Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LiFePo4 battery users
I agree , as use time/experience accumulates , you'll get a feeling for the battery idiosyncrasies and can respond accordingly.

Interesting reading on this thread.

I have a feeling the forum database on batteries is going to grow to huge proportions as the types of batteries increases ....
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC 
ROOIRIA  
15 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 7 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards
1 of which is a limited edition Turkey Poop Spreader (What a "Stinkin' " honor !)

Huh  I HAVE A HEADACHE  Confused

POOR POOR PITIFUL ME<<<<<<<<<ISN'T THERE A LINE IN THAT SONG "LIKE A WARING BLENDER"?

IS THERE A "MOBILE SOLAR INSTALL FOR DUMMIES" BOOK? 
IF SO SOMEONE PLEASE POST A LINK........Preeeetty Pleeeeeease and THANK YOU! Shy

JEWELL ANN
                           My Heart Is Good............But Oh This Mouth
                              I'M NOT HERE   Cool   YOU DIDN'T SEE ME
                                            I AIN'T DONE ......YET
                                                           TJB

(03-22-2019, 02:58 PM)Texjbird Wrote: IS THERE A "MOBILE SOLAR INSTALL FOR DUMMIES" BOOK? 

I have found it too complicated to explain to self-categorised Dummies that there are so many variables in individual situations for a one-size-fits-all useful Dummies book.   What is a cycle explanations usually result in heavy sighs and reaching for a strong drink.   Ratio of solar watts to battery Ah capacity discussion ends with questions of "what about winter"?   What about cloudy weather?   What about shade?   EXACTLY how long will it take to recharge the battery from over night usage?

My minor success in advising complete novices to LiFePo4 has been a simple suggestion for a basic system.    So, 100 Ah LiFePo4 battery that comes with an integral BMS.   Charged with a DC to DC 30 Amp, dual input (Solar and Alternator), with integral MPPT solar regulator.    The charger should charge to 14.1, for a nominal 12 volt battery, and turn off when the battery reaches that voltage.    The charger should be mounted close to the battery and the cable to the alternator should be big gauge copper.   400 Watts of solar panel for solar source and a bluetooth battery monitor to keep an eye on things .

Knowledgeable people can argue lots about my suggestion for a basic system.   I have found that novices always under utilise the features of the high end chargers and want to get away will smaller solar panel watts.   How you route wires and where you put things is one of those individual variables that cannot be predicted in a Dummies type book.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Ticklebelly for this post:
  • Texjbird (03-26-2019)
There you go, that is LiFePo4 for dummies.
(03-24-2019, 01:04 PM)Ticklebelly Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 02:58 PM)Texjbird Wrote: IS THERE A "MOBILE SOLAR INSTALL FOR DUMMIES" BOOK? 

So, 100 Ah LiFePo4 battery that comes with an integral BMS. 

I recognize most if not all of the terms you use.  I have no inkling of what the BMS you refer to is.
Smile Thanks for your input.

Jewell Ann
                                            I AIN'T DONE ......YET
                                                           TJB

IIRC battery management system
Stay Tuned
rvpopeye

Weirdo Overlord  YARC 
ROOIRIA  
15 "Stinkin'Badges"  a "Full Monty Badge" 2 "Just Ignore Me" clusters  4 "Pine Cone" clusters  one "Stinkin' Badger" and 7 of the coveted "Flying Manure Spreader"awards
1 of which is a limited edition Turkey Poop Spreader (What a "Stinkin' " honor !)

Yeah, as said, a Battery Management System.    The LiFePo4 battery I suggest comes as a sealed package with a couple of terminals on top.   That is all a dummy needs to get at in use.

A BMS stops over charging and over discharging.   Essentially, safety for the battery.   Peoples building their own battery will usually decide what voltage will be "full" and what voltage will be "flat" and then take care to ensure the charger does not charge to too high a voltage and they also put in some electronic thingy as a Low Voltage Cutoff to stop the discharge from going so low as to damage the battery.   Really clever people trying to get the absolute most out of their DIY set up also put some more electronic magic in there to "balance" the individual cells.    Balance is all about making sure all the individual cells in the battery are at the same voltage level.   If one cell is higher in voltage than the rest, the high cell in the battery pack will try to start charging the low cell in the battery pack.   The other need for balance is so that one cell does not go lower than the others to the point where the individual cell is damaged.   People in the EV world mostly concern themselves with a top balance and RV folk mostly concern themselves with bottom balance.   EV folk want their battery packs as full as possible when they take the vehicle off charge to go for a drive, while RV folk want to keep the fridge cold as long as possible.   Batteries best for self categorised dummies are those where the battery manufacturer has made all the decisions about what voltage the battery should get to when full and how low to go when you want it to produce power for as long as possible.   Hence my suggestion that a battery for a dummy should be one that comes with an integral BMS.
Okay, now I know enough to know that I need more awareness about my usage and my environment. Hanging out in the desert during July and August will have a big impact on lifetime. I already have the desire to travel during those months, but never plan enough in advance. This year I want to change that and be more proactive to the temp changes.
My expectation is when one of my current FLA systems needs replacing in the future, I would replace with LiFePo4 or if I had a new project.
This has been a useful thread on LiFePo4 for me.
Thank you RoamingKat and the contributors.
WELL I'VE LEARNED AT LOT ON THIS THREAD.

ONE NEW THING IS THAT THE REPETITIVE USE OF THE TERM "DUMMY" TO IDENTIFY A PERSON OTHER THAN ONES OWNSELF IN MY OPINION IS NOT ONLY BEING A JERK IT'S ALSO BEING A JACKASS.

MY CURRENT GETTING ON MY LAST NERVE LIST

1.  WHINING

2.   BOREDOM

3.    JERKS/JACKASSES

NOW I'M DONE.....FOR NOW

JEWELL ANN
                                            I AIN'T DONE ......YET
                                                           TJB

The BMS system also limits or stops charging current in the event of sub-freezing or extremely hot ambient temps. This prevents battery damage and in the case of high charge or discharge current, also can prevent thermal run-away.

It's not just a system to prevent 'dummies' from breaking their (or OUR) expensive battery, its for all of us.

Like the charge protection built-in to any lithium battery powered device: smartphones, laptops, cordless tools, e-bikes, etc.

Not unlike the protections built in to other things we use everyday, like automobiles with an engine rev-limiter, or the speed limiter so you dont end up with overheated tires, (lawyers won that round), or the thermal fuse in a space heater, or the GFCI outlets in newer homes, or for that matter, any fuse or circuit breaker in ones home or vehicle.

It's not just for 'dummies'....a BMS in a lithium battery is for everyone that uses them.
Wondering about Wandering.