Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mobile Mechanic Business
I really appreciate all the information. I am going to call a CPA and schedule a meeting. I really just want to be on the legal side of the equation. Plus an official business would mean getting parts cheaper so I could pass on the savings.
Not looking to get rich, just stay afloat and help some good people out. Mechanics have a terrible reputation for screwing folks over. I want to prove that there are some honest mechanics out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Baloo for this post:
  • rvpopeye (04-15-2019), Matlock (04-16-2019), Everyroadleadshome (04-17-2019)
Have you ever worked as a mechanic? Even when youre honest as possible you have tough customers.
(04-15-2019, 07:16 PM)Ddarnell Wrote: Have you ever worked as a mechanic? Even when youre honest as possible you have tough customers.

I was a service tech for Subaru and a service manager for a private dealership for many years. I currently am the maintenance manager for an aviation repair facility. Not a stranger to the industry by any means. You can’t ever please everyone, no matter how hard you try. It is the nature of the beast.

(04-15-2019, 07:23 PM)Baloo Wrote:
(04-15-2019, 07:16 PM)Ddarnell Wrote: Have you ever worked as a mechanic? Even when youre honest as possible you have tough customers.

I was a service tech for Subaru and a service manager for a private dealership for many years. I currently am the maintenance manager for an aviation repair facility. Not a stranger to the industry by any means.  You can’t ever please everyone, no matter how hard you try.  It is the nature of the beast.

Bet you never had a 1938 Taylorcraft model B, 14th made come thru the aviation shop. Delivered to Kellog airport Christmas eve 1938, flew around Kalamazoo till '41 sold to a guy in OK who hung her in a barn & went to war, never to return. Hung there 50 years till a guy from TX found & restored to to completely original. If a man can love a machine this was it for me. Now flying in Brazil. Last plane I bought was a 1st year '47 Beech Bonanza 20 ser#s from the one one Buddy Holly died in. What a great traveler. 175 on 10GPH 1000 mile range, slick as could be. No idea why they made the rock they named Sierra. Now owned by the head of aviation at Andrews Univ. Last on my bucket list is to fly a DC3, been flying people, cargo & drugs since 1935 & still doing it all over the world. Good Luck in your new endeavor Sir!
Let me recommend the best medicine in the world, a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant country, in easy stages. James Madison

So met with a CPA, definitely seems like LLC is the way to go. The whole interstate tax would be a nightmare. She advised me to just stick to one state if I am selling parts. I also learned that there is a fine line between helping a buddy and an illegal business. So definitely going to take the legitimate approach. Kinda glad I made an appointment and met with a professional. Answered a bunch of my questions, even the ones I didn’t ask!

[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Baloo for this post:
  • Everyroadleadshome (04-17-2019), Matlock (04-17-2019)
What if you don't sell parts & pay the sales tax at time of purchase or the owner buys them. Then you only have labor to deal with. As a mechanic you'd need to be licensed in each state you wotk in which I'm sure all have different rules. What about helping people with solar installs, pre buy checks or van conversions? I loved to work on things, tore down a building when I was 16 that a train hit, built a 16'x24' heated shop, poured the concrete by hand, total cost for the building complete qas $300. I wotked on friends cars for free until they started showing up with notes of what to do. I was a forklift mechanic & hated it. Didn't change my own oil for 5 years. I love to make not fix things so more power to you, Good Luck!
Let me recommend the best medicine in the world, a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant country, in easy stages. James Madison

The Mexican garage around here used to have you buy your own parts.
Customer buys parts; customer returns unused parts.  That way you don't get stuck with a bunch of leftovers you are unlikely to ever need.  Don't laugh but you could have a "ministry" or non profit and have a "suggested donation".  I'm not trying to be funny; just trying to stimulate thought
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to weigh2ez for this post:
  • Snikwahjm (04-17-2019)
I buy my own parts & take them to my mechanic. We had an oil change place a few years back at South Haven where I had my Bonanza hangered. $9.99 oil change so I asked if I brought my diesel truck & own oil & filter would the give me the 5 qts & a filter for my wifes car & use my 12 qts & filter & they did. Worked great. I havent been by there in a while but I'm sure it's gone up but still a good deal.

(04-17-2019, 08:54 AM)weigh2ez Wrote: Customer buys parts; customer returns unused parts.  That way you don't get stuck with a bunch of leftovers you are unlikely to ever need.  Don't laugh but you could have a "ministry" or non profit and have a "suggested donation".  I'm not trying to be funny; just trying to stimulate thought

Basically what i suggested and the way id do it. Way too much to deal with going "legit" to me.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Ddarnell for this post:
  • Texjbird (04-17-2019)