Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baofeng radios
Would these be able to tune in to the CB channels? If not, I wonder why they didn't put that in? Maybe it's a feature on more expensive radios?
CB Is AM these are FM
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Ddarnell for this post:
  • Wabbit (04-14-2019)
I still have a CB mounted for those caravan days and traffic. A lot easier to use than a handheld. I do have a Baofeng handheld for emergencies.
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.   Angel
(04-14-2019, 11:37 AM)Wabbit Wrote: Would these be able to tune in to the CB channels? If not, I wonder why they didn't put that in? Maybe it's a feature on more expensive radios?

CB is AM (mostly) and at about about 27 mhz, and the Baofeng lower limit (for transmit and receive) is about 136 (FM) mhz if memory serves. They are capable of receiving FM wideband broadcast from about 88 to 108 mhz. 

The CB band is much lower in frequency so the circuits in the handheld can't receive there, and even the antenna on a typical handheld VHF/UHF radio is terrribly inadequate for receiving the lower frequencies. They are tuned, or optimized, for VHF and UHF.

Actually there are SOME wideband handheld scanners that do include 27 mhz AM reception, but the limitations of the short rubber ducky antenna limit reception range, so you usually have to plug in a better antenna to be able to receive anything.

Short answer: The Baofengs are budget radios that are designed to cover VHF and UHF and that's what they do.
Frequency Range: 65-108MHz (FM Receive Only) 136-174MHz and 400-520MHz (TX/RX)

These are basically really good walkie talkies with FM radio and NOAA Wink
(04-12-2019, 06:59 PM)tx2sturgis Wrote: I have no intention of enforcing the FCC rules, hell I have broken more than a few over the years!

But it is kinda important, I think, that the actual rules be at least, understood, if not adhered to. CBers run illegal amps, hams sometimes break the rules, people who drive cars sometimes speed. 

But we all know what we are doing when we do that.

I own several Baofeng and other chinese radios me-own-self...they are not high quality, but hey, for $50 what do you expect?

They work ok most of the time. If they had AM RX and could scan aircraft frequencies, I would use them a lot more.

Having a ham license gets us a few more priviledges, so there is that. It's worth looking into!

I use my UV5R on 144.390 with a Mobilnkd TNC as a dedicated 5 watt APRS unit.  It works amazingly well for a $25 radio.   I use a Yaesu VX6 for HT comms, and an Icom 7100 for HF and 2 meter.  Don't do much 6 meter or 70 cm.

Looking forward to trying a few new antennas in Q this winter, as well as the hamfest.