Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
87 dodge b250
I’m totally seeing Kaylee staring at that strawberry “oh grandpa”, “I never married”. LOL!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Queen for this post:
  • Kaylee (12-10-2018)
Thanks Ser-Gary-of-the-black-water!
I sent that to them this morning.

No word.
Zippo.
Nada.
Frustrating. Sad

P.S. Queen, we need a "LOL!" button! I promise, I'll investigate... Code's "just got workings, and they talk to me". Wink
"Cause how you get there is the worthier part." Shephard Book to Kaylee, Firefly
[Image: dobby.png]

2019-Dec update:
I've escaped Winter!
Finally got this from them:
Quote:Valves needed grinding. Heads were warped 6,000ths and needed to be planed. We will also install new spark plugs, thermostat, coolant and do an oil change. There is no guarantee on the engine oil consumption because we are unable to see inside the engine.
They're getting the heads back from the machine shop this pm, and will start reassembling/etc, and expect to have everything done by the end of Friday.

No word yet on price.
I'm braced for impact.

Sanity checks welcome!
( Translations into Captain-Dummy-Talk & cost estimates also welcome Smile )
"Cause how you get there is the worthier part." Shephard Book to Kaylee, Firefly

2019-Dec update:
I've escaped Winter!
Once they pulled the heads they could see into the cylinders. Everything must have looked good or they would have told you.

It's very likely the oil consumption was caused by bad valves and valve seals in the heads. That's what they are fixing.

As long as you haven't been seeing pools of oil under the van you should be good to go.

It sounds like you are in good hands from what you've posted so far. When you get back on the road keep an eye on it until you are comfortable with what's going on.

Hang in there, woman. The road will soon get smoother for you. Terry
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ratfink56 for this post:
  • Kaylee (12-13-2018)
Terry, thanks a ton! Smile #phew

Never saw a pool under the van. Didn't check every morning, but usually did at least a cursory look.
Will definitely be checking oil level at each gas fill up!

Any idea what this may cost?
When he said it was going to take more than a full day to reassemble, I got (more) worried.

2019-Dec update:
I've escaped Winter!
Milling the heads 0.006" is not much. Grinding the valves and new valve stem seals will hopefully take care of your problem. With the heads removed, the cylinder walls evidently were not scored. :-)

Assembly takes longer than disassembly because all the bolts have to torqued to specs.

I'm with Gotsmart that new head bolts would be prudent.
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.   Angel
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to B and C for this post:
  • Kaylee (12-13-2018)
Parts didn't arrive when they expected. Now scheduled for first thing tomorrow. Might have to stay the weekend. #sigh

Brian, thanks - very reassuring! Smile

2019-Dec update:
I've escaped Winter!
Kaylee, your patience could give a Buddhist monk a run for his money. Way to go!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Queen for this post:
  • Kaylee (12-14-2018)
Thanks Queen! Smile
Serenity helps. Wink

Well, they're almost finished.
The engine is back together.
He had a few last minute recommendations of things that are highly worn (e.g. alternator belt), two of which they needed parts for. Fortunately, he's a workaholic, and offered to come in tomorrow, first thing, to finish it off.
He figures I should be able to hit the road around 10am.

Paid the bill... about $2400. #eek
They did replace a bunch of other worn parts, and he did go over things with me, so it is what it is.

P.S. Left the nice WI motel 4 weeks ago today. #sigh

2019-Dec update:
I've escaped Winter!
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Kaylee for this post:
  • rvpopeye (12-14-2018), Matlock (12-16-2018)
You are doing OK at this and things should be better. You now have a story of your adventure:-) Remember your signature, "Cause how you get there is the worthier part."
Brian

2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile "The Beast" (it has been tamed hopefully)  I feed it and it doesn't bite me.   Angel
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to B and C for this post:
  • Kaylee (12-14-2018)