Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Induction cooktops
Snik...

I too had to make choices based on available space. My roof is 7’ wide and 18’ long. I have two roof vents, two solar panels (325 watts each...but, I did have 345 watts up there originally). And a passive solar hot water heater.

I installed lithium batteries. Smaller foot print, less weight, much greater capacity. And, I do not need A generator...saving space and avoiding having to carry gasoline.

I have a 2000w inverter/charger. I run the induction surface a few minutes each day...even in December I get enough sun to replace the battery loss. At 150 AH to run...that is just 12.5 Amps to run for 5 mintues. That is more than enough time to bring anything to a boil....as you point out, it will bring a boil really fast. Like with pasta...you can turn it off and cover it...it will coast to done without having to boil the whole time.

For longer term cooking, I rely heavily on my solar oven.

1989 Honeywell motorhome
Ford E350 chassis.  460 engine
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to RoamingKat for this post:
  • rvpopeye (12-06-2018), Snikwahjm (12-06-2018)
Kat, pics of passive solar water heater? What did u do? Sounds great.
monkeyfoot
I have those pictures in offline storage now...but you can go over to the other site and look up conversion project for honey.

All it is is just black hose in a coil. It is held in place with a frame...then the whole thing painted black and coated in UV protection.

I got the idea from a friend who uses a series of black hose coils to heat his swimming pool. Just pays for the electricity to run the pump, which he has to run anyway.

1989 Honeywell motorhome
Found it.....

1989 Honeywell motorhome
So I would need larger capacity solar panels, a bigger investor and a couple better batteries. It might end up a space trade off though. But then again it would be just one system to try to keep track of with the super sized panels, etc.