugg...thena=true

probably not as comfortable as a foam noodle but should seal better
Blacktank, thanks.
I'm hoping somebody has tried both and can share their opinion with us Newbs. Smile

May-10 Update: