Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Van as a tow vehicle?
So, we need something capable of towing the TT, which is 4689 lbs UVW (of course more with full tanks, cargo, etc.)

DH and I have kicked around the idea of towing with a van rather than a truck. It'd be nice to have the storage space, the possibility of converting it, etc.

Is this feasible? Recommended? Why or why not?
a full sized v8 1 ton van will work just fine,with a truck you can get 4x4
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Blacktank for this post:
  • Heidi Mull (01-28-2019)
Vans are very underapreciated tow vehicles. With so much covered they are really good for storage. A properly equipped 3/4 or 1 ton (no extended Fords or Dodges due to frames being shorter than the body) with a weight distributing hitch can tow as much as any truck. Plus since vans rarely are diesel, they can have even higher payloads.

In my past I used a v10 Ford E350 std length passenger van to tow a 24’ TT with, family rode in the van and the trailer pulled easily except for mountains. I just knew how to use the TT brake controller and kept the elect brakes set up correctly. Gas mileage was 8 but hey, that was expected.
They say when you get older two things happen, one is you lose your memory and the other, I forget.

Organized people are simply too lazy to search for stuff.
I use to tow with a van and loved it. I'd replace my Expedition with one someday except I would miss the comfort and real 4 wheel drive.
You would have an RV with spare room -- how could you lose?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to TrainChaser for this post:
  • Heidi Mull (01-29-2019)
I used to tow with an 03 Chevy Express 2500 and loved it. Had the 5.3 and she towed very well.

I wanted 4x4 for Maine winters, otherwise I would have bought another van instead of my pick up.
IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED THAT 4X4 FORD E350 DUALLY ON THE DOTHAN AL CRAIGS LIST DROPPED TO $10,000 A FEW DAYS AGO

IT'S A MONSTER     I LIKE IT     JUST DOUBT I COULD AFFORD ANY MAJOR REPAIRS. 

IT HAS A V10 & LESS THAN 100K MILES

JEWELL ANN
                           My Heart Is Good............But Oh This Mouth
                              I'M NOT HERE   Cool   YOU DIDN'T SEE ME
                                            I AIN'T DONE ......YET
                                                           TJB