Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changed my insurance and totally messed up!!
I have an RV registered in Florida. For years I was the sole caregiver for my elderly parents. (In Colorado) I never gave up my condo, etc in Florida during that time. We always believed that we would move hit the road ...but health issues overcame them too fast. After my parents died, I set out to live on the road.   Last summer I was back in East, and decided then that the heat combined with humidity and insects was just too much.

During the past winter, while I as in Arizona, I decided to rent a place from a friend in Colorado and make that my new home. It was pretty easy to get friends in Florida to ship the last of my things to the new address.

So..in January I get this bright idea that it would be really convenient for me to have everything all done and set for me when I get to Colorado in May. So.. I call my insurance company and make all the changes. That way the paper work will be waiting for me and I can get to the DMV the first day I get up there.   I will be able to get everything done on day one with the DMV... all the papers work will be done and the proof already waiting in my mail.  
A couple days ago. Called the mail service in Florida to cancel the service and send my mail to the RV Park I am at in New Mexico. I figure I can wait here a few more days for my mail.

So..mail arrived.

Florida suspended both my license and registration way back in February. Oh sh*t

Honestly, never occurred to me that this would cancel insurance as far as Florida was concerned. Nor did the insurance agency point that out to me ...I would not have done it. So much for convenience.

So..finally...my question. I have to wait a week to be sure I can drive through the mountain passes up by Cortez....then I am going straight into Colorado. I know I can get the RV registered there...insurance is already taken care of (,,,). But, my license. Ugh. 

Let’s say I get pulled over between here and there....what happens? This is my house .. complete with pet cat....

Yeah...whole thing was pretty dumb..so much for being too smart for my own good. Now what happens?
How do I get myself extracted from my mess? I realize there will be some sort of fines, etc I have to pay to Florida...but their letter indicates I cannot do this by phone.

1989 Honeywell motorhome
Ford E350 chassis.  460 engine
Yikes! I thought the story was going that you unknowingly had the insurance cancelled and then lost control of the wheel at a Bentley dealership!

How many years have I been driving without being pulled over?
Driving without a license isn't that big of a fine- It's driving after suspension, and driving after revocation that's serious.
Then there's the dreaded 'Inimical to Public Safety.'

In short, just don't speed and don't make eye contact!
Sometimes dweller in 237k miles '07 Grand C-van w/ a solar powered fridge and not much else
I always nod & smile, IMHO if you don't look it makes you look guilty.
Let me recommend the best medicine in the world, a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant country, in easy stages. James Madison

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gr8ful for this post:
  • MN C Van (04-01-2019)
Another govern-Mental mess. IMO ..I'd say shuck it to CO. If you get pulled over just take the ticket (hopefully a warning).
I'm facing a related problems atm. I'm trying to get vehicle ins on my bus. But AAA doesn't want to touch it cause vin # says its a bus. So now to find someone or somehow to insure it as an rv or van or bus ..or whatever you call it now. lol.
#NomadLivesMatter  
(04-01-2019, 01:17 PM)American Nomad Patriot Wrote: Another govern-Mental mess. IMO ..I'd say shuck it to CO. If you get pulled over just take the ticket (hopefully a warning).
I'm facing a related problems atm. I'm trying to get vehicle ins on my bus. But AAA doesn't want to touch it cause vin # says its a bus. So now to find someone or somehow to insure it as an rv or van or bus ..or whatever you call it now. lol.

need to get the dmv to title it as an rv,if your home state is to hard you might be able to get residency in a work state and title it there
if you get pulled over just tell the truth,your an rv'er and florida screwed up your license
Kat:
Welcome to Team DMV-Sucks!
We need a Badge.

I recommend you phone both Florida and Colorado, and just explain the situation.
If it's legal to do so, record all conversations.
They probably won't be much help, but it demonstrates your intent.

Last time I renewed my driver's license, took 4 attempts due to my Domicile state's widespread lack of understanding of "REAL ID". I ended up droving for a couple of months on an expired license, which caused me great anxiety, but no actual problems. The clerk who finally sorted me out, did not chide me, and was both kind & helpful Smile
As others have said, minimize your driving, and stay otherwise legal.

If your insurance is ok, that will make a huge difference.
I gather of the three, that's the one that's most important, because it proves your intent to be socially responsible. Smile

Good luck!
"Cause how you get there is the worthier part." Shephard Book to Kaylee, Firefly

Apr-23 Update:
Van engine replaced, completed first two week National Forest shakedown voyage, now heading North!
Thanks for your kind & generous support! Smile

At about 1am today, had my 2nd van police encounter (totally benign - they even let me park overnight at the local fire station), so had another thought...

Have all your documentation (Florida state cancellations & insurance stuff) of what happened in one nice easy to find container, and offer that as well as a very simple explanation (no extras).
Most cops are dedicated helpers, it's the rare twerps that most of us fear. The twerp will hassle you, so just keep the contact to the absolute minimum. With the Good Guys/Gals, a simple honest explanation with offer of documents, will be low stress. They'll probably enjoy blaming Florida. Wink
If you're just driving directly from where you found out about The Problem, to where you can fix The Problem, the good guys will cut you a break.

Please do update us. Smile
"Cause how you get there is the worthier part." Shephard Book to Kaylee, Firefly

Apr-23 Update:
Van engine replaced, completed first two week National Forest shakedown voyage, now heading North!
Thanks for your kind & generous support! Smile

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Kaylee for this post:
  • rvpopeye (04-05-2019)
Well, I made it to Cortez, CO today. Prediction is for snow/freezing rain tonight into tomorrow...so I wait till Sunday to finish the drive. I am going through Utah. No way I am going to think about the San Juan Mountains. Hey, I wouldn’t even do it without the snow cover.

I have to get back to Grand Junction to fix this (the rest of the paper work was mailed to me at that new address).

Plan it to park the rig with my favorite mechanic...pull the plates, get them and the fine mailed (certified, return receipt request). Then it can sit and wait.

I will finally put that electric bike to good use as it looks like I will stuck in GJ for a month or more with no license either.

So far no cop has stopped me. Only fear I have had was about the bored cop just run my plates cause he had nothing else to do.

1989 Honeywell motorhome
Ford E350 chassis.  460 engine
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to RoamingKat for this post:
  • rvpopeye (04-05-2019), MN C Van (04-09-2019), Kaylee (04-09-2019)
https://youtu.be/L397TWLwrUU
Sometimes dweller in 237k miles '07 Grand C-van w/ a solar powered fridge and not much else