Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roofrack for my van
B and C has used Velcro for three years with no reported problems. Sounds to me like the proper strength Velcro is the way to go.
(12-09-2018, 07:35 AM)TWIH Wrote:
(12-05-2018, 07:52 AM)B and C Wrote: OK.  I guess it might be kosher to cross post to that "other" forum.

https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/sho...?tid=15681

This details my 400 watt system.  I like it the way I installed it because it gives me the best of both worlds; permanent and portable.
As that was an older thread you posted/authored, what has been your “x months product review update” on all parts of your system? 

The “knock” on the earlier generation panels was longevity and solar wattage production. How have yours faired? What about the use of velcro and HDR’s longevity concerns?

The newest Renogy flex panels are supposedly re-engineered to prevent the failure points that plagued the older ones. I haven’t read too much about the new ones failing.

Please update us when possible.

Thanks

I think they have only been in service for about three years.  The posting dates on that thread would be more accurate.

My WindyNation panels are holding their own.  Haven't noticed any degradation of output even on my two portable ones.  I do try not to flex them too much getting them in and out of their storage space though.  I do have to flex them some.

My velcro shows no sign of letting go anytime soon.  The adhesive is quite strong as well as the bond between the two halves.  Key is cleanliness when installing.

VHB attached items can be removed with piano wire but that just gets your panel off.  Not sure how you get the other two halves to release from what they are stuck too.  I think VHB has a foam core between the two sticky sides.  I will probably have the same problem getting the velcro unstuck from the roof or panels though if I ever want to remove them.  With age I can foresee the velcro tearing and being a pain to get off if I ever try to remove it.
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.   Angel
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to B and C for this post:
  • TWIH (12-09-2018)
Appreciate the update. I’d much prefer to use a new tech flex panel when I eventually need it for a rooftop mount. I just can’t bring myself to install an alum framed glass panel on the Edge roof.
"Life is short, smile while you still have teeth."
I wasn't going to drill holes in fiberglass to mount either. Flexible was the only way for me to go. Then it came time to choose a mounting method. I figured if the panels ever crapped out, I could at least change them somewhat easily. Pull 'em off and stick new half of velcro to them and reattach. No trying to get something like VHB off and then restick.
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.   Angel
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to B and C for this post:
  • TWIH (12-09-2018)
Totally agree.

Did you get that appx 6” of rain late last week (Friday?) that Houston got? We have 6+ inches of snow with ice to come here in North Carolina.
"Life is short, smile while you still have teeth."
We got about 4 1/2 inches here near NW Houston. No real storms, just steady overnight and morning.
Brian